1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Elders

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by hawg_427, Jan 2, 2007.

1. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

My church is a small sister church of a large Southern Baptist church. They just don't have the word Baptist anywhere in their name. Is this unusual? Also how are most of the financial records ( offering amts) posted in your churches? I still have not seen ours. No record of incoming and outgoing $$ Last but not least the church does not use the word Elders, even though it is used in the Bible.

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    hey, hawg_427:

Personally, I am a stickler for the use of the word "Baptist". I feel more comfortable when the church I am a part of uses that word because to me it means they love and respect the history, practices and traditions of their church. More so if besides retaining the word "Baptist" as part of their church's name, they actually preach and practice historically Baptistic doctrines, because I believe the closest one can come to with regards to the New Testament church is to join a Baptist church. Especially an Old Fashioned Primitive Baptist church (pardon the plug-in:smilewinkgrin: ).

However, I treat this more like the King James Only controversy.

What good is it if the church is pastored by a Bible-thumping, hellfire-and-brimstone, saliva-spewing "Elder", if at the end of the sermon from the King James Version, the sinner's will is more sovereign than the Creator's ?

I would rather go to a church which doesn't care what version you use as long as Christ is preached crucified, glorified, and coming Lord of lords and King of kings, and the sinner is placed where he should be, at the mercy and disposal of a just and merciful God.

Get the drift ?

As for the money, that is a subject so touchy I'll let the more venerable Baptist Board members touch it.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't care whether or not a church preaches "Baptist" messages.... as long as they are biblical messages.

I don't care if they call their leaders "elders" rather than pastors.... because as you pointed out, it's biblical.

I want my church to be BIBLICAL much more than I want it to be BAPTIST (and hopefully the two meet).
    After all I don't think there were any churches that called themselves a "Baptist Church" for most of the churchs' history.
    That's not what's important!

Regarding church finances, to each church it's own, some churches want the members to vote on everything (tuna fish or ham for the church picnic?), others just vote once a year on an annual budget.

Rob

#3 Deacon, Jan 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2007
  4. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

What is a Primitive Baptist Church?

:jesus: Since I am a new christian and Southern Baptist, what is a Primitive Baptist Church?

5. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Money

I don't really worry about voting on money issues unless it is a large amt. I just want to know what is coming in each month.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of these new Baptist churches that hide their Baptist identity retain at least some self-evident identification such as "Church," "Bible," or "Christian."
    What exactly is a Southern Country Fellowship?
    Being mistaken for a rural fraternal organization (the Grange, 4-H?, or even something less benign) would seem to be something to take into consideration.

My church prints the previous week's offering total in the bulletin and distributes a detailed financial report quarterly. Awareness of the church's needs promotes individual involvement through giving and prayer.

Most Baptist churches are led by pastor(s) and deacons.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

They meet in caves :D

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The early church had elders (plural). This is one of the beefs I have with most baptist churches...a single elder (pastor) and a bunch of deacons serving the role of elders. Why not just call the deacons elders in the first place? This would be like calling the quarterback on a football team "coach".

9. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

and everywhere I go
    there's always something to remind me
    of another place and time
    of a love that travelled far and found me

10. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    oh, webdog, you naughty boy !!:D

I ain't goin' thattaway, hawg, you bein' a new Christian and all.
    But you can google us, though.

11. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Sfc

Southern Country Fellowship, our church services are held in a cattle auction place, very nice place but auctions are held twice a year. Very upscale expensive cattle but cows non the less. LOL The owner is a very nice christian that lets us meet there and charges no rent or elec. bills. We are trying to get our own place but the money is just not there yet. We have another year to get on our own feet before the helping hands stop.

12. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Have you attended one of the business meetings? This is one place where you will have an account of the income.

13. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Being a new church, I would imagine that your church leaders are prepared to answer questions about the name, leadership, and financial practices. Make an appointment to speak with your pastor and see what he says.

Now, if they won't answer...then you might have an issue. (been there)

14. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Unfortunately, it is becoming less unusual. Many Baptists want to dissociate from the word because many people view Baptists as backward, ultra-hyper-fundamental Republicans who will condemn anyone and everyone to hell in the same breath that they want to save them to heaven. I told a lady one time that I was Primitive Baptist. SHe told me, "Oh, Baptists are pretty similar to Catholics", which she was. "Catholics go to the liquor store to buy their liquor and Baptists sneak in and out the back." Basically, she viewed Baptists as hypocrites. It seems to me that the reason churches are taking the Baptist out of the name is to fool new people into coming in who otherwise might not do so. My take is, if people are actually serious in their search for a church, they will go in and see what the church is preaching and teaching. I don't want to have to be sneaky in order to get people inside.

We have a Treasurer who gives a report at each conference, held quarterly, in which he accounts for money taken in and spent during the quarter. It is usually broken down into basic groups, rather than line item. Phone bill, electric, etc, and Preacher gifts, flowers (funerals and such), food, etc. He doesn't list each can of tuna bought with church funds. I'll have to bring that up at the next meeting.:smilewinkgrin:

For Primitive Baptists, the term Elder refers to any man who has been ordained and set apart by a presbytery for the work of the gospel ministry. We use the term Pastor for what you might call the head Elder in the church. He is elected by the church each year and serves as the final authority (aside for them Bible of course) on matters involving what is preached in the pulpit, and typically serves as Moderator over meetings. FYI, while the Pastor does preside over the pulpit, the church always has the authority to "fire" him if we don't agree with his doctrinal decisions. The other Elders you might call Assistant Pastors, although we don't, but they do function, if there are several in a church, in an advisory capacity to the Pastor. The Deacons carry out the so-called mundane activities of the church; cleaning, taking out the trash, making coffee, serving the Lord's Supper, etc. Our Deacons also function as the trustees of the church property. The Pastor and Elders have no say in money decisions, at least no more than any other member, while the Deacons do have some discretion, as determined by the church.

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I heard a missionary talk about a church in a South American country where he served. It posted on the wall the amount given by each member. Folks could figure out for themselves how much money was coming in. They could also figure out a few other things as well.

He didn't say how the spending was accounted for.