1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Election before Time?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

The approach is all wrong here, from both of you, IMO. You both make the same mistake by presuming that Paul is speaking about God's choice of individuals to salvation, but that is not the case (as I just explained). Let me give an illustration as an example.

Suppose there was an army recruiter who works all year recruiting soldiers. He made appeals to many students, and in a year's time he successfully signs up 100 recruits. Now, those 100 solders were all assigned to the same troop and the recruiter writes them saying, "I chose you to be the best conditioned soldiers before this season ever began. I predetermined to mentor and train you to be the best fighting force this army has ever seen!"

Does that mean that he didn't attempt to recruit other soldiers? Of course not. The intent is simply to point out what these men were called to be, not to exclude the possibility that others might have accepted the recruiter's appeal to join the army. Make sense?

I'm not asking you to agree. Just confirm that you understand this perspective.

2. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I wouldn't say that only the poor in the world were chosen. Of course James is only referring to the ones that were being persecuted and told the people that even the poor have been chosen.

3. Skandelon

Was that response meant for me, because that didn't address my post? Did you mean that as a response to Van's post earlier?

4. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I was addressing...
    Maybe I didn't understand your point.

5. Skandelon

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what God's choosing of only the poor and James has to do with my post. I'm trying to follow, I really am, but I am completely confused by that response...

6. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Paul, James....I misread the name.

Are you saying that there are other people that get saved that God didn't choose to save? Or are you saying that Ephesians 1 isn't about election to salvation, adoption...

7. Skandelon

No, I'm saying that God has chosen for believers ("us") to be adopted and to be conformed to his image. NOT, that God has chosen for certain individuals to become believers. Please go back and read the army illustration again with that in mind and maybe it will make more sense.

Adoption is not equated with salvation (justification). In Romans 8 Paul says we (believers) are eagerly awaiting our adoption, so that is something that isn't complete within us, but we KNOW it is coming because God has predestined that all who believe will be adopted.

Understand? Again, I'm not asking for agreement. I just want confirmation that you understand this perspective.

8. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

You can't have one without the other. You can't separate one part of salvation(justification) with adoption.

I understand what you are saying. You are saying that God has chosen that those that get saved he will do.....(adoption...)

9. Skandelon

I agree. You can't separate them. If someone chooses to follow Christ by faith (justified), God has predetermined that they will be adopted.

I can't tell if you really do understand based upon this statement alone.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wasn't this the same conversation we just had? :)

11. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Maybe. The choosing that God did was for all aspects of salvation. He chose to save you. That includes justification, regeneration, sanctification, adoption, glorification... The election was personal. It's just not that God has decided to adopt those that get saved(which he has of course) but that he chose all parts of salvation. He chose to save you.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are taking "chose" to a place Scripture does not. Of course He chose all points of salvation including the means and details, but that doesn't logically preclude He chose you "for" salvation as you are connecting it to.

13. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

So you separate that out. He only chose us for parts after justification. Are you saying that there is no election for salvation?

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No, I'm denying your understanding of election unto salvation.

15. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

And by what I have said here, what understanding is that?

16. Skandelon

But the scripture doesn't actually say all that. It only tells us what believers are predestined to become. It never says that certain individuals are predestined/chosen to become believers. You are presuming that on to the text.

Agree. He chose to save me, someone who confessed with my mouth and believed in my heart that Jesus is Lord. He chose to adopt all who believe.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The way you have handled that particular text. As Skan has pointed out, you read more into it than is there. Believers are predestined to be conformed into Christ's image...that is the truth of the text. Anything added to that is eisegesis.

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    10-page limit

Thankful that God knew me (intimate relationship) before the foundation of the world and chose me to be the undeserving recepient of His grace.

The whole debate on election hinges on who does the electing. Some on the thread speak of God selecting men to receive unmerited grace. Others of man selecting God.

Interesting to see the hearts demonstrated in the words here (out of what is stored in the heart comes our words).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.