1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Elementary Greek book

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by abcgrad94, Nov 6, 2007.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My husband has requested an elementary style Greek book for Christmas, one that will help him understand the language better. He doesn't know Greek and doesn't want a Greek dictionary, just a book that will explain it (like what types of verbs, etc.)

Do you know of anything like this that I could get him for Christmas?

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Basics of Biblical Greek

by William D. Mounce

There is also a helpful CD-Rom that I believe still comes with the book and a workbook you can use along with it.

3. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Go with Mounce Basics of Greek Grammar, for it is the best right now.

5. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for your help. I'll check these out.

6. s8147817430

s8147817430 New Member

7. SeekingHisTruth

SeekingHisTruth New Member

8. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

I think I am a good example of "the rest of us".

I do not have time or possibility to learn greek properly. I am not at a seminary. But, i find it useful to use strongs, or similar, to check the greek word behind my translation. It useful for me to know the difference between agape and eros, even if swedish and english has only on word karlek/love. It is good for me to be ableot read an interlinear and being able to read the greek and spell Bema. It good for me to follow the discussion in a commentary.

I will not stand up in a sermon to discuss the greek text of a passage, I will not show important grammatical points in a Bible study.

But, as one of the rest of us, my Bible reading and Bible study will be deeper if I know some greek and can use those helpful tools that exist. And, when I in a small group presents my understanding of a chapter, it will perhaps be better and more to the glory of God.

So, I think the rest of us is those that are not pastors or studying to become a pastor, but who would love to know some greek to better understand the Bible.

9. andyc

andyc New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A great beginning book on Greek is Learn to Read New Testament Greek by David Alan Black. It's the best I have seen. You might also try the introductory book by John Dobson which is inductive and thus quite different.

You could also purchase greek lessons to be taken online. It can be quite hard to learn by yourself.
    [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]