1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Elevation of women in the church and in society

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Cutter, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Your own words have identified you as such. That is like saying, "Black people need to know their place, but I'm not a racist!"

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

If I moderated this particular forum I would suggest everyone taking a deep breath at this stage :)

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Well, I am not mad at anybody, but I have no tolerance for bigotry.

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Which would be one of the reasons that some humor injected is a good thing from time to time . . .

I've also noticed that we as humans have a difficult time being consistent. I come to expect certain things from posters -- certain reactions (as I'm sure people do from me) and I'm surprised when I don't see that happening. We are complicated in our humaness and our Christian walks.

(I'm also outside, and have been for a while - with a glare on the screen -- so more mistakes than usual may occur ;) )

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Me neither ;)

I'm enjoying the debate :wavey:

6. Milady

Milady New Member

Magnetic Poles

Please refrain from calling my husband (Dale) names! He is a wonderful husband, who Loves God, Does his best to do His will and he LOVES ME TOO! I don't know where you get off degrading a fellow christian like that.

According to Isaiah 3 it says:
    12 As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths

As far as the whole feminism post..... there are a few things that I personaly believe about Feminism.
    1. The sin that caused God to throw Satan out of Heaven ( Adam and Eve out of the Garden too ) was that they wanted to be like God.
    2. God punished Eve further in that He made her subject to her husband. Notice that God did not have her subjected to Adam before the fall.
    3. Women rulers are a judgement from God. (see Isaiah above )
    4. God has used Christ and the church as a Picture of a marriage.
    a. Do you think that Jesus (as the bridegroom ) should be equal/subject to the BRIDE???
    Please go back and study your bible about this. Apparently you missed a few things

7. Milady

Milady New Member

Oops.. I posted when my wife was still logged in :( sorry.

#67 Milady, Jul 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2007
  8. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Even worse is those "sinful short haired women". (G.I Barber)

He said it better than anyone. " We'll never have a revival in America if we don't get the men into the barber shops and the women out of the beauty parlors."

Women, get back to making bisuits, or we are a doomed country.:laugh:

BTW, I'm one of those that couldn't make it in todays economy without the help of my wife working.

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. In a society where a rabbi would pray, Thank you, O Lord, that you didn't make me a woman, Jesus comes along and elevates the status of womanhood.

2. Women ministered to Jesus. They journeyed the Via Dolorosa and were the last to leave the Calvary scene.

3. They were the first to come to the empty tomb.

4. They were present with the disciples on Pentecost in the room of prayer when the Mighty Spirit of God came upon them all.

5. I love my sisters in Christ, and I so thankful to have them around.

6. I don't know what we brothers would be without them, in and out of the home, functioning as God so ordained.

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I heard it once as "America went wrong when young people started dressing wrong!"
    I think people are confusing cause and effect when they say that.
    I like women to have long hair (long is relative though...no exact Biblical standard for what constitutes long) but long hair is a symptom. It is not the problem.

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I agree. I think we need to elevate them once more to their proper position and free them from the bonds of feminism.
    I know many great Christian ladies who do follow Biblical roles and as far as I can tell, all have happy households.
    We should thank God that not all are feminists and that there are a great many good women out there. Especially the one with her hands on my shoulders while I type :)

12. JerryL

JerryL New Member

It was satire. I posted Barbers(a made up preacher on a satire sermon) words as a joke. I no doubt am thankful to have a working wife. I get a kick out of stuff like what was said in the OP.

13. npetreley

npetreley New Member

(And I wish she'd go away so I can type what I REALLY think...)

Just kidding, Mr. and Mrs. Dale. ;)

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. That's so kool!

2. Thanks, Mrs. Dale-C, for giving him permission to say that.:thumbs:

15. bound

bound New Member

Salve!

I draw similar conclusions from a review of Scripture. Note, it is not uncommon with 'any' of the axial religions (Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, etc). Clearly the focus of these faiths was not equally shared between men and women alike but emphasized greater weight upon 'man' (i.e. used in the singular sex sense). Anyone who has encountered this 'revelation' eventually ponders the question 'why'?

Perhaps, women being largely burdened with the birth and rising of the next generation simply didn't yield them enough time to directly influence their societies and religions? Perhaps, as feminist groups have charged for the last hundred years, patriarchal societies exercised control and oppression on the 'fairer' sex? Frankly, I simply don't know but it would be my 'hope' that Scripture is 'objective' and not a historic piece of patriarchal propaganda used to establish authority over women.

Placed on the larger context of the Christian Message, this discussion is actually 'not' about women 'at all' but about the 'intent' of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. To the Liberation Theologian of the turn of the century, Jesus is 'primarily' seen as a social critic and champion of the disenfranchised and only 'secondarily' as the revealer of the objective moral truths of the Father and the Saviour of all mankind. Liberation Theology seeks to label minority groups within the larger society as a dual means to establish a sense of 'injustice' due to an appearance of 'inequality' and thus create a sense of 'victimhood' among said minority groups. In Liberation Theology, society is not seen as an 'organic whole' suffering 'equally' in a state of sin... each individual member suffering in a state of individual sin. Instead, society is divided by the privileged majority whom allow the continuation of social injustices which unequally burden the lives and welfare of those minorities whom have established their own sense of victimhood. This sense of victimhood serves dual roles as a badge of honor and spiritual privilege among those whom espouse Liberation Theology because it is seen as evidence for their association with Jesus as social liberator and champion of the oppressed. In addition, it serves as an effective distraction from personal failings and sins and the Gospel call for obedience to an objective moral standard.

Although it must be recognized that our Lord and Saviour called for the lifting up of those in society whom find themselves suffering we cannot fool ourselves that such activity or status exempt us from the call of 'self' liberation from 'person' sin and through that 'interior' work society will be transformed. Any efforts to the contrary will be mixed with further injustice, inequity, and self-righteousness and so the circle will continue to the end of time.

16. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Hey, I AM the head of my house!
    My wife told me I could be! :)

17. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I hate to tell you Dale, but neither you nor Milady are the head of your house. That cute little girl in you avatar is the head of your house. Just ask her and she'll be glad to clarify it for you! :laugh: :laugh:

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Your remark about making bisquits reminded me of a member of the BB who didn't think women should be posting because we were "teaching men". He told me I need to go home and bake some cookies! :laugh:
    He was banned later that day.

Don't mess with the BB sisters!

[​IMG]

19. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

To be fair, you started it.

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I hear you, sister!

2. You have my respect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.