1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by tinytim, Mar 19, 2008.

1. standingfirminChrist

It's awful funny that you (and others) say I am wrong all the time and you are right.

Seems to me that you think of yourselves holier than thou.

God doesn't just speak to you, nor does satan try to deceive me only.

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

He could hardly breathe. These were his last moments. Imagine the agony He felt as he tried to muster the strength to speak. Pushing down on His pierced feet, pulling up on His pierced hands/wrists. Thirsy. Beaten. Hurting. You cant tell me he didnt know all of that Psalm.

Could you point me to some verses that indicate that the turning of his back on His son is what gives us access to Him? (not the veil being rent, that doesnt prove that He turned His back on Jesus)

Thanks.

3. standingfirminChrist

My wife has already given verses, I gave verses. You reject them.

You are always right, I am always wrong.

4. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

What?!? You and I have never tied up to my recollection. I resent that and I will not continue to bite the bait. Iron is supposed to sharpen iron. You are not teachable. :wavey:

5. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Matthew 26:39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

What was this cup? Jesus knew that He would bear the sins of the entire world in His body on the cross. And He knew that He would be forsaken by His Father when He bore our curse on the cross and His Father would have to turn His face away from the Son. That is why there was darkness on the earth when He was crucified. That is why the Son of God cried out on the cross, “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” That cup was not the physical suffering of Jesus (although His physical suffering was horrific), but the cup was His "spiritual" suffering of bearing our sins in His body on the cross and being forsaken by His Father during that period of time.

#25 Linda64, Mar 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2008
  6. standingfirminChrist

I am teachable when it comes to solid Biblical truth.

Re-read Psalm 22 and notice when the chapter changes from David speaking in a singular voice to that of speaking to others.

verse 23 clearly shows who the afflicted is in verse 24... 'Hear ye people.'

What about the people? They were crying out because of affliction.

verse 24... Deliverance! The one who cries 'why?' in verse 1 has bought deliverance for the afflicted in 23 and 24.

Seems I am teachable after all.... are you?

BTW, we have banged heads in the past... how soon we forget.

7. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Well I agree with the first part of that, but I cant see in that passage how we can conclude that God would (or did) forsake him. Where do we learn that His Father would HAVE to turn His face away in order for us to receive access to Him?

(thanks for the nice discussion) lol :love:

#27 TaterTot, Mar 20, 2008
  8. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Well I guess I forgive and forget cause I dont remember banging heads with you. I have watched many others do so tho lol.

That is the beauty of the OT. You cannot understand the New unless you lookt hru the lens of the old. Its beautiful and intricately done. What an intelligent and awesome God we have!

9. standingfirminChrist

One cannot truly understand and know fully why Christ had to come to earth to die on the cross without going into the Old Testament. Christ said in John 5:39 that the Scriptures testify of Him

10. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

:thumbs:

11. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Wow, SFIC, I just saw this one. Do you not recall that I was the one that took up for you the other night by posting a scripture when some others were beating on ya? Gracdious. :rolleyes:

12. standingfirminChrist

Tater, if you were, I don't remember. But thanx.

Anyway, it seems lately, I am the one who is always wrong and everyone else is right.

I am very careful when it comes to Scripture and when I see a promise in the Word, I am careful to believe it. When I see clear teaching, I believe it. Because of this, I am attacked often. But it encourages me, for Christ said I would be persecuted for His name's sake.

The more attacks, the more He strengthens me, so I am getting more and more like a ram who defends his territory by banging his head when others challenge. lol.

13. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

#33 Linda64, Mar 20, 2008
  14. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Sure. If ya took off the boxing gloves at times, I think people might tend to be a little more able to exchange ideas and thoughts. There is nothing wrong with discussing things from different points of view. Night!

15. standingfirminChrist

Problem is, and I am sure you have seen it, I post my view and the attacks from those who disagree with me begin. And they don't attack my view, they attack me.

Just as tinytim did in the thread tonight.

16. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I share tatertot’s view precisely. When Jesus said, “if it be possible, take this cup from me” it shows that He knew what was coming and had fear of it in the human form; He was then comforted. Don’t really think it could be taken that He didn’t want to fulfill the atonement which was set before the foundation.

I would add that this saying was Jesus quoting prophesied scripture, that He very well knew, and believe it was because He was always teaching who He was, and continue to even from the cross in fulfilling the words writen about 600 years before.

#36 Benjamin, Mar 20, 2008
  17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

“Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?” which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

Jesus said that the Father forsook Him. This verse is straightforward in what it says.

There's nothing enigmatic about it.

18. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So is this prophetic verse:

(Psa 22:24) For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.

Why was Jesus allowed to die on the cross? We now know, and I believe this was the point of the saying, Jesus was calling our attention to the truth of who He was, by referring to the scriptural Psalm, which includes Psa 22:24.

#38 Benjamin, Mar 20, 2008
  19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Now that sounds like good preaching... You really took me there... :thumbs:

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Elaborate?

God the Son let the mortal Jesus? Nah, I believe that happened at into thy hands etc...

Did the trinity divide itself as in the Father and Comforter were apart from the Son?

Perhaps forsaken as in the sense of the pain and torment he endured to pay for the sins of the world?