1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Emergency!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by dh1948, Mar 7, 2008.

1. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I hope they are both ok! I only wish I lived closer to Memphis...

but it's outrageous that the airline would not put her up in a hotel! Most airlines that I know of will, especially when it's a weather-related cancellation....it's not like she was late and missed her flight out...

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We're supposed to have over a foot of snow by tomorrow morning here in Buffalo.
    Already I've shoveled the driveway and sidewalk twice today so it won't have that much snow by tomorrow morning.
    I was heading out to pick my wife up from work about 4 pm this afternoon when I got stuck right at the turn on the road coming out of the driveway, car was half-in and half-out.
    This complete stranger walking his two dogs stopped and helped me get out of that situation.
    Shoveled all around the car and pushed me out.
    Invited him in for coffee, but politely said he needs to be on his way because he needs to pick up his wife too.
    Now, somebody on this board once told me that he hadn't met a warm-hearted person when he was in Buffalo.
    I guess there's always an exception to every rule, eh ?
    That there fella didn't have to stop and help, but he did.

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

This thread was started on the 7th. Today is the 9th.

What is going on? Is everyone all right?

With all of the offers of help, I would surely think we should have some news...

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would love to be able to give a report to those who I contacted. I am wondering if he just got in his car and went after her from S. alabama.

5. I Am Blessed 24

Very possible, especially with a baby involved. That's probably what I would do...

6. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We live 2 hours west of Memphis. I didn't see this thread until tonight.

7. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Good grief, have those people lost their minds!!! What are they gonna do, just take them to a street corner somewhere and turn them all loose????

I have prayed for this situation, and trust that everything will be OK.

Mike

8. skypair

skypair Active Member

I moved from Memphis in November. Still had friends that but didn't see the post till next morning. Sorry. Hope all is well now.

skypair

9. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Overwhelmed!

I am overwhelmed at all the responses to my plea! I apologize for posting earlier how all of this worked out. The responses just proves that the people on this board have a heart to reach out to those who are in such dire straits because, we be brethren.

Here's how it all played out....

Renee's husband, Donnie (my son -- who is on staff at a church in Lake Charles, LA and also has a ministry, Truth and Illusion) kept in constant touch with her by cell. Her cell was running out of power and her charger was in checked luggage. She met a lady in one of the concourse stores who was trying to find some lotion for the rash on her baby's bottom. The store had none, so Renee told her she had some that she would trade her for two diapers. Answer to prayer! Problem solved, at least temporarily.

The airline (NWA) announced that a flight would be leaving for Montgomery at 9:40 Saturday morning, and they might be able to get some passengers on by standby...no guarantee. If they could not get them on that flight, they would be able to get them on a 7 PM flight. Regardless, they had to get out of the terminal by 10:30 PM on Friday night. The airline offered coupons for discount rates on a few motels and told the passengers they could get on the motel shuttles and try to find rooms. They would not pay for the room nor make any calls on behalf of the passengers. All rental car companies had shut down. No shuttle would allow Renee to get on because she did not have a baby carrier. She didn't bring one because I have one that we could use when she arrived.

At 10:15, Renee was walking the concourse weeping when she was approached by a Christian man and three other travelers. The man was a member of Frazer Memorial Methodist Church in Montgomery, AL. He was a stranded passenger, also. He told Renee that he and the other three people would take care of her and Brooklyn. My self-sufficient daughter-in-saw (by her own admission!) had to swallow her pride and accept the offer for help. She told me that all through this ordeal she was asking God to show her what He was trying to each her.

The four of them hired a cab and found a room at the Marriot. Renee was able to find some food at the motel that the baby cold eat, but no milk.

Well, we soon got word that the two flights sheduled for Saturday had been cancelled. Renee is in a panic again because she has a Pampered Chef Bridal Shower scheduled for Saturday night at 6:30 in a city that is two hours south of Montgomery (she sells Pampered Chef to help supplement their family income). Most of the things she needs for the event were in her luggage. This only adds to her distress. The airline would not pull the passengers' luggage. They told Renee she could come back on Saturday morning and claim it. Further panic!!

Gee, this is getting long...bear with me!

At 10:30 on Friday night, my wife and I, along with my brother-in-law left Montgomery driving to Memphis. What a night! Snow...the roads were iced over in north Mississippi. We drove for hours at 40 MPH. We finally arrived at the Marriot at 6:30 on Saturday morning. By 7 AM, we were back on the road. We stopped at the airport to get Renee's luggage. The baggage claims people told her they would pull her luggage but it would take about 20 mins...then 30 more mins...then another hour...then they told her they would not pull it. They would send it to her on Sunday if any flights were running. So, we left the airport and started back to Montgomery. I might add here that I parked in a lane outside the baggage pick-up area and waited for my d-i-l to get her luggage. No other car was in sight at that time of the morning. I had my truck lid opened so the security guard would know that I was waiting on luggage to be brought out. After about 15 minutes, still no other cars in sight, the security guard told me to leave. I explained that I had been driving all night and was there to pick up luggage from a cancelled flight. Nothing doing but I leave. So, I had to drive around the terminal until my d-i-l could find out something about her luggage. Yes, I could have parked in one of three parking lots, but I was stubborn enough that I refused to do that!! lol

We stopped and ate breakfast at a Waffle House near the airport and then hit the icy road. We arrived back home at 3 PM on Saturday.

The remainder of Saturday night, early Sunday morning, and for a while after church on Sunday afternoon, we got the run-around on the luggage. After umpteen phone calls to people who were absolutely no help, the luggage was finally located in the Montgomery airport.

BTW, my d-i-l was able to do the Pampered Chef party and all went well there.

As I look back on this situation, I make the following observations:

1) It is no wonder the airline industry is hurting. How can you treat passengers the way Renee was treated and expect to attract business?

2) God's people (you folks and the four stangers in the airport who helped Renee) still have a heart for ministry, even to people they don't even know.

3) God has a way of bringing peace during the time of chaos. He never makes a mistake.

From the bottom of my heart, I thank you for your generous offers of help! REJOICE!

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I am sorry, but I have to sit here and weep, because there have been many times I have been caught in situations where I have to realize God's more than adequate provision for my needs that come by people that God sends to minister/help.

11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am glad to hear everything turned out alright for you, brother.

12. D28guy

D28guy New Member

((((Praise the Lord!!!))))

So glad to hear how things worked out.

God bless,

Mike

13. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here!

Just saw this thread today but wouldn't have been much help living in Ohio. So glad to hear that every need was taken care of. :godisgood:

14. I Am Blessed 24

PTL! God is good all the time...all the time God is good!

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    PTL!:thumbs: :godisgood:

16. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Agreed! Me too!

So thankful! God is ever faithful!
    Glad each person is safe and that all turned out well! God continue to bless!:godisgood: :wavey:

17. Brother Randall

Brother Randall New Member

Praise God! Glad to read how God provided! :godisgood: