1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Emergent Church - Post Modern Church

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by g220, Aug 16, 2004.

1. g220

g220 New Member

I have been doing some reading regarding these two "movements" and am, how should I say... a bit disturbed at what I am finding. At this point I will attribute my disturbance to ignorance. Therefore I am interested in learning more. If anyone can share facts and information regarding both/either the postmodern church and/or the emergent church please do so. If there have been previous threads about this topic please just point me in that direction.

Thanks,
    ...Jeff

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I started a thread a while back in teh baptist only section, but no one was much interested in talking about it, or at least didn't know much about it. I have read some into it and studied it a bit. It is disconcerting. It is an attempt to return to the medieval experiential worship, with candles and incense, and all that kind of stuff. One guy trucked in a bunch of sand into his auditorium to create a desert. It is, to a large degree, wierd stuff. Interesting to study though.

3. g220

g220 New Member

That is pretty much what i am finding. There is an interesting approach of "deconstruction" which seems to be basically asking why do church as it is being done by the IC (institutional church) and rethinking how to do church. It was this "DO"ing church that doesn't sit quite right with me. Also, there seems to be a certain sense of arrogance about tossing out all that is IC. It was suggested that I read Brian McLaren. The only book of his at the library was "Adventures in Missing the Point - How the Culture-Controlled Church Neutered the Gospel". It's a very quick read essentially because it is very superficial. He and Tony Compolo cover 18 distinct subjects in 259 pages &lt;zoom, zoom, zoom&gt;.

Again, if anybody has some relevant information I would really like to be more educated about this movement.

Thanks Pastor Larry!

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

My experience has been mostly reading a few books and talking to a few people. I am not deeply engrossed in it. I would like to know more, but I have better stuff to study. I read Morph by Martoia and The Unstoppable Force for McManus. I listen to Mark Driscoll at Mars Hill in Seattle quite a bit. I actually usually enjoy listening to him.

I had the book that was written by five people (though I can't remember all of them). I think McLaren edited it but I am not sure. I never got around to reading it and the due date came and went so I took it back.

There is a website called www.allelon.org that is largely devoted to the emergent church idea. I have browsed it a bit. You have to register but it is free. You might check it out.

5. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Thanks Pastor Larry,
    Very interesting. We need to become informed about this movement. Even in tnhe sticks, I'm running into adherents almost daily.

6. g220

g220 New Member

7. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

You need to read Dan Kimball's The Emerging Church & Len Sweet's The Church in the Emerging Culture. Mortia's book is decent and McLaren is a student of the movement.