1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Emerging Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by DCNY, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m not well read on the subject. Just a few books here and there.

An online review I read about MacArthur’s book mentioned it fleshed out the reason for his enmity with McLauren and Warren.
    My past church had influential and discontented MacArthur groopies that caused the pastor to loose much hair and sleep.
    Curiosity prompted me to purchase the book.

PreachinJesus eloquently said what I have been feeling for a long time (see post #4).

I liked your Wikipedia contribution: “An openness to consider a plurality of interpretations as well as the impact of the reader's cultural context on the act of interpretation in contrast to the primacy of the author's intent and cultural context.”

Although the most succinct post was Guitarpreacher.
    Certainly the Emerging Church movement is a response to postmodern thought.
    Failure to respond to the way the world perceives truth puts the church in a poor position to reach those most in need.

Rob

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

This is the primary heresy in all the movement. This statement denies absolute reality, absolute truth, and absolute morality.
    2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

Paul addressed the Jews not by means of a subculture like postmodernism, but by the law or in other words their understanding of God. The Jews assumed they were justified by being a child of Abraham a Jew. And they thought that being a Jew who obeys the law they were justified. This has nothing to do with a subcultural mind set. What it does have to do with is a false perception of God.

Paul addressed the Greeks because of their intellectualism. They were always seeking for more information and never willing to come to any conclusions. This intellectualism was and is a moral code and standard because it is believed it is only right to be open to ever new and ever changing information. This is not an address of a subculture.

What we have in the EC is an attempt to mix the greeks intellectualism with Christianity. And the above statement from the wiki article states this very clearly.

Mans perception of "truth" is is based on thoughts and ideas that exclude God. Intellectualism does nothing nor can it do anything to bring anyone closer to God. 1 Corinthians Chapter 1 makes this clear. Man cannot convince or coherce anyone to believe. Jesus said that when He was lifted up He would draw all men. So all people everywhere already have a drawing form God once He is presented. Then comes the work of the Holy Ghost. He is the only one that can reach into mans heart. The work and the credit for salvation belongs to God and God alone. Man cannot save anyone. And the gospel must be presented as it is written in scripture and as God intended it to be presented. We forget that the author of scripture is God. And the one who confirms its truth is the Holy Ghost.

The above definition sees scripture as being authored by man. This is a grave error and has lead to the heresy. God is the author and God alone. And to set aside His intent as anything other than primary is heresy. We may wear different clothes, listen to different music, or speak different languages but we are all people who are brought to an understanding of God the exact same way. Through the preaching of the gospel. People do not listen to you better because you are like them cultually or subculturally. People will listen to anyone they believe has their best interest at heart regardless of lifestyle or country of origin. The gospel and the Holy Ghost through the preaching that God ordained is what reaches hearts.