1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Emerging Confusion

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Sep 2, 2009.

1. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

"worship" is glorifying God.

What glorifies Him more than exhorting His Word and the People listening to His Word?

Of course, this presumes that the preaching is exhorting the Word -- and not just yanking a few passages out of context in order to give a speech.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Revmitchell, you're missing the point. I agree 100% that preaching should be a general staple of worship. All I'm saying is that there are exceptions, such as a Good Friday prayer service.

3. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

Not really -- how do you have a Good Friday service without some reference to what happened on Good Friday, and how that event affects us today?

We just left a church that is being poorly led. This year they instituted a "Tenebrae" service. I was outraged -- the whole point is this somber, silent service which we leave in silence, pretending to be grieving over Jesus' death.

What? Sorry -- we know He's alive! On every day! Including Good Friday!

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Because you have a false definition of worship. Worship is not a momentary event, as Christians it is to be a lifestyle. Do you want to worship God, glorify him. That is to be done lead by the Spirit and guided by the Word of God. No experience has any meaning if it fails to line up with scripture. I know some do not like to have God in the box of scripture but that is of His own making not ours.

Do you want to worship God....feed the homeless, give a single mother some relief, visit the nursing home, give a thirsty man some water and do it in the name of Christ. Worship isn't about sitting in a pew it is about living a life that glorifies God.

Having said that the purpose of the service on Sunday determines the activities that go on. What was the practice of the 1st century church? The service fails to be lead by the word if the word of God is not taught.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Worship

"Selfless acts done for the purpose of glorifying God."

Heb 12:28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with Reverence and godly fear:

Here we see that worship must be :

1. Acceptable to God
    2. Done with reverence and godly fear (which is redundant)
    3. Done by the grace of God.

The word serve in this verse is the Greek word "Latreuo" which is a form of the word worship. In the NT this word is used as "serve"16 times, "worship" 3, " do the worship " 1, and "worshiper" 1.

Another form of the word "worship is the Greek word "Therapeuo". This is most often seen as the word "heal" and is used in reference to the healing of others. In the NT it is seen in every case of Jesus' healings. Interestingly enough it is the where we get our word therapy from.

"Proskeneuo" is another Greek form of the word worship. It is always used in the context of simply paying homage. This is seen clearly in 1 Cor 14:25.

"Sebazomai" is used only once in Romans 1:25 and is used int he sense of honoring religiously.

"Sebomai" is used in the sense of reverence and can be seen in Acts 16:14. We see this same word used in the sense of vain worship of God (Matt 15:9) Not all worship even directed at God is acceptable worship or correct.

Any act done in correct doctrine, (spirit and truth John 4:24) and for the Glory of God (reverence John 12:28)

The teaching of the word of God was included in the worship of those in Acts 2:42-47. There can be found no where in scripture a division between the preaching of the word and "worship".

#25 Revmitchell, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2009
  6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that "preaching" is not necessarily a mandate in every worship service for a worship to be considered a worship service.

Like I said, preaching should be a general staple of a worship service. All I'm saying is that there are exceptions.

7. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So, the fellowship around a table(s) of food can rightly be considered worship? Great! I mean we speak to each other of the mighty things God had done and we glorify him for the food given! So, I'll make sure I imform my other church members of that aspect of worship service. By the way Exhorting the word is an interesting phrase
    to make an appeal or stirring argument for the scriptures. As opposed to taking scripture out of context. Hmmmm. In the first instance use of scripture is not required. In the second instance scripture is a must. How would you know? You could only judge if its taken "out of context" if 1) its used in a way totally unrealated to the passage and I see this a lot even on this site. and 2) if it disagrees with you're personal exegesis of that passage. I'm just thinking about these things. However, I take that preaching is as you say exhorting the scriptures as for granted rather than not.

8. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

I can honestly say I have no idea what your point is.

:confused: