1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Emmanuel College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My youngest brother, who is still in high school, has set his sites on attending Emmanuel College next year. His goal is to be a youth pastor. That goal sort of surprised me because this kid is weird. Anyway does anyone here know anything about this school? I know it is accredited by SACS and that it is a very old school. I know it is Pentecostal/Charismatic, as is my youngest brother and my step-mother, so he "might" fit in. Beyond that I know nothing about the school. Anyone? Anything? Good? Bad? Horrible?

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know about the school, but got some warmup exercise for you to break you in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjujnAs-6tM

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==There is a part of me that thinks that is funny but I know it is really sad. There is a great book out on this subject called "Counterfeit Revival" by Hanegraaff. Another book that is suppose to be good, I have not read it yet, is "Charismatic Chaos" by John MacArthur. My brother is already mixed up in this. His mother, my step-mother, reads alot of Benny Hinn's stuff and they attend a charismatic/pentecostal church.

Does Emmanuel teach the kind of thing seen on that video?

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would hope not, but would think that it might lead to these kinds of things.

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Yeah, that is sort of what I am afraid of.

6. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

i'm watching that video, and i'm really at a loss as to what to even say about it...other than: :BangHead:
    I guess i shouldn't be surprised to see Kenneth Copeland involved in such a mockery of Christianity.

7. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Pentacostal v. Charismatic v. Word of Faith

Emmanuel is more old line traditional Pentacostal Holiness but they do share many things in common with the Charismatics and Word of Faith movements. I doubt you will find them at this extreme although some individuals may be involved in the extremes. One thing is that you can never tell what you will find on the fringes. They are not discerning in their associations because of their emphasis upon experiental Christianity and they focus on following the Holy Spirit's leading of individuals without close attention to Biblical doctrine. They're afraid to discount anything that could possibly be the Holy Spirit.

The traditional Pentacostals have their roots in the early 1900's whereas both the Charismatics and Word of Faith are pretty much post-WWII. However, they do share many common beliefs specifically regarding the Holy Spirit. Doctrinally, the Pentacostal Holiness Church of Franklin Springs, GA (i.e. Emmanuel), not the United Pentacostal Church (UPC) and other splinter Jesus Only Pentacostal (i.e. Oneness) groups, are fundamental except for their views of the Holy Spirit regarding baptism of the Spirit, sanctification, gifts of the Spirit, etc. The Word of Faith folks (i.e. Hagan, Copeland, & co.) teach many other heretical and false doctrines. Benny Hinn and Paul Crouch seem to agree with these false Word of Faith doctrines. They're simply heretics and we should not be afraid of calling them such. (Read Hank Hanegraaff's Christianity in Crisis.)

However, the whole business is a mishmash of blended views and associations that defy classification and grouping. It's hard to say what you will encounter anywhere and you have to pretty much confine your analysis to individuals and limited situations. Who knows what you'll find?

#7 paidagogos, Nov 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2006