1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Emotions in Worship

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by LarryN, Jul 6, 2005.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think there is anything wrong with applauding the performance of someone who God has given the spiritual gift of being able to sing, even in the church. This is the same thing as applauding at a Gaither concert. I look at it more as applauding the message of the song along with the encouragement of the singer/musician to "keep it up".

2. OCC

OCC Guest

I don't think there is anything wrong with applauding the performance of someone who God has given the spiritual gift of being able to sing, even in the church. This is the same thing as applauding at a Gaither concert. I look at it more as applauding the message of the song along with the encouragement of the singer/musician to "keep it up". </font>[/QUOTE]Right on webdog...absolutely right.

Nothing wrong with emotions at all. What I hate is when people are 'told' to stand up. What if I don't want to stand up. Isn't that manipulating?

3. Philip Walls

Philip Walls New Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with applauding the performance of someone who God has given the spiritual gift of being able to sing, even in the church. This is the same thing as applauding at a Gaither concert. I look at it more as applauding the message of the song along with the encouragement of the singer/musician to "keep it up". </font>[/QUOTE]But isn't that the point? I go to Church to worship God. I do not go to listen to a concert put on by an individual (which I still hold to be edification). I have seen too many singers getting praise at the end of the service for their performance and beaming in the attention instead of praising God and deferring the attention to their gift he Gave them. It ends up being to much about the individual.

I have no problem with the piano/organ and the congregation lifting up songs of praise. In my mind, that is a group coming together and singing to Him. No edification involved.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

4. OCC

OCC Guest

But you do go to hear someone sing as well. That is part of worshipping God. Singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to one another. Shocking as this may sound but we don't go to church just to worship God and ignore all those around us. We go to encourage and build up the body. Otherwise, we can just stay home.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Building one and another up has nothing to do with entertainment. We are not in competition with Hollywood. To clap and applaud is to give praise to the performer and not to God. We are there to give worship and adoration to God, and to learn from His Word. The fellowship of the early believers was always centered around the Word of God, not music.

God demands our praise and worship. He condemns the worship and praise of others which is idolatry.

Revelation 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
    DHK

6. OCC

OCC Guest

"To clap and applaud is to give praise to the performer and not to God."

That is YOUR opinion...and you are entitled to it.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are way off base. Who are you to say that applauding is to praise and worship the performer? What is the difference in worshipping God at a CCM concert and worshipping God in a church building? Our lives are to be lived in worhsip to God, which would make anyone a hypocrite who appauds at a concert, and feels it is a sin to do so at church. It is not idolatry to lift up our fellow brother, and the message coming from them using their gifts.

8. OCC

OCC Guest

I'll repeat this again since you 'missed' it.

"Singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to one another. Shocking as this may sound but we don't go to church just to worship God and ignore all those around us. We go to encourage and build up the body. Otherwise, we can just stay home."

I did not say anything about entertaining. I do not appreciate you implying that I did. Being a moderator does not give you the right to imply that someone said something that they did not.

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

King James, I did not see DHK quote you or even reference you in his post. Seems you are getting defensive about him offering his opinion/belief on the topic.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

[/qb][/QUOTE]
    I have no problem with the piano/organ and the congregation lifting up songs of praise. In my mind, that is a group coming together and singing to Him. No edification involved.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. [/QB][/QUOTE]

See, you have no problem with a piano/organ. Just add a guitar, bass, drums and you're all set :D

If you don't mind a piano, you obviously ENJOY the sound of it. Better get rid of it, could "alter" the course of worship. :rolleyes:

11. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

USN - I'm not offended. ;)

Tater - I disagree with you on the statement that music is not inspired the way scripture is - unless you are talking - 100% reading directly from the word without any sermon attached.

12. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

"I go to Church to worship God."

Worship means (per the dictionary) love and devotion.

Who is to say what is the right or wrong way for a person to express their personal love and devotion?

Many demoninations that use more ritual say that Baptists are not reverent enough in our methods of worship.

Personally, while I love learning from my Pastor - and I love studying God's word at my church - I do NOT think of the "sermon" portion of the service as "worshipful" because that part is not about me expressing my love to God, that part is about me studying God's word.

The portions where I pray, where I sing, where I read the word - those are worship experiences to me.

13. OCC

OCC Guest

I am not an idiot. He was responding to what I said. Seems he got a bit defensive about what I said. Question...is this not a message board where people share their opinions? If he said something directly referencing what I said w/o "quoting" me...is it such a crime for me to respond? I thought this was a message board...

14. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

How do you folks feel about the loudly proclaimed "Amens!" that are sometimes heard in churches?

15. OCC

OCC Guest

How do you feel about fingernails scratching a chalkboard? [​IMG]

16. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I am not an idiot. He was responding to what I said. Seems he got a bit defensive about what I said. Question...is this not a message board where people share their opinions? If he said something directly referencing what I said w/o "quoting" me...is it such a crime for me to respond? I thought this was a message board... </font>[/QUOTE]Whatever floats your boat :rolleyes:

17. OCC

OCC Guest

I am not an idiot. He was responding to what I said. Seems he got a bit defensive about what I said. Question...is this not a message board where people share their opinions? If he said something directly referencing what I said w/o "quoting" me...is it such a crime for me to respond? I thought this was a message board... </font>[/QUOTE]Whatever floats your boat :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]whatever... [​IMG]

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Question:
    What ought to be the primary purpose in the so-called worship-service?
    I believe the name "worship-service" is a misnomer for most Baptist church services, unless your service is like some pentecostal services that I have heard of.

When the the three thousand in Acts 2 got saved what was the first thing mentioned that they did?
    "They continued in the apostles doctrine..."
    Foundational to our services is doctrine, that is the preaching of the Word of God. All else is secondary. The service does not center around worship, per se, but around the preaching of the Word of God, which is instruction. That may include rebuke, edification, instruction, or other forms of education. But it is not primarily worship.
    There is some worship in church in the hymns and in prayer. But that is secondary to the preaching of the Word.

Where was worship done in the Old Testament? Worship in the Old Testament was in the Temple. All sacrifices were brought to the Temple. Sins were atoned for there on the Day of Atonement. Worship centered around the Temple which symbolized the presence of God.

Where is the Temple of the New Testament?
    It is not the church. It is the body.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost.
    True worship, the most important worship, is when the believer gets alone with God in prayer, and travails with God in prayer, and spends time alone with God in His Word and in prayer. That is worship.

Mark 1:35 And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.

Even Jesus spent time alone in prayer.

Church is the proper place for instruction.
    Worship ought to be done in a private place alone with God.
    DHK

19. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

TexaSky, I mean that the Word of God is inspired, God-breathed, holy, etc. When I write music, of course, I am inspired to do so and I believe that inspiration comes from God. But my music is not inspired like God's Word is inspired.

20. OCC

OCC Guest

DHK, yes the primary purpose of church is to be grounded in doctrine. But we are also to sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs and to use whatever gifts we've been given to edify the body. That is the fact and I'm not going to apologize for believing it and I'm not even arguing with you really. I agree with what you said but you are missing the point of worship being a necessary part of church also.