1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Employer requirements

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How much authority should an employer have over their employees

For example:

Should Pepsi cola be allowed to prohibit employees from drinking a Coca-cola while on the job/in unifiorm
    How about at any time - esp when not at work and/or w/o being identified as a Pepsi empolyee

Should a Ford Dealership be allowed to require employees to only drive Fords To work?
    Should a Ford Dealership be allowed to have a distant parking area for employees who do not
    drive a Ford
    Should a Ford Dealership prohibit employees from not owning a Ford

Should a DJ be prohibited from listening a competing radio station while other would be aware?

Should a cashier of Burger King, be allowed to bring in a McDonalds bag of food to his BK store for his lunch hour?

Should a city employer be required to live within the city limits.

Should a government worker be required to live within a certain radius of his work place.

Any other restrictions that an employer should be allowed to have?

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should a person quit rather than accept odious working conditions mandated by their employer? How about a draftee ordered to engage in hazardous military activity. When does the alternative (quitting or court martial) constitute extortion?

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    at the moment - that is a moot point as there is no draft

• Like Like x 1
  4. Centrist

Centrist Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How much are you willing to let them have?

They can.

Then it’s handsoff.

“Should be” versus....?

They can.

Good question.

Should be? No. Do they, yes. And sometimes it really sucks when they do an on-person advertisement and accidentally have the other station playing loud enough your target audience hears it.

BTDT. Generally management doesn’t care, so long as you aren’t advertising BK.

Many places do already. I’m fine with the concept.

Yes.

Lemme think about this for a bit.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When does the alternative (quitting or court martial) constitute extortion?
    The question is not moot but goes to this thread's issue.

The godless left has taken over many corporate enterprises. They then insist their employees agree with "corporate" policy such as evaluating and promoting employees without regard to race or gender or orientation. Thus some of the employees are required to ignore their biblical principles, sidestepping the constitution's protect from government not hindering the free practice of religion.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

For example (?) A male supervisor does not believe that a mother should not be working outside the home -

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Salty, the male supervisor should not impose his unbiblical views toward females, so females should not have to abandon their practice of religion (no difference in Christ male or female).

But your question does highlight another facet of the issue, the use of compulsion to force others to accept your views (either leftist atheism or religious bigotry.)

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    un-
    1) who says that is biblical - If that individual believe it - that his standard.

2) who says that he is forcing his belief on others - No one is forcing her to work there.
    if she does not like it - go someplace else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said it was biblical.
    Even in the workplace, workers have rights.

10. Will7

Will7 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the employer can make whatever rules or demands they want to make on their employees. All of the jobs that I have been a part of have had written contracts. I worked at a medical factory and one of the biggest things was not talking about the products, the processes or anything else outside of work. But they made these things very clear in the contract that I had signed when I was hired by them.

If a company decides to have a horrible code of ethics or the contract is something you do not want to be a part of.... then don't sign it. It's best to find employment elsewhere. Some of the examples that you used may sound trivial but for them... it means a lot to those companies. What people see and perceive matters a ton to them.

"If a Ford employee is driving a Chevy....does that make Chevy better?"

So, to me, I think a company and have whatever rules they want but I also think it needs to be lined out in the contract that the employee signs at the beginning. If anything changes, the employee needs to be made aware of said fact.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was a Ford salesman for a year. One of the Salesman mention once that a customer asked him if he drove a Ford. He answered to the customer that he did drive a Ford. Well, I knew he had a Chevy - and he told me that he often Test drove Fords with customers. So from his point of view - he did drive a Ford.

12. Will7

Will7 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a really interesting way to see things. It makes sense though.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would still call it a lie - as his purpose was to deceive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Will7

Will7 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I would agree with you. I just understand it

15. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The funny part is that I have a friend named Tyrone that owns an Auto Dealership. His biggest issue is getting employees that will show up for work every day and not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

“Show up for work” and “don’t be wasted on the job” didn’t seem like that unreasonable an employer requirement to me … but too many workers apparently disagreed.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and now in NY, as in a few other states - Weed will be legal.......

• Like Like x 1
  17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I worked at a place where security was important. I had to pass through metal and explosive detectors, and was subject to random testing for drug or alcohol usage. I thought the requirements were burdensome, but I did not worry about a disgruntled employee causing workplace violence. Especially those I had to fire for being unreliable.

And we had a few cases where a supervisor treated a member of his staff inappropriately. A simple question I considered was would this supervisor want to be treated as he treated others?

18. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Always a sign of a bad manager. That employee WILL retaliate. Even if they are not planning on doing anything overt, morale will be crushed (and not just for that one employee) which will bring general productivity down. More than likely, they will retaliate in some passive-aggressive manner like slowing down at work or stoping assembly lines or obeying the letter of the rules knowing that it will cause a paperwork problem down the chain.

(We have had people insist that the plans be submitted for government review “immediately” when the plans were not finished because of last minute changes. So we turn them in and act surprised when 30 days go by and we get 15 pages of comments from the reviewers rather than two pages. Then we finish the plans like we wanted in the first place, but their rude “hurry” cost them a 6 week delay instead of a 1 week delay. - 4 week review + 1 week finish plans + 1 week to respond in writing to 15 pages of comments.)

19. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was a UNION worker my whole adult working life. My employer was not allowed to tell me how to wear my hair, get tats or not, what to have for lunch, what to say or not say, etc. nor try to use subtle means of retaliation against those they didn't like. All I had to do was show up for work on time, sober, & do my work in an acceptable manner.I believe many more workers should unionize & stick together when they do so.