1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Encourgaing Message in Light of 2020

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Reformed, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This past Lord's day the preacher cited this passage from 1 Peter:

1 Peter 1:13 Therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. (NASB)

Other versions translate the passage this way:

Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; (KJV)

Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. (ESV)

Therefore, get your minds ready for action by being fully sober, and set your hope completely on the grace that will be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed. (NET)

Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. (NIV)

The context of the 1 Peter 1 is about the living hope that is ours in Jesus Christ (v. 3). This hope is ours, "even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials" (v. 6).

There is no doubt that 2020 has been full of "various trials". Some of these trials we all share. Some trials are more personal. We also have anxieties and fears. I read more threads than I participate in these days. That is on purpose. I listen to many of my Christian friends lamenting what will happen if their candidate does not win this November. Some are worried because they have lost or may lose their job because of the ripples of COVID-19. With all this uncertainty swarming around us, is it not right that we should be remained to fix our hope completely on Jesus Christ? Since we have a living hope and our eternal destination is secure, should we have a spirit of fear or a spirit of power (2 Timothy 1:7)? Indeed, can we echo the words of the Apostle Paul who wrote, "For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."?

Isaiah 41:10 ‘Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’​

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This past Sunday I taught on 1 Peter 1:1-12 and it was very fitting for the trials of this world. We have a living hope.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great Passage!

• Like Like x 1
  4. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Reformed, Peter's letters are filled with the reminder that God's ordained trials are for our good. I look at my brother's and sister's around the world and I realize that we who live in the USA have yet to face deep trials as a nation. 2020 is but a warning shot by our King. Darkness is about to fall on this land and God will make us a light on a hill. Gird up your loins and ready yourself for the defense of the gospel.
    Pray for the peace of the city.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    One gentleman stated that trials and suffering are the devil working against us. We spent some time on 1 Peter 1:6-7

In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

It is not in the easy times but in the hard times, the persecutions and suffering, that our faith is evident because it is in those times that our faith is refined and proven.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This past Sunday I preached an exposition of Hosea 2 - God turns the Valley of Achor (trouble) into the Valley of Hope. Now THAT is good news!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the Dems fully take over as now being projected, we will indeed being into the battle between Kingdoms of Christ and Satan now!

8. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    We always have been in a battle. However, the church may need to go underground sooner than later.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or else stand up firmly and be active opposing those seeking to have evil established!

10. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Certainly we can take our stand. Be ready to be martyred.
    The church will go underground as it has done throughout the world.
    Interestingly, the underground church in China and Iran is growing exponentially, so don't view it as a bad thing.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    well, the blood of the Martyrs are the seed of the church!

12. HatedByAll

HatedByAll Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fight in the United States has clearly started. The two battle fronts are abortion and freedom of speech for Christians concerning the subject of homosexuality.

For those willing to open their eyes, the persecution of Christians for believing in the sanctity of life is evident right now with the hatred toward the Christian who is being confirmed for Supreme Court Justice right now.

For those of you who have no reason to have an interest in ministering to people with same sex attractions or those who are active in the gay lifestyle, you may not know how dangerous "anti-conversion" laws are. In the countries, states, provinces, and cities where these laws have been passed, the laws go way past what they claim to do. In most of these areas it is against the law for a minister to tell homosexual congregants what is clearly stated in the Bible in 1 Corinthians 6: 9-11.

Liberals hate the truth of the Bible that homosexuals must stop believing that they have to trust in homosexuality to have a full life. In England they have already made it so an ex-gay ministry can not conduct business at a bank. And in Canada preachers have been threatened with arrest if they simply tell their members what the Bible has to say on the subject.

I am ready, willing, and able to share the simple truth that those of us who have struggled with same sex attractions can have freedom through making Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. It is simply a choice of who will you believe. Jesus who promises a fulfilled eternal life and who delivers to those who truly believe. Or do you trust the minions of Satan. The ones who say you were born this way you have to accept that you are gay.

Jesus delivers eternal life and a life worth living. Satan my offer a fun life for a season but the cost of that fun is eternal death with weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

13. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have enjoyed listening to Rosaria Butterfield, Christopher Yuan and Sam Allberry.
    Singleness, Same-Sex Attraction, and the Church: A Conversation with Sam Allberry, Rosaria Butterfield, and Christopher Yuan

• Like Like x 1