1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Endowment funds

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by El_Guero, Dec 24, 2006.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Cooking our endowment books . . . should we?

Harvard has released that they are paying their endowment fund managers very large commissions for a 17% return on their investment!

However, while they claimed to have earned the endowment fund almost 5 billion dollars . . .

Only about a billion dollars was given to the university . . .

They could have grown the university's student population more than 50% and let everyone go to school for free . . . but, one would like to know what they did with the profit instead.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/12/20/harvard.endowment.ap/index.html

#1 El_Guero, Dec 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2006
  2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would think that they are reinvesting the profit.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I reckon that the original donors considered 'planned giving' was supposed to provide 'financial advisors' with windfall profits, and that is why they have given so much money to schools.

:saint:

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If these fund managers are causing marked increases, then they should be compensated.

I don't see a problem with it.

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I see a problem when compensation has become filthy lucre.

Our schools in America can (for most of them) afford an almost free education for most students. This is what I, and I dare say most donors, think of when they are asked to give money to build up the trust funds. I personally think that our higher education system deceives in a manner that is close to fraud (IMHO). It is not (IMHO) right for trust funds to become self perpetuating investment funds for investment managers to make big commissions off of. The purpose of granting tax-exempt status to these schools (IMHO) is for them to provide reasonably priced educations to students.

Just another cog in the wheel as the devil prepares the way for his anti-Christ.

And to those fund managers that participate in the large scale profiting because of the system, I do not think that there is adequate compensation for selling one's integrity - even if it is for a 'good cause.'