1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

English and Prayer

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When I went to Lee College to discover what it was that Pentecostals taught something irritated me every chapel. Also when I went to the larger Pentecostal churches this same behavior occured which irritated me as well. Then I noticed it at my baptist church that I currently attend. its this:

At Lee when the "Holy Ghost" (in Pentecostal churches Ghost is the more appropiate term) filled someone enought to "speak in tongues" (which I still consider babeling) they would just spout off. Then as must be in these churches when the babeling stopped their was an "interpretation" (which always was something very generally taken out of scripture. I really put it on par with fortune tellers that read people rather than have a special sence) but the Preamble was always "Thus sayeth the Lord!" Now I understand the AV 1611 see no conflict here but I'm not addressing them. I also currently while being led in prayer who ever is leading in prayer always speaks in the King James English. Does God speak King James english? Is that the heavenly tongue? I thank the Lord that the King James bible was written after Chaucer! Can you imagine John 3:16 in that english? It irritates me because it always seems disingenuous. Doesn't God speak to us in our language. Does he not understand modern english? Its like the Catholics 50 + years ago only using latin. Do people feel somehow holier speaking in the Kings English rather than their native tongue? Why don't people pray in Tyndale's english?

2. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

God understands all languages but He prefers Elizabethan English. Surely you know that.

As for speaking in tongues, do you think a Chinese person speaking in tongues might come out with some English phrases?

3. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Exactly! :thumbs:

4. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: I know some older Baptist miisters who speak to you in modern
    English, but only prayer in the KJV English.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have caught myself in prayer (silent) saying Thee or Thy. I think it's just because I sometimes quote scripture in my prayers. It's not because I'm trying to speak old English. I don't know why I quote scripture to God though. He probably knows it already! Ya think? :laugh:

6. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Only if its 1611 vernacular :smilewinkgrin:

7. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Does God speak King James english

...not according to a French priest I know of...God speaks French:laugh:
    but of course God speaks Australian, ask anyone:laugh:

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I asked Pete that very question, but I guess he doesent understand Americian English:laugh:

9. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: I have never been personally involved in a tongues and interpretation message. As I understand it, the interpretation of a tongues message is not a translation of what God is intending, but an interpretation. Therefore, the interpreter's words are their expression of what they believe God is intending to have said.

So just like the old Baptist preachers who express their prayers in the KJV English, many interpreters (being very familiar with the KJV) expresses their interpretation in the KJV English.

Concerning starting with "Thus saith the Lord"; some start that way, but not all. I liken it to some non-pentecoatsl preachers starting their sermons with something like "God's message this morning is".

#9 drfuss, Jun 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2009