1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

English, Greek, and logos

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by ScottEmerson, Mar 3, 2004.

1. michelle

michelle New Member

Peace and love to you in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour!

Scott,

Do you really need to read this garbage in order to have faith in or better understanding of what God has really said? Do you really care what heretics think about the word Logos? That post did nothing for me as far as what I already knew by reading his word and knowing him. You knew these things before you found this out, I assume, so why do you care one iota what a heretic or unbeliever thought about it? This is what I don't understand. Is it that you are just curious?

love in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour,
    michelle

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Logos was also a philosophical idea during that time. John was bringing that together to point out that Jesus was the logos.

A.T. Robertson writes in Word pictures in the NT, "
    This term suits John's purpose better than sophia (wisdom) and is his answer to the Gnostics who either denied the actual humanity of Christ (Docetic Gnostics) or who separated the aeon Christ from the man Jesus (Cerinthian Gnostics). The pre-existent Logos "became flesh" (sarx egeneto, verse #14)

So there is much more behind it than just a simple answer. I think it is much more like what the preacher does in Eccl. 12.

Eccl. 12:9-11, "In addition to being a wise man, the Preacher also taught the people knowledge; and he pondered, searched out and arranged many proverbs. The Preacher sought to find delightful words and to write words of truth correctly. The words of wise men are like goads, and masters of these collections are like well-driven nails; they are given by one Shepherd."

3. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

I learned a lot from this. It does help me understand better what John meant when God inspired the words that we find in his gospel. I'm not sure who the heretics or unbelievers are in this instance, but there's nothing to run from, I don't think. I saw nothing offensive. I am curious - I want to know as much abou the Word of God as I possibly can.

4. michelle

michelle New Member

Peace and love to you in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour!

gb,

How come you didn't include the next verses, where it says:

Eccl.12:12-14

12 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
    13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
    14 For God shall bring every work into judgement, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Was Solomon known and revered for his human wisdom, or rather the wisdom of God, which is the Fear of God?

michelle

5. michelle

michelle New Member

Peace and love to you all in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour!

Scott,

All you have to do is ask him and fervently read his word of truth. You don't need anything else -only God can truly and truthfully reveal to you the deeper truths in his word. Only God can give you, what he intends you to have. Rely upon and trust only the Good Shepard, not faithless people.
    You don't need them. They can't give you what you need, only the Lord our God can.

michelle

6. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

For those who would like yet further elucidation of the Greek word Logos, may I suggest that you see the 67 page discussion of that word in Kittel’s Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, Vol. 4, pp. 69-136.

7. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

These statements are fictitious, malicious, libelous, pompous, ostentatious, arrogant, judgmental, disparaging, condemnatory, grossly ignorant, sinful, and entirely outside of the parameters of anything that can be called Christian. :( :( :( :( :( :(

Your “King James Bible” is nothing but a translation of Bible, and it is the work of men without whom you would have nothing but a book of blank pages. The translators of the KJV were not gods, they were fallible human beings that were used by God just like He has used thousands of other Bible scholars over the centuries and is using them today. [​IMG]

8. Anti-Alexandrian

Putting Philosophers and dictionaries over the Bible(KJB)will not solve your problem.

only Scripture will answer you question...

Revelation 19:13 should clear up John 1:1.

9. Anti-Alexandrian

How so?

Putting dictionaries,Philosophers,and the like over God's word isn't?!

What gives?!

10. ScottEmerson

Who here is putting that information above God's Word? Those things are tools that can be used alongside the Bible to help us understand it - but I don't think anyone here is putting dictionaries over the Bible.

11. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anti_Alexandrian:How so?

Putting dictionaries,Philosophers,and the like over God's word isn't?!

What gives?!

God had PEOPLE write His words for all mankind originally. These people were no more perfect than we are.The only thing we know of that He personally wrote on earth for us was the Ten Commandments on the stone tablets.

And when the KJVO advocates his/her myth, he/she's taking the word of man(Wilkinson & those who followed) over the words and actions of GOD.

12. Precepts

Precepts New Member

No we aren't! We are simply taking God at His Word to preserve His Word to all generations and not malign it with alterations to the context and meaning which all the mv's are guilty!
    Adhoc-a-hoc-a-hoc!

13. ScottEmerson

If the KJVO-myth is reality, then God's word was not perfectly preserved UNTIL 1611. We know this because the Latin Vulgate is very different from the KJV. We must conclude that preservation doesn't mean what the KJVO's say that they do. In fact, their ideas of preservation come from somewhere other than Scripture.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Logos is translated "the word", but it contextually means "the messase". It differs from the Greek word rhema, which is also translated "word", but referrs to "text".

John 1 wasn't referring to sctriptural text, he was referring to the message given to us via scriptural text.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How would have adding the next few verses have helped? Verses 12 through 14 are another passage in the MT. To answer question does not diminish scruipture. It is still scripture, inspired by God. Scripture is not dependent upon my response or my wisdom or lack of.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are doing nothing to preserve God's word. His word has already been preserved in the Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic texts. That does not include any English translation. All you read is a translation. How do know if it is an accurate translation? How will you know if the translator is correct or wrong? You are simply trusting a translator. I believe that most translators are honarable men but there have been plenty of times when they have been wrong.