1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

English History

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Walls, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Walls

Walls New Member

It is with great caution that I ask this question as the very nature of its content creates such a strife. LET ME SAY BEFORE HAND, THAT IS NOT MY INTENT! I am doing research on another subject, I do believe the answer to my question is relevant.

QUESTION At what point in english history did women begin to not wear something on their heads?

It is my opinion that it was in the early 1500's, but I have no proof.

I want to state that the purpose of this question is not debate the issue, but rather to seek facts.

2. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

You are asking about ladies of England not America is that right? If you are here is a good link:

http://www.fashion-era.com/hair_hats_187099.htm

That shows that ladies were still covering their heads in England in the lates 1800's.

Wise way to start this discussion.

Also shown here are real pictures of ladies in the 1800's in England. Most of the ladies shown had covered heads.

http://fashion-era.com/edwardian_photos.htm

Note the way the nurses have a veil on.

3. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

Christian ladies wore the headcovering in England for prayer and prophesying after the 1500's. Here is an article about Susanna Wesley and her portrait shows her with a veil on.

http://www.intouch.org/myintouch/mighty/portraits/susanna_wesley_213595.html

She died in 1742.

In a book called, "Let her be Veiled," written by Tom Shank he says:

"Wenger also points out that the American churches in the late 19th century replaced the veil of England and the Continent with ordinary headgear. "It was usual in American Christian churches for women to have their heads at least covered in worship until the latter years of the 19th century (testimony of Bishop S. F. Coffman, 1872-1954). That which altered the practice of many American Protestant groups was the introduction of huge hats in the 1890's (these hats were nicknamed 'Merry Widows')."

Above book can be read at:
    http://www.charityministries.org/textonly/book-veiled-text.cfm#Chapter%204

This English scholar taught headcoverings as late as 1885 for the purpose of prayer and prophesying:

"18. Thomas Charles Edwards (A Commentary on the First Epistle to the Corinthians was published in 1885)

a. Edwards was the Principal of the University College of Wales,
    Aberystwyth.

b. "It is not improbable that the custom censured by the Apostle was an
    attempt to symbolize by unveiling the face in public worship the spiritual
    equality of the woman."32

c. "The man shames his natural head by wearing a veil; that is, he shames
    himself by wearing a symbol of subjection to the woman, whereas Christ has given the man supremacy over the woman in Church order, and that supremacy is expressed by the symbol of an unveiled face."33

d. "He proves [in 1 Corinthians 11:6 GLP] that a woman that uncovers her
    head is one and the same with a woman whose head is shorn or shaven. The proof is that woman's long hair is intended by nature and understood by all nations to be a symbol of her subjection to the man. . . . This, the Apostle
    argues, shows the fitness of the veil to be a symbol of the same subjection
    in the Christian order. In the Church the veil is added to the symbol of
    long hair, because the subjection which nature has imposed upon the woman
    receives a special character when it enters into the Christian series of
    subordination's."

The above quote is from:
    http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/joeflorence/hc.htm

4. Walls

Walls New Member

Yes HCL I was asking about the women in England.

The reason why I asked is because, many debate the accuracy of the KJV (different forum, I know) but if you look at the passages in 1 Cor 11 in a KJV you really have to study it out. And I was wondering if there was a possibility that women had already began to uncover at time of the KJV.

(1Co 11:5) But every woman that prayeth or prophecieth bare headed, dishonoureth her head: for it is even one very thing, as though she were shaven. (Geneva)

(1Co 11:5) But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. (KJV)

(1Co 11:5) but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled dishonors her head--it is the same as if her head were shaven. (RSV)

Moderators; Sorry to bring it up on this forum, but was explaining the reason for the question!

5. Wiedertaufen

Wiedertaufen New Member

I often wonder why this head covering of all issues, brings forth so much strife.