1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

English Longbow

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by ~JM~, Feb 10, 2007.

1. ~JM~

~JM~ Member

Anyone else out there into shooting, making and hunting with traditional English Longbows?

What are you using now? Do you make your own equipment?

I have a 70# @ 27" ELB that I shaped and a friend of mine finished.

:thumbsup:

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

70#?

:thumbs:

3. ~JM~

~JM~ Member

El, are you an archer?

4. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

I love archery. I have a bow that was handmade out of Orange Osage. I could have said Bois de ark but I don't know how to spell it.......lol.

My problem is that I have severe back problems with the upper spine. I've had two surgeries and face more. I now have a compound bow, and have it cranked down a bit so that I can pull it back without hurting my back too bad. I can not shoot for an extended period of time however. I"ve thought about a cross bow.... but it seems I might as well use a gun.

5. ~JM~

~JM~ Member

Osage, nice but costly [up here in Canada].

Mine is made of red oak backed with hickory and cost me under $20 bucks to make. We also make our own arrows, etc.

The Longbowmen of old had messed up skeletal structure from all the years of pulling bows, remains have been found with twisted skeletons from the heavy pulling [between 90#-150#] bows.

As for the cross bow, I'm with ya.