1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

English teachers/ Missionaries

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by christianyouth, Oct 28, 2007.

1. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

I've heard that there is incredible opportunity for missions in many countries. A missionary explained how he had no knowledge of Chinese, but that the demand for English teachers in China was so high that the government flew him over, gave him a job, and a free apartment with full-paid utilities. Also, this man wasn't an English teacher, as we would consider one, but just a native English speaker. I think he had to take some courses, but from the way he spoke about it, they couldn't have been very extensive. I'm just thinking: This may be the opportunity to get into the Islamic countries! I know North Africa, Mauritania, any Islamic Republic make public witnessing illegal and will not allow Christian missionaries to come in.

Does anyone have any information on this? Opportunities for English teaching and long-term missions? I've searched on the web some, but can't seem to find any.

What about Baptist colleges? That could be a good place to contact? I know Marantha students, if I recall, where using their English degrees for missions.

NOTE : I know you guys know my maturity level. Please, don't think I'm gonna grab a 1 year certificate and go to some foreign country without the authority/approval of numerous godly men whom God has placed in my life and the local church, God's authoritative structure. I need to mature, and much more.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another option is (after getting your teaching degree) is to become a teacher in the Dept of Defense School system. The US govt will send you to a foreign county to teach the children of US military personel, in countries such as Germany, Japan and others. Of couse Uncle Sam will pay your way to these countries. As an added bonus there Baptist Churches(English speaking) in many of these countries.

Link to Dept of Defense schools : http://www.eu.dodea.edu/

Link to Baptist churches in Europe: http://www.ibc-churches.org/

As I use to say when I was overseas "Your missionary to Germany at goverment expense!"

#2 Salty, Oct 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007
  3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are some in Japan who use English teaching as a "tent-making" method so they can be missionaries. I believe this is useful because there are some who will take English who would never step into a church, and so you can get the Gospel to them that way. I've taught some English in the past as a ministry and my wife currently teaches English to some ladies.

There is one important drawback to this method, though. If you are a church planting missionary, or even if you just want to do evangelism, there is a danger if you are under the thumb of your boss here in Japan (or the government in China, etc.). While they may be happy to use you to further their aims, they have no sympathy at all with your desire to serve Christ. So there can be clashes in that area.

I even know one case in which problems came even though the Japanese boss (also the church landlord) was a Christian. The missionary was then opposed on some of his agenda. The missionary had to quit the field after only three years.

Another drawback is that working full time as an English teacher interferes with learning the language of the land, be it Chinese, Japanese, etc. For long term effectiveness the missionary must learn the language.

If you decide to go this route, opportunities are much greater if you actually go to college get qualified with an English major and then in TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language). Qualified teachers do much better than those who simply are hired because they are native speakers of English. Believe me--I've known a lot of English teachers in Japan, and they have articles all the time in the "Daily Yomiuri" English newspaper we get.

God bless!

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maranatha's missions department would be a good place to check. I don't know who the teacher is this year--"Bwana," as we called him, wanted to go back to Africa so he left there.

Maranatha is a wonderful college, and it is accredited, which would be an advantage if you are considering English teaching. I hope you are considering going there. My son got his B. A. there and we were delighted with everything about the place. So both my son and I went on to get our M. A. there, graduating together. (That was a trip!)

P. S. Check this out: www.tefl.com

#4 John of Japan, Oct 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007