1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

English

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Salamander, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Salamander,

Just blow off any of the personal stuff and let's continue with the debate. OK?

You and most of my Pastors are KJO. I know some version read differently and I use a KJ for confirmation on anything questionable. But can be said to show me that a KJ is more accuate than say NASB?

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Your professor was only right to the degree that English was in its very infantile stage, it would be better to say it was more Anglo-Saxon.

The fact remains that even the original tongues must be understood to know how to translate them and compile a version. Thus the English of Beowulf has its purpose to cause the mind to "dig into" its usages, the 1611 vernacular demands trhe same investigations.

What we have experienced in the modernizations of the English by its evolution is that meanings become obscure. I cannot even begin to think that the Lord would have us with a version that obscures the meaning!

Thank You for your post and i understand your concerns. My addage? Stick with the KJB and you won't go wrong.

3. Salamander

Salamander New Member

:laugh: fat chance!

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Kindly provide some examples of your findings. I would like to know exactly where "original meanings have been altered by modernizations of words."

#44 Mexdeaf, Feb 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
  5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Actually I think it adds to the fun, it certainly keeps the mold trimmed back!:laugh:

6. Salamander

Salamander New Member

So you mean that we who hold to the KJB are not part of your "true church"? :laugh:
    Yet we read the more ancients and KNOW what is said, that cannot be so easily deduced by the referencing that plethora of modern versions without consideration of every aspect of society's alterations.

I suppose some here will continue to bow to society.

7. Salamander

Salamander New Member

BTW, that's "Olde" English.

8. Salamander

Salamander New Member

:thumbs: I could NOT have said this any better myself, but I think I've said the exact same thiong in so many words!:wavey:

9. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Sal,

Don't worry I'll stick with my KJ, but as a matter of preference, not that it is the only correct version.

Agreed
    Not sure how modernized English obscures the language any more than 17th century English did. Can you provide me with an example?

I am not an expert in translations by any means, but I do not doubt that God blessed the translation of the KJ bible. I also do not doubt that he can bless one or more of the morern versions. I hate paraphrased versions. At least the ones I've read. But like I said, what makes the KJV more accurate than a NASB? Is it the sources, the way it was translated? What?

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Again, proof?? Without proof this is just another "I-pinion".

11. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Compare a young girl to a virgin, also compare a maiden to a virgin.

I do suppose in some areas of the US that most young girls are still virgins, but I've never seen anyone refer to a virgin as a maiden.:wavey:

12. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I appreciate your humble spirit. but I must ask- why not go back to the Greek and Hebrew?

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Just who is applying the modernizations (a more proper word might be 'contextualization') here? I think YOU are.

If you are referring to Isa 7:14 (you did not specify, so I'm guessing) then both the ESV and NIV use 'virgin'. No problem there.

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

It will be determined by the very thing that you do not "like", get a paraphrase of the KJB with the NASV and you'll begin to see many,many, alterations at first glance. Now I do know that one will have to do further study to validate the NASV, but why waste all that time? You will also begin to see just how accurate the KJB is when you take the lexicons into a FULL view in definition.

I have studied out nearly every "mistake" in the KJB to only find it a dishonest suggestion that there was ever a mistake. Why is it one makes the claim of a mistake? I find it to be due to the limited use of the definition of the words without full consideration of the context.

When one reads any version, they MUST have the attitude of keeping the harmony intact as to not be misled. The misleading occurs when one takes something out of context and begins to form a false doctrine. We have many examples of proliferations of the text to form that very thing. We also see MV proponents allude to these false doctrines and the cults formed by them as some sort of attack against the KJB. [Your attack on a group of posters in this forum is unacceptable]:wavey:

#54 Salamander, Feb 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
  15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

In every reference?:tongue3:

16. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Can you give me Chapter Verse and translation? I am looking at KJV, ASV, and ESV in E-Sword and I don't see virgin translated as anything but virgin.

17. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I probably mislead somewhat there, unitentionally. I go to my e-sword KJV with Strongs concordance and a Vines Dictionary. So while I go to the KJ, I am also using the a Greek hebrew dictionary as well. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Probably the RSV.

Isa 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, a young woman shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Imman'u-el.

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.:thumbs:

20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Not to mention... the Hebrew word (almah) translated 'virgin' (KJV) and 'young woman' (RSV) actually means 'young woman' or 'maiden' and may only IMPLY virginity.

Reference Genesis 24:43; Exodus 2:8; Psalm 68:25; Proverbs 30:19; Song of Solomon 1:3; 6:8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.