1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

English

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Salamander, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salamander

Salamander New Member

yes, yes, bring it all down to intelligence verses truth, it worked everytime for the Greeks except when Jesus confronted that intelligence.:laugh:

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

How great a mistake it has always been to accept disharmony of any passage without considering the entirety of the Bible.

Why should I have to read the whole Bible to know she was a virgin when Is 7:14 says she is? Wouldn't it become a platform for question if it didn't make that ascertain? Didn't the serpent beguile Eve with the platform of questioning God's word?:godisgood:

3. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Not really applicable in my mind. Like I said, I can throw out my RSV(never had one) but why ESV?

Let time travel (pretend) it's 2509 and some guy is online saying that the ESV is the only translation. It translates Is14:7 as virgin. But the HYTUV translates it as "young Woman". Therfore you should throw out all modern versions.

If I in 2009 throw out all MVs why should I not throw out KJ also. It is a Modern version, is it not? 400 years old as compared to thousands for the original text.

I understand being careful about what we accept, but you haven't convinced me yet. And I am open minded on the subject. Like I said, my church, my pastor, and several others that have mentored me are KJO.

I appreciate the discussion, as that I am not that comfortable discussing this topic amongst my congregation for fear of confusing them.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Actually it's 4 but who's counting? :laugh:

"Smarts" really has nothing to do with it. The Holy Spirit gives us the capability to express God's Word in many different languages. And it is an honor to be able to do so.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Isn't it true that the NT often takes an OT quote and changes it slightly or applies it in a new way?

It does not bother me if Is 7.14 means "young woman" and Matthew uses it to mean "virgin." When it was said in Is. it was about a young woman who would give birth. This statement was cited in Matthew to show it was also a prophecy about the virgin Mary. This is not contradictory or inconsistent, but simply how God sometimes uses OT statements in the NT.

6. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Ah, you just uncovered the whole idea of staying with the KJB, it does not ever take a chance of confusing anyone.

The KJB wil still be around in 2509 whiloe the modernists will have introduced who know's how many "improved" versions.

I wouldn't be too quick to place speculations into the mix.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Hmmm, then I suppose we can discount the learning of the KJV translators? Why should their fluency in languages count any more (or less, for that matter) than anyone else's?

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Don't fall over, but I agree with you.

However (IMHO) I don't feel that using maiden or young woman makes the RSV a bad version. The RSV was the first Bible that I ever owned and I used it for several months after I accepted Christ until I went to TTU and there the KJV was the accepted standard so I went with that. And I never doubted for a minute that Mary was a virgin.

#88 Mexdeaf, Feb 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
  9. Salamander

Salamander New Member

OK, the platform is yours; make the distinction, as the Holy Spirit leads, with the term "maiden", or you can use "young girl".

The only limit is you will not be able to claim any exclusivity to make the distinction of "virgin" unless you exclude all others that could fall into either of these two catagories.:tonofbricks:

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Ahh, the irony!!!:D

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

So TTU did you some good as well?

Sorry folks, inside joke :)

12. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sal, can ya prove GOD is limited in English to just the KJV? Of course not. If that was so, God wouldn'ta allowed English to have changed so much. Instead, He has both allowed the language to change & kept His word updated within it.

Betcha can't prove any differently!

13. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Sal
    I'm trying to be patient and kind, but you are not answering my questions. Isn't the KJ a modern version? Why keep it and not another that has been properly translated?

I'm looking for a substantial, objective reason.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are no paraphrases of the KJV or the NASB.

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Pretty simple, actually- Mary was a maiden (Luke 1:48), a young woman, AND a virgin. No conflicts or heresy there.

16. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

My dictionary and learning say that maiden and virgin are interchangable.

17. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Sal, you're still deeply confused. It's the KJVO position that's schismatic and divisive.

:tonofbricks:

18. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Salamander, meanings DO become obscure as time goes on and as language evolves. That's the reason God has provided modern translations for us - so that the meaning may be kept just as it was when it was written without becoming obscure.

Salamander, you contradict yourself here. Since the English of the KJVs is over 400 years old, many of the word meanings have changed and become obscure. The modern translations provide clarity while the KJVs often provide obscurity. Make up your mind - do you want clarity or obsurity?

19. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Like the harmony of the KJVs when they give Ahaziah's age as both 22 and 42 when he became king? Yep, that's harmony, alright!

You nailed that one, Salamander! Good job! We see this happening all the time here at BB - people promote the false KJVO doctrine and lift their "proof" verses completely out of context.

Salamander, as is normal for you, your comments are somewhat obscure and unclear. Are you saying that cults are the result of modern versions? If that's the case, then you're absolutely wrong. I've never seen a cult that wasn't originally based on the KJVs. Some of the larger cults like the Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, and Seventh-Day Adventists eventually came up with their own translations (maybe mistranslations would be more appropriate) so they'd have "Scripture" that agrees with their errant teachings. But these cults all started with the KJVs.

If I misunderstood what you were saying, forgive me - the thought wasn't presented very well.

20. Abell

Abell New Member

Keith,
    You are dead wrong on this statement:

Please, please go to this website and see for yourself that two of the most popular MV line up with the JW bible: http://av1611.com/kjbp/charts/various.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.