1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enrolling Divorced Students

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Dr. Bob, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Each here has one college they like, support, endorse. Maybe an alum or sent kids. You can't hide it - biases show!!

Anyway, just cam across a note from a friend from decades back. It reminded me of the challenge he had getting into a well-known solid ifb college.

He had been living with a gal, gotten married to her, they had 3 abortions, but he was gloriously saved. The college contacted me (his pastor) about his past and I was honest. Then they said, "well, as long as he is not divorced we will accept him . . ."

He has gone on to have a fruitful ministry but the nags in my mind.

Does YOUR college (see paragraph 1) have a policy about accepting students who have been divorced, drunkards, had abortion, been shacked up previously, etc etc?

Just wondering out loud what are such heinous sins that will EXCLUDE a person from attending a college and which ones are not so bad.

Thanks. NO COLLEGE NAMES need be given unless desired.

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

The seminaries I've attended would look at such matters on a case-by-case basis. Isn't it interesting that a person can lead a decadent life, become converted, and then be admitted to certain institutions as long as he hasn't been divorced?

Many Baptist churches will ordain a man to the ministry who was involved in all sorts of relationships, had children out of wedlock, etc., before he was converted. If, however, the fellow was married to a woman who had an affair, left him, and filed for divorce, the poor guy is marked as long as he lives.

Bill

3. Dave G.

Dave G. New Member

Not mine, but I can think of four or five accredited schools that have policies that exclude those who have been divorced or married a divorced person, whatever the circumstances of the divorce, or whether the person was a Christian at the time.

4. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know of quite a few that have special procedures for enrollment of divorced students. There is usually a special form to fill out. I've seen it on a few sites.

5. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

My only response to any so-called "christian" school that does this mess is :mad: Grrrrrrrrr!!!Since WHEN is divorce the UNPARDONABLE SIN? And that "excuse" that "we don't want to chance ordaining a divorced man" won't wash with me.Thank God for the Blood of Christ.

Greg Sr. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My seminary allowed any (including divorced) to attend and get a degree. They concluded that that churches make the decision to ordain, not an ifb seminary. THEY would educate and allow the churches the decision.

My bible colleges (where I attended and taught) would not allow a divorced person. Period.

7. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

"Our" seminary will enroll divorced students, but they are interviewed by a staff psychologist to make sure they have dealt with the deep issues involved.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

SWBTS was founded by a divorced man who smoked cigars and carried a gun.

9. ABA

ABA New Member

Hello... Blessings & Grace to all. [​IMG]

I am very new to this board having joined within the last week. Greetings. My name is Amar Ahmed.

Generally I enjoy reading the posts, but I feel lead to respond to this sensitive issue. This is in no way a topical lesson, rather my personal opinion.
    1Jo 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
    I can truly say that the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin. God forgives and forgets our sins. (He casts our forgiven sins in the depths of the oceans never to remember them again). Now if a person who has a true contrite heart and repents, (not just remorse {just sorry}) REPENTS and that person demonstrates a regenerate heart, who then can condemn that person. Look at Paul after his struggles in Romans chapter 7, concluded in verse one of chapter 8... There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. (Some manuscripts add, "Who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit).

The schools have to make sure they are accepting the right? person. However, I do not accept them refusing someone education on the basis of marital status only if that was the case. There should be an individual consideration at the very least.

My wife divorced me without any Biblical grounds, to the pain of facing my Lord solemnly with the weight of the divorce. Yet by His Grace I am who I am in Christ.

With that said, I have been privileged to honor the Lord by PREACHING and TEACHING at several SBC Baptist churches. I AM NOT A PASTOR IN THE SENSE OF PULPIT PASTOR. However, when the pastors at three separate churches needed Godly help in all instances I was pointed to them calling on me to serve. On no occasion did I even know before hand that I will be called upon and these pastors knew I was divorced. We are to be ready in season and out of season. At one church I was called upon one early Sunday morning while still in bed to preach that Sunday. By the way these very conservative churches two of which had pastors with doctorate degrees and were graduates from SWTS. As a self-employed person, I do a lot of market place evangelizing. That's where my pulpit has been mostly for several years.
    While I may not agree with every situation or divorce, I do believe that there are exceptions. Look at Pastor Charles Stanley if I am allowed to mention any name. Was he then suppose to quit preaching because of his divorce some years back? I have tremendous respect for the man.
    There is hardly any marriage, which cannot be helped with the Lord's blessings. The parties involved will have to be willing to work at it in obedience to Christ. That's a topic all it's own but divorce in the Christian circle is rivaling that of the secular world and surpassing in second marriages.
    Brothers and sisters in Christ pray. The enemy is busy. 1Pe 5:8 Be sober, be watchful: your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour, 1Pe 5:9 whom withstand steadfast in your faith, knowing that the same sufferings are accomplished in your brethren who are in the world.

The weight of divorce is very heavy in itself. To be a pastor/preacher/teacher is a double weight. Add to this dilemma my very background (Lebanese), it is once again only God that ultimately forgives and justifies. GRACE, marvelous grace! I thank the Lord for His mercies, which are renewed morning after morning.

Please forgive me for my lengthy message especially this being my first. Not every one will agree with all I say, but again this is my opinion. Let the Holy Spirit lead each one according to the Scriptures.

In Christ,
    A brother who finds Grace only in Christ love and other true believers. [​IMG]
    Amar

10. ABA

ABA New Member

Dr. Bob,

Allow me please to write. I just posted a message and then read your most recent posting.

QUOTE from your post... "He has gone on to have a fruitful ministry but the nags in my mind".

THE NAGS IN MY MIND. We cannot know for sure absolutely in our finite minds or can we?. It's his conscience. But as you pointed out your friend went on to a fruitful ministry. God knows his heart better than he himself and God cannot be mocked, and He is no respecter of persons.
    As far as the nag you have, obviously you have concerns for your friend. May the Lord give you the grace to let go the nag. Believe we all have struggled at times with issues.

Now about the abortions which is definitly wrong, again assuming he and his wife truly repented, then that sin like any other sin is forgiven. Were they even believers when they had the abortions? I am sure they will not forget and hopefully they will minister to others against abortion.

I am not a seminary student so I do not have much to say about favoring one over another at present. Some are obviously more evangical than others. The liberals might not accept that view but thats how I see it. [​IMG]
    May God Bless You.

Amar

11. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey gang,

Do any of you know of MABTS divorce policy? No divorces under any circumstances!!!!

12. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I truly believe some people question the power of Christ's blood to forgive sins.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you stick with the cultural issue of divorce during the day the NT was written then you must include our modern day engagement.

14. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

There are so many different reasons as to why people get a divorce. That doesn't make you good or bad!!!! If you are saved and live a Christian life then what does it matter. I'm not going to be upset with someone who divorces their constantly cheating spouse (or other causes for divorce).

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nah. Not really. They believe it, but also believe that SOME sins (forgiven, under the blood) are of such a nature that they disqualify a person from serving as a pastor.

I question people who would defy the Bible's teaching by implying that "above reproach" doesn't matter any more.

16. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Above reproach I would believe to pertain to the man's present. Just say for example a man marries a woman and he and his wife are both unbelievers, she cheats and leaves then they divorce and years later becomes a christian then down the road feels called to ministry. He was not a Christian when his wife left him. That is in no way defying Biblical standards to look into that man seeking a call to ministry. He will have alot of trouble finding a church but I believe that he can still be effective in ministry. God changes people. I am not saying that if a man is a christian and is not getting along with his wife and they divorce that a man should pastor. Being above reproach matters. The whole Bible matters. It is the Word of God. I in no way defy the Bible's teaching on being above reproach by stating a man is still qualified to pastor given the circumstance above.

In Christ,

Brooks