1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enrolling in Public School....

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Hischild, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Hischild

Hischild New Member

My husband and I have decided to enroll our 11 year old daughter in public school.
    She has always been homeschooled and will be in sixth grade in the fall.
    Any advice?

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I personally have major problems with a public school decision.

However, you and your husband know your situation more than anyone else possibly can. There is no sin in sending your child to a public school. You must do what is best for you and your child.

Your child's adaptation will be difficult at times I am sure. Be there for your child to share experiences and thoughts about what they are facing and dealing with each day. We have a mighty God Who will assist you through the process.

3. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

I think at some point all children should go to public school. Because we all have to go out into the world,at some point in our lives (even tho we are not of the world) and school is a good place to experience it first.

Tam

4. frewtloop

frewtloop Guest

I agree, but I strongly urge involvement as much as possible so that you understand exactly what your child is exposed to. I have the advantage of a flexible schedule and have been able to be thoroughly involved in my children's school, and fortunately they are surrounded by dedicated Christians. To some extent that is allowed to be expressed also, as we live in a rural area where Christian roots are strong. Again, knowledge is the key, without involvement I could not have known these things.

TheWorm

5. Hischild

Hischild New Member

Thanks for the imput so far.
    I'm puzzled as to why my thread was moved to this section?

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

While I disagree with the need to send a child to public school, I do agree that parental involvement is key if you choose that route. The Christian parent can have a great impact in that situation.

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I have no clue why it was moved, where was it?

I'm doing the same thing. I think. LOL
    They're enrolled, we'll see what happens.
    Advice?
    1. Do not give the public school information because they ask for it. Know your laws. They don't need to intently examine the curriculum you used, they may use that against you. Give them report cards, or your certified teacher assessment, your written evaluations. This should be plenty for them to go on.

2. Prepare your child for what she'll come across. Help her know how to respond to teacher's or students questioning her about homeschooling.
    Also, it probably won't happen but it does seem pretty standard for children's services to pop into the situation when a child comes to a school from a homeschool or when they leave a school for a homeschool. Teach her how to handle herself under questioning. (my method was a bit different, I taught them to say "I cannot speak to you unless my mommy or my lawyer is here) :D But...if you want to go with the flow and all that simply let your child know that if she's uncomfortable with the questioning she's allowed to say that, and that she shouldn't listen to ANYONE if they ask her to keep questions or visits secret.

3. Over the summer get a standardized test form if you haven't done these already. I use Spectrum's book that contains tests similar to the standardized tests. It will help you know how on track with the public school system your daughter is, and you can work on any areas that may need improvement in order for your daughter to be on the same page as public school students.
    For you non-homeschoolers, please don't interpret that sentence as meaning homeschoolers are often behind, interpret is as "homeschoolers may be teaching different and more practical, useful info) [​IMG]

Gina

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You've no doubt instilld her with specific moral values and character. Continue to do so and she'll be fine. I have a highschooler in public school who was in private school until the end of jr high. She's doing very well, academically, socially, and morally. As long as you continue to lead, continue to love, and continue to be there for her, she'll turn out just fine.

9. JustAsIAm

JustAsIAm New Member

The only advice I have, you probably already do. Pray for your children, their teachers and the school system. I have just reenrolled my two oldest children and have had no problems with our school district. They haven't been asking intrusive questions, and my daughter (who didn't want to wait until September to go back) is adjusting very well. I'm still at home (with my husband's blessings) so I can be very involved with the school community and my kids.

I requested testing for my son, and he tested well above his grade level in all levels except spelling (where he was at level). I wanted to make sure he was properly placed. He has a tendency to try to get away with as little work as possible. I wanted to make sure he wasn't given the opportunity to "coast".

The school has been very helpful so far. Continue to surround your children with good Christian influences and keep the lines of communication open! I will pray for you!

10. JustAsIAm

JustAsIAm New Member

Whoops! I forgot one thing. Middle school is probably the ugliest time for a girl. They get very cliqueish. My daughter is not an "in" type of girl, but she has a group of her own friends who are not "in" too. We remind her frequently that she has to answer to God and herself for who she is and what she does, not the "in" crowd. It gets rough sometimes, but she is growing spiritually through the difficulties she faces.

God Bless!

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If anyone has studied the guild system they would know that it is an elite home school system.

When a child goes to school it is important to have good friends. My daughter has excellent Christian friends. They encourage one another and are bold in their faith. I would encourage children to get to know other Christian students.

The strongest Christian I have seen are from countries that had communist rule. The Christians had to stand strong. Persecution strengthens believers. If the child goes into any situtaion and is not strong they will fall. Some of the worst nonsense I have experienced was in the church as a pastor. See how Jesus adressed the religious people. In fact in Matthew 7:21-23 it says, "Not everyone who says to Me, `Lord, Lord ,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. "Many will say to Me on that day, `Lord, Lord , did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' "And then I will declare to them, `I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.'

Children need to know how to deal with people in the world and religious people of the world in the church.

12. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

don't do it.
    you will be sorry!!!

13. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Keep Praying! Make sure this is God's decision and not an easy way out.

Where was this thread before, BTW? I didn't move it!

A teacher friend told me two Sunday's ago that EVERY child in her county that has been homeschooled but enters the public school system is automatically put in remedial classes because it is assumed they're all behind. (In HER class, one 3rd grade girl scored one of the states highest reading test scores on the test P/S 3rd graders had to take for the first time this year and yet that girl has been forced to take remdial classes all year.) :(

Diane

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN MOVED TO THE HOME SCHOOLING FORUM. IT WAS IN ALL OTHER DISCUSSIONS WHICH IS MORE OF A 'FUN AND FLUFFY' TYPE PLACE.

[ June 21, 2004, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: dianetavegia ]