1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Entertainment as bait?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by christianyouth, Jun 13, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I thank God I don't go to your church!
    I'll have to ask God to forgive me for enjoying the privilege to worship Him with my church family :rolleyes:

2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I know. You don't care what people say. You just make stuff up to suit your particular need at the time.

Prove from Scripture that fun is NOT "worldly" and not "opinion" either please.

Yet this is your third, fourth, fifth post on this thread and you have yet to give a single Scripture that backs up your stance. Therefore it is merely opinion.

3. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

So do I, So do I

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Being as I personally don't feel like attending church just for the pizza (if pizza is a draw to me, and it has been, it has been because I was hungry.) or for the entertainment, there are some who will. Shallow though it may be. If ever I served food at a function, it wasn't the draw. We needed to eat. I have always tried to put forth the purpose--be it helping, discipleship, etc.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

And here come the ad hominems... Grow up. If someone debates you, you resort to childish attacks.
    I would hope you know you can't prove a negative...but probably not. You made the statement fun is "worldly" (which means sinful in the Bible)...the proof is on YOU to back that up.
    OK, let's use some "biblical" examples. I have fun going to weddings. Jesus went to wedding. Did we both indulge in "worldliness"? Your argument is plain silly "fun is worldly".

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:confused: You don't go to your own church :confused:

Or do you mean you are glad I don't go to your church? What kind of Christian attitude is that?

7. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

NO, not that, I thank God you don't go to my church, it is less entertaining than you like, besides that, we don't have a BLAST like you do.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sounds like a dead church, IMO. I never mentioned anything about "entertainment", BTW, so please quit misrepresenting me. I stated worshipping God is a blast. If it's not for you, I would take a hard look in the mirror. Your attitude and demeanor stink, btw.

9. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

I guess your right, thank you for pointing that out to me. It took someone on a message board that goes to a church to have a BLAST to show me the error of my ways.

My attitude is fine, my demeanor is okay, but I do stink, I had red beans and rice for lunch and dinner last night.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I also don't recall stating I go to church to have a blast, so again, please stop misrepresenting what I actually said.

Props, though, on the red beans and rice statement though. That was good :thumbs: Combined, they also make the perfect protein source!

#50 webdog, Jun 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2007
  11. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

I take it because of the "gun" mentioned in my name you seem to think I am prone to violence and the like. Sorry, just an outdoorsmen who loves to hunt as the bible states, Arise, Kill, and Eat. Therefore I do what the Lord commands every September to the middle of January and sometimes after that.

ShotGunWillie was going to be my next retrievers name. My hobbies include hunting, fishing, long walks on the beach, reading good romance novels, and training retrievers for hunting purposes.

The "Gun" portion of my screen name means nothing violent at all. In fact, it means I have a BLAST.

I am not misrepresenting what you stated. You said you wouldn't go to a church were you didn't have a BLAST worshipping. So that leads me to assume the reason why you chose to go to the current church you attend is merely because you take part in the said "BLAST".

I did not come to this board to cause problems, merely came here to read what other people think and possible throw my opinions out there and reap the consequences of offending some others. I know what I say may cause offense and I am not meaning to belittle anyone or cause problems. I just think we disagree on the point of going to the Lord's House. That's all. This is coming from someone who doesn't have "fun" at church during the worship service. My church is not dead, in fact, its the complete opposite.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus ate meals with people. I do not think people will stay, if there is only entertainment. A lot of young people are influenced and receive Christ because of those things. Many young people will tell you that they were influenced by the people they saw as credible at those meetings. To often people think Christians are a bunch of old ladies who go to an old church ready to cave in or church is for a bunch of dumb people who are pious and do not have a brain.

I do not know of anyone who would walk up to someone and tell them, "Today I have been talking to people about Jesus Christ and I want you to listen to me because you are a sinner bound for hell." Most people would be more tactful than that.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wouldn't go to a church that taught worshipping God should be a sorrowful occasion. Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...not a somber, solemn noise.
    I also stated worshipping my Lord is a blast, nothing about entertainment or what a church offers. Getting up for church on Sunday morning is exciting and a FUN time.

14. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

As i stated earlier, almost all of this errorneous Christianity comes from two things

Ignorance of/and/or rejecection of :
    1) Total Depravity
    2) Church History

If you believed in Total Depravity, you would not have to resort to manipulation. If you knew Church History, you would see the departure from Biblical Christianity in this culture, with all of it's new trends, which includes using carnal means to achieve spiritual ends.

'It pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe'. Be like Paul, embrace good theology, and recognize that it is God who draws(elko- compells) the sinner to himself. He does not need for you to have 'ice cream socials' and 'pizza parties' to bring people under the preaching of the Word. Arm yourself with some tracts, be friendly and jovial, and go preach the Gospel. I know you will not regret it, you will be amazed to see what God can do with a Christian who will rest in God's strength and believe his promises. Cast out the nets, and God will bring them in.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

And where is it stated that "ice cream socials" and "pizza parties" is not doing just that?

16. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, boys....TIMEOUT! Ya'll are making my head hurt. :tonofbricks:

Could it possibly be that the two sides here are talking about two different things?

I think, (from reading through all six head-splitting pages of this thread) that some of you are defining "fun" as goofy and idiotic behavior with no express purpose except to be goofy.

I see others of you defining "fun" as a joyful fellowship with other Christians.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What an idiotic, offensive statment. This should be deleted by the mods.

#57 webdog, Jun 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you for bringing some common sense back to the thread!

19. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just the mere mention of [removed inappropriate reference] offends me as a woman.

That fact that you flippantly linked it with reaching the lost offends me as a Christian.

It matters not that you were trying to "prove a point" in your own argument and were not serious.

#59 Scarlett O., Jun 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  20. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Thank you. And we did have fun in bible school.....about 110%! :laugh:

I really like the new avatar of your little son. He has grown a lot since that first picture you used was taken.