1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Environmentalist wakos quote

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "No matter if the science is all phony, there are collateral environmental benefits . . . [C]limate change [provides] the greatest chance to bring about justice and equality in the world."
    -- Christine Stewart, Canadian Environment Minister, Calgary Herald, December 14, 1998.

"A global climate treaty must be implemented even if there is no scientific evidence to back the greenhouse effect."
    [This is the "Precautionary Principle" in action: government should take action even if there's no justification whatsoever for the action.]
    -- Richard Benedict, Clinton State Department employee, working on assignment from the Conservation Foundation.

#1 Revmitchell, Oct 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2006
  2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Whoohoo! Quotes out of context!

What was the rest of what they said?

3. Walguy

Walguy Member

What possible context could that quote be taken from that would change the plain meaning of the sentence? The environmental extremists are just trying to use 'global warming' as an excuse for promoting what they would still believe in and promote even if all the evidence pointed to global cooling rather than warming. Or to no change at all. Or in the absence of any evidence that whatever global warming there might be has to have large negative effects. The science of it doesn't matter to them, and never has. Only the philosophy they have committed themselves to.

There's another quote out of context! We better look up the rest of what he said, right? :rolleyes:

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

That's what I want to know.

That may be true, but are these people the extremists?

Is that a quote from him at all? I think you made that one up as something you think he would say. For a moment, in light of his actions, I didn't question it, but he is more verbose and philosophical than that, I think. Do you have a cite for that quote?

#4 Daisy, Oct 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2006
  5. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Considering

6. Terry_Herrington

Considering it was Revmitchell who posted this, I tend to agree with you on questioning it validity!

7. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Ah yes, "environmentalist whackos" - that is a textbook Rush Limbaugh phrase. He has been using that as long as I can remember, and I was a Dittohead for a number of years.

Although I don't personally agree with his logic, Richard Benedict does have a point. How many of you remember the CFC's that were causing problems with the ozone layer? Production was largely scaled back, and the problem does not seem to be getting worse. It shows what can happen. Now, imagine if we were PROACTIVE with respect to the environment rather than REACTIVE. As a proud TREEHUGGER, I don't see a problem with a good global policy with respect to the environment.

BiR (an environmentalist whacko)

8. Daisy

Daisy New Member

It was actually Walguy who came up with that. I wasn't question the quote because of who posted it, but because it doesn't sound right.

9. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Not that it matters, but Rev. have you ever heard of the KYOTO agreement? Did it even occur to you that Richard Benedict is a former US ambassador, who helped negotiate international protocols such as the KYOTO? Seems that you have a very real knack for taking things out of context, maybe you should switch careers.

10. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

:thumbsup: from one whacko to another :laugh:

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

And ya even know how to spell it! Here, have a genetically modified flower as your prize! :flower:

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Does it make you sneeze less?

13. Terry_Herrington

My point was that you have had a lot of trouble just getting Revmithcell to even answer a question. This makes me question his quotes that are posted without a link. After all, he could have been given false information without his knowing it.

14. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Greetings Terry,

I trust that all is well with you and yours.
    In this particular case, those quotes are valid. But there are more.....

God's Blessings to you,
    BiR

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The subject of this thread has now become RevMitchell instead of quotes of environmentalist wackos

This is a familiar tactic of liberals who are essentially too lazy to do their own research, but rely instead on always attacking the messenger.

It doesn't seem to matter that this quote has been around for years and Christine Stewart is a well known environmentalist wacko.

There is no question she said it. There is no question she meant exactly what she said.

The "context" protest, while sometimes valid, is just as often a coverup for lack of knowledge and lack of effort to discover if the essence of the quote is actually changed by making it a stand alone quote.

This is obviously not the case with this quote , but the caterwalling continues.:laugh:

I'll give you another messenger to attack. It seems to be the only thing some of you really excell at.

"Let me remind you of the quotation that I gave just a few seconds ago of Christine Stewart, then federal Minister of the Environment. Ms. Stewart, a nurse by training with international experience in Africa, believed and said openly that it was okay to subvert the science because the end result was that the world would be a more just place, presumably because the trading of carbon credits would equalize economies between the developing and developed world."

BB

Have fun.:)

16. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Well Carpo, since I am obviously too lazy to do my research, where did Richard Benedict's quote come from and what was the context in which he said it? :rolleyes: Since I did not even mention Christine Stewart's comment well just let that one be for now. Why we are on the subject will you please elaborate on the disadvantages of the KYOTO treaty?

17. Blammo

Blammo New Member

18. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

BTW, who said this:

I consider it very relevant to the comments you posted from the "environmental whackos".

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Instead, let's do it this way.

It is you that complained Benedict's quote was taken out of context.

In what context did Mr. Benedict make that statement that would alter the meaning of it as used by Revmitchell?

20. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

:laugh: I guess the liberals aren't the only lazy ones.

FYI, the global climate treaty Benedict was referring too was the Kyoto. BTW, the quote I previously posted was by President Bush. His administration did not disagree with the goals of the Kyoto, only with how it is implemented. In other words even he believes in stabilizing greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere, surely you do not consider him an "environmental whacko". Both of the quotes the good reverend posted dealt with the Kyoto and its precautionary principle, (i.e., focussing on the consequences of global climate change due to greenhouse gas emissions rather than waiting for a scientific consensus on the cause/effect of global climate change). Context is everything.......