1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Envy, Covetousness, Lasciviousness

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by charles_creech78, Jul 20, 2007.

1. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

I like to know what all of you think and what it really means to you? This ones for you bastist believer.:laugh:

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, here are my definitions from the Scarlett O. Dictionary. :laugh:

1. Envy - This a when you allow yourself to become bitter and resentful in your jealousy over someone else's life. Maybe it's no one thing in particular, but just a desire to have the success or happiness like they seen to have. It causes scorn in your heart for the other person and really wears you down. You aren't going to do anything about except sulk and have a pity party.

2. Covetousness - This is different from envy. You don't care one whit about the other person. You simply have a craving for specific things or relationships that they have. You want his or her specific spouse or job or house. And you ARE going to do something about it. You begin with fantasy. It's where adultery begins and where theft and sometimes murder begins.

3. Lasciviousness - This is a lustful craving that makes you do things in excess or do things that are forbidden.

3. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I notice that at times some people seem to get pleasure or enjoy when they see other people struggle or fail. I think that is also a form of envy. Even if you don't feel your are jelous of sombody, but find pleasure if they are brought down a peg or two, I think that means your are envious of them. You see this a lot when some people are succesful and people enjoy thier failures. Especially if someone is succesful and people hold the view that they were just "lucky" and really shouldn't be.

I think it is a wonderful trait when you can always be genuinely happy for others good fortunes and successes.

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent point! :applause:

5. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Thank you.

This was going to be a simple thank you, but it said it was too short, so now I will try and send again. :laugh:

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

As always, excellent definitions! I'm envious of the way you so plainly state things in writing...oh wait...I admire the way you so plainly state things in writing :D

7. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I think you hit the nail on the head with those three words. I believe these are all a heart issue. If one would do a word study on "the heart" you will really see that most of our sins are a heart issue.

8. charles_creech78

Yes I see that alot to out of people that don't have the lord .They look for you to fail or do something that is not right. I see that out of Christain too. I tell them I am going to mess up some time. That I am not perfect in the flesh. Like this I said something to someone one day and they thought thy heard me curse. They went oh you cursed . I said no I did not .You heard me wrong.Then she said you did and the person that was beside me said to her no he did not curse . They always point out your fault and they don't see there own. Let me ask a ? Is it Envy if a person wants what a Christain man has spiritualy.I am talking about having Christ.

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

It is a wonderful quality and so very hard to do 100% of the time.

10. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

That could be longing, yearning. It could be the Spirit prodding. BUT it could also be envy.

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I like Scarlett and Steven's definitions. They could be on a BB advertisement :thumbs:

12. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

That is an interesting question, I am not sure of the answer. We do know that people will hate us because of Christ (John 15:19). We also know that some people who reject Him grieve over it ( young ruler in Matt 19:22). But I don't know if they can be truly envious of that or not. Usually I think of envy over something someone else has but you cannot. If someone was really envious would they not seek to believe in Christ Jesus? Maybe someone who was in a family that was strong in a different faith, and they know that turning to Christ would mean separation from their family. I could maybe see it then. Good question.

13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE: Envy, Lasciviousness, etc

I would not call that envy, but "zeal". I used to go to church a lot, mostly because people wanted me to. After a while, I noticed all the blessings that people got. I was coming home from work one sunday morning listening to a Freewill Baptist preacher preaching from the 3rd chapter of Daniel. I thought of where I was going if I didn't decide to "heed" to God's call. I got the "zeal", the "desire" to have what the christians had when I saw cry, shout, raise their hands, etc. So I would not call that envy, but zeal.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

This is just speculation, but maybe it is envious to want Christ if it is done in a mindset of just being assured of eternal life without any of the things that accompany it such as living for the Lord, obedience, being in a ministry where lead, being active in a local church, praying, study, becoming more like Christ each day, etc... I would say a person who just wants it to avoid hell is envious.

The point made earlier about getting an adreniline rush when someone else that you dont particularly like fails is a great thought for self examination of motives. I have been guilty of this many times, and without me doing anything to bring the person down.

15. charles_creech78

I thank that them that do these things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. They are not born again.