1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

EPH 2:1 Quickeneth

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ray Marshall, Jun 25, 2009.

1. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

Umm...No, that is the view of the vast majority of Calvinists. Just google "regeneration precedes faith" and find articles by your favorite Calvinists. Chafer's systematic theology is one of the few exceptions, if memory serves me.

#41 BaptistBob, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2009
  2. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

A mature discussion of Joh 3:3-12 would be fantisic. In fact, I agree with the bulk of modern Calvinist commentators, like D. A Carson (my old prof.) and Tenney, concerning the meaning of the passage. The passage does not help your cause, I must say.

We should also do John chapter 1, since that also seems to be a point of contention. Oh heck, let's do chapters 6 and 10 while we're at it.

#42 BaptistBob, Jul 5, 2009
  3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Well BB I have found that debating those who believe they, not God, are responsible for their salvation is a useless task. Those who believe in the big I will always reject the Biblical Doctrines of Grace.

4. OldRegular

I have already produced it. You are either not sufficiently perceptive to understand it or willfully not believing it.

5. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

Hardly. My only fear is to be on the wrong side of the issue.

It seems to me that the common theme here among the "Reformed" is that their perspective is the measuring stick. My measuring stick is Scripture. Let the cards fall where they may. I'm always reforming.

#45 BaptistBob, Jul 5, 2009
  6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WOW, are you ever wrong. Now you're saying that "the vast majority of Calvinists" claim that faith preceeds regeneration. You're totally wrong. You might as well claim that Calvinists are Arminian.

I googled the first two pages and found none of the sites claiming to be Calvinistic bought into your faith preceeds regeneration theory. Now there were plenty of synergistic sites who argued against regeneration preceeding faith though.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're pompous and arrogant to even suggest that Calvinists don't use the Scripture to determine doctrinal truths.

8. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

Sorry, I thought you said the opposite. That's why I mentioned Chafer as being the exception. My mistake.

9. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

I didn't. I suggested that some of my opponents are doing that, if I take their words at face value.

#49 BaptistBob, Jul 5, 2009
  10. TomMann

TomMann New Member

How do you determine whether your opponents have based their beliefs upon scripture or not?

11. RAdam

RAdam New Member

I'll keep asking this question: what do you do with the person that never heard the gospel?

12. OldRegular

Apparently on this Forum we have medical doctors, psychiatrists, psychoanalysts, psychologists, and now we have a psychic. This last one is scary.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Pray for them.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yet I see you did not condemn oldregular for this statement...

Well BB I have found that debating those who believe they, not God, are responsible for their salvation is a useless task. Those who believe in the big I will always reject the Biblical Doctrines of Grace.

Selective reading...or clear bias?

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You can keep asking, but until you accept the truth behind the question, you will never get the answer you are looking for.

16. OldRegular

Heh webdog

I did call them the Biblical Doctrines of Grace, not OR's doctrines of grace.

17. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

God is the God of both space and time. He can order things so that all who would believe will hear the gospel. That's something that nearly everyone can agree with, regardless of their theology. Any explanations beyond that are certainly worth considering.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

And your point?

19. RAdam

RAdam New Member

All who believe what?

20. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

Old Regular, you are correct. Working for heaven is a popular doctrine but some will not submit to the Doctrines of Grace and that is a pitiful state to be in. Believing thay you have to manufacture your own self in order to become a child of GOD is a mighty task that goes nowhere.