1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ephesians 1 Verses 1-5

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Jan 23, 2022.

1. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This false assertion of yours has been addressed and shown wrong so many times, yet you keep asserting the same error. This is clearly a blind spot in your life, an obstacle you continually hit that you cannot pass.
    When you live om an island of one, it should give you pause, but you refuse to pause.
    My purpose in response is merely to show any new reader that your claim is not what God claims.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinists post endless "taint so" posts but I post what scripture says. If Total Spiritual Inability were true, then God would not have needed to harden the people in Romans chapter 11. The fact (not assertion of opinion) that God did harden them proves to any objective reader of scripture that Total Spiritual Inability is a fiction of Calvinism. Multiple verses demolish the T, U, L and I of their TULIP.

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a strange passage for you to quote as it proves God choses who will be saved.

Paul’s purpose in that passage is to explain why Jews (generally not exhaustively) reject Jesus as Messiah. That is the “hardening” Paul is speaking of.

They are “blinded” to the truth of Christ as Messiah because they are unable to believe God’s Messiah would die on a tree (cross) because OT says “cursed is the man that hangs on a tree”.

God chose this method of sacrifice, knowing most Jews would reject Jesus as Messiah and the gospel would then go to the Gentiles.

For those Jews chosen by God, enabled by Holy Spirit, they understand and accept Jesus as Messiah and respond to God’s intervention with faith.

The passage you referenced demonstrates God’s sovereignty in salvation.

Thank you for supporting reformed theology, even though you didn’t realize you were supporting it.

peace to you

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

See Pharaoh, as already was hard and set against God due to being a sinner, but then The Lord completed that hardening for his glory!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not true, you often add to, take away, or change what it says to fit your logic.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So according to your absurd claim God hardened needlessly. Got it...

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another personal attack, another false claim, another bogus misrepresentation. Here is what I said that the Calvinist says is not true...
    Note the statement is totally true. Did I add or take away or change Romans 11? Nope.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is strange is your suggestion I do not believe God chooses who will be saved.
    God in fact hardened the unbelieving Jews. Full stop. To claim God did not harden them is to reject scriptural truth.

Scripture indicates God hardened to prevent belief of lost Jewish people, not that enabled some to believe. Thus you are presenting the exact opposite of what God's word actually says. This hardening is accomplished in the present, not when they were conceived

God's sovereignty in salvation is not at issue.

I did not support Reformed theology, that is your false charge and misrepresentation of truth.

9. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To the extent that Judas willingly betrayed Jesus to the Sanhedrin, and that God used this for His glory in the bruising and crucifixion of His Son for His people.
    Also, that it was Judas himself that was prophesied to do this, and that it was his deed to do.

In other words, the way that I understand the situation with Judas...

The Lord not only foresaw it in the knowledge sense, He had His Son choose Judas to be one of the twelve specifically to fulfill the Scriptures in the Psalms and other places, which tell of the Lord Jesus being betrayed.
    Judas acted willingly and in concert with Satan working through him, and the Lord worked it all according to the counsel of His own will so that it would all fall together as He wanted it to.
    It was prophesied to happen, and the Lord set things up in order for it to happen.

I hope that that helps to explain how I see it.

May God bless you, sir.

#89 Dave G, Jan 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Judas was so well qualified for the role of the betrayer, one might conclude his election was conditional.

11. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some might, but I do not;
    According to God's word, I see that his choice by the Lord Jesus as an apostle was, again, for a specific purpose...
    To serve as betrayer and to fulfill the Scriptures in Psalms 41:8-9:

" I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me." ( John 13:18 ).

Therefore, I conclude that he was not chosen in Christ before the foundation of the world ( Ephesians 1:4 ),was not predestinated to the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself ( Ephesians 1:5 ) and was not foreknown by the Lord and predestinated conformed to the image of Christ ( Romans 8:29-30 );
    But was instead a vessel of wrath fitted to destruction ( Romans 9:22-24).

He was not one of Christ's sheep, who were given to Him by His Father and that He would lose none of ( John 6:37-40 ).

As always,
    I wish God's blessings upon you, Van.

#91 Dave G, Jan 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did anyone say or suggest Judas was chosen for salvation? Nope
    Judas was well qualified to be chosen to fulfill the betrayer prophecy.