1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ephesians 6:1

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Sep 23, 2014.

1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing really "new" here however...

"Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right."

Parents today are under a lot of pressure to be more "permissive" and less "authoritative" in raising their children. Research has now shown the results of this progressive thinking.

Teenagers in Oslo, Norway in a study of 124 youngsters conducted over a twelve-year period, researchers studied parenting styles and the effect of each style on the development of young people.

Researchers divided the parenting styles they saw into categories ranging from parents who didn't seem to care to those who were extremely demanding and restrictive while offering their children little emotional support.

They found that parents who consistently set down clear standards of conduct and clearly defined limits, while offering close emotional support, produce teenagers who fared better in academic tests, are emotionally more stable, and are much less likely to be involved with alcohol or drugs than any other group.

The so-called "democratic" parenting style, they noted, produced far more heavy drug users than parents who set limits. They also noted that restrictive parents who offer little emotional support for their children tend to produce teens who, while not heavily involved with drugs, are less happy with life and fall below average on academic tests.

Researchers concluded that the limit-setting, rule-enforcing parents who offer strong emotional support to their children are the most successful parents. And this is exactly the style of parenting Scripture teaches us.

creationmoments.com

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

EVERYBODY works best in an environment where they know the boundaries and they know that they are safe. This is how I raised my kids and I am extremely close to them (and they to me), they know that I love them, will hold them accountable, am a safe person for them and yet am immovable with boundaries. My kids have respected our boundaries because they are not unreasonable and they know that we talk things through and they fully understand the "why" behind what we do.

Just this summer, we were away on vacation and my 22 year old was home alone, having just gotten back from a missions trip. She was sick and needed to just stay home but she wanted to see her boyfriend. She texted me that she wished Jeremy could come over to keep her company and watch TV but she knew he couldn't because there was no one home and our rule is no being alone with a boy in the house. She totally respected that even though she could have easily had him over without us even knowing. I knew her heart and tried to help her think of a way for him to come over safely (have his sister or brother come over with him, find another friend to come, etc.) and while it didn't work out for her, it was so good to know she respected us enough to follow our rules. She has even continued the same rule in her own apartment now! :D

Kids are wonderful but it's not easy to raise them well. It takes work, a calm and steadfast heart and mind and a lot of prayer! But it's so worth it in the end. I respect my kids! I'm proud of them.

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Couldn't agree more.....

This sure [excuse the pun] beats the stick-n-rod on da butt approach. I can't help but think the politicians need to do the same . . . enforce the laws at the borders. Once people thinking of sneaking in here KNOW the boundaries
    Illegals will be past history.

There is something to be said about the positives noted in this article. Thanks HAMel, great post for young parents.:thumbs:

4. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My mom was much the same way with us and I'm thankful for it. And Ironically I actually ended up setting up some stricter boundaries then she had for us growing up on myself because I saw the wisdom in why she had those boundaries. Kids need to understand the why not just because they are told so.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: IMHO, one problem is that some of the parents these days have no boundaries for themselves much less their children (Ephesians 6:4 also applies). It's almost an 'anything goes' attitude. But you are right that boundaries are important in raising children.

6. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    6 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 Honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise), 3 so that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the earth.

Here is the section in question:

1. We should encourage children that it is the "right thing to do" v.1

2. It promises "wellness" for those who obey v. 3

3. It promises long life v. 3 I would say that there have been "Godly" children who have passed on, yet they obtained a better inheritance and will be partakers in the resurrection