1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Epiphany

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If your raised up in a RC Home (as I was) particularly among Latin's, you have been exposed to the feast of the Epiphany. This was a time after Christmas where families got together & basically, as the story goes, it's to commemorate the Magi meeting the holy family. Makes for another nice meal with family & thus ends the Christmas season. I haven't practiced or participated in it in quite a while, as most of my RC relatives have died out & both my brother & I (both baptists) have moved away from RC Holidays.

I was just wondering if Epiphany has a place in Christianity or is it antiquated & slated for discontinuance?

2. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Epiphany has a place in Christianity and is observed by many Protestant denominations here in the U.S., as well as the Eastern Orthodox Churches; but not by most Baptists. If a head count was taken across the globe, there are probably more Christians observing Epiphany than not. And I think it is safe to say those Christian churches have no plans to discontinue Epiphany.

...Bob

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A very interesting comment was made by Father Richard Rohr in a commentary on Epiphany. Rohr states

... "Religion without epiphanies becomes a digging in your heels; religion with epiphanies becomes living on your heels, ready to go wherever God manifests. One wonders if the three kings ever went back home at all. Home base had been taken from them."

4. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

I like the comment from Father Rohr. Thanks for sharing.

I spent some time a while back attending a conservative Episcopal church and developed an appreciation for the many events in the church year. I even ran into a guy in Alaska who has an interesting Prayer Book Baptist website. And today, I use the Book of Common Prayer in my daily prayer time.

By the way, did you ever read any of Thomas Merton's writings. He lived an hour away before his untimely death.

I may be banned from BB for saying the above. :eek:

...Bob

#4 BobinKy, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011
  5. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

I'm Anglican, and we will be having church service on Jan 6th for the Epiphany. :)

6. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

That is comforting. Thanks for sharing.

...Bob

7. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I think the Eastern Orthodox Church also celebrates Jan. 6 (Epiphany) as the birth of Christ. In some areas of the world, the Christmas season is from Dec. 25 thru Jan. 6 (the 12 days of Christmas) thereby, in effect, celebrating both dates.

8. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

The EOC calls 'Epiphany' (Jan 6th--New Calender) the 'Theophany' and they primarily focus on Christ's baptism and the revelation of the Trinity that day. IIRC, they commemorate the arrival of the Magi on Christmas Day (ie Feast of the Nativity). Now, much of the EO world observes the OLD Calender and as a result they observe Christmas on Jan 7th and would celebrate Theophany after that. (Perhpas if Agnus Dei is still posting he could correct me if I'm wrong.)

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bob, I tried to get through Merton's autobiography but it was to different from my belief system than from ole Tom. I believe he got electrocuted working on some electrical circuits at the Kentucky hermitage. Father Rohr is a big fan & a bit of a radical in traditional Catholic circles but I would recommend his book "Jesus Plan for a New World"

#9 Earth Wind and Fire, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011
  10. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

My Grandmother called it old Christmas. Something that alot of the older ones here in Eastern KY used to say. Not so much anymore.

11. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Thomas Merton died by accidental electrocution in Bangkok, Thailand, while attending a meeting of religious leaders on 10 December 1968. I think his journals contain his best writing.

Rohr's Jesus' Plan for a New World looks interesting. Thanks for sharing.

...Bob

12. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Every now and then I have an epiphany, but I have yet to celebrate with a feast. I think some of them might deserve it, though.

13. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We marked Epiphany this past Sunday in our church as is my custom. If you use the Lectionary, which I do most of the time, it a day of great emphasis. Some cultures refer to it as Three Kings Day. We are so accustomed to seeing the magi (technically correct term) with the shepherds and Mary at the stable in our creche displays that it is easy to forget that they came much later and to an actual house. Lots of good life lessons from these that traveled to worship the Messiah.

14. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is still practiced in non-Catholic Christian homes in Latin countries.

in Christ,

Bob

15. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I was brought up in the Church of England, and yes, we had Epiphany (and Advent, Lent, Rogation days, Whitsun, Ascensiontide, and many others). Since I became a Christian myself, I have been a baptist, and have not had a special service for, or any other recognition of, Epiphany.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I dont recall my British family ever getting excited about anything...um, we dont do those sort of things you know... Pip Pip :thumbsup:

17. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

It seems you have read far more into my post than was there. I certainly didn't say that British people don't celebrate Epiphany, or even that British Baptists don't do so. (With individual baptist churches being autonomous, there is a great variety among them). All I said was that in my experience of being a baptist, I have not come across any special celebration of 6th January as "Epiphany".

As for excitement, looking back to the time when I was in the Church of England, where Epiphany is celebrated, "exciting" is not the adjective that springs to mind; Epiphany always seemed a bit of a let-down after Christmas.

18. drfuss

drfuss New Member

"As for excitement, looking back to the time when I was in the Church of England, where Epiphany is celebrated, "exciting" is not the adjective that springs to mind; Epiphany always seemed a bit of a let-down after Christmas."

Yes, the "12 days of Christmas" were over.

19. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I was raised RC and I have absolutely nothing to do with their epiphanies, or "feasts" or Mary worship or anything else they do.

And I've always wondered why they never have a "feast"..(the church gathering for a great meal)..when they celebrate their so called "feasts".

They have *pretend* feasts.

:confused::confused::confused:

AiC

#19 Alive in Christ, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011
  20. Glen Seeker

Glen Seeker New Member

I believe that the feast of Epiphany came about because the Eastern and Western church couldn't agree on the date to celebrate the birth of the Lord. Rome decided on Dec.25th but honored the Eastern church date of Jan.6th by calling it the Epiphany of the Lord.