1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episcopalian Church

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Nicholas25, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Could anyone pleae help me understand this denomination. I live in Northeast TN and am not familiar with them. I know all about the situations they are dealing with now such as having an openly gay bishop and choosing a woman to be their national leader. I mean if I passed by one of these churches would the sign say Episcopalian Church or do they have different names? Have they always been this liberal? Are they a branch of the Catholic faith? Thanks.

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

3. nate

nate New Member

Sure.

The US Episcopal Church is having these problems the rest of the Anglican Communion is not. The Anglican Communion has 70 Million Members in hundreds of Countries.

This question I do not quite understand. But I'll do my best. Basically that's the concern is this issue going to cause a schism within the Church. I for one think the liberaler US Episcopal diocese should pull out of the Anglican Communion and form their own "seperate" church.

Absolutely not. Most still aren't. Yes we are a branch of the Catholic Faith in that we continue holding to the docrtinal truths passed down from the Apostles and we have Apostolic Succession.

4. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

We used to quip that Episcopalians were Roman Catholics who had forgotten their Latin! <grin>

But, to respond to your question -- yes, in one way or another the word "Episcopal" will, so far as I have ever known, show up on the sign in front of a church of that denomination. It may be in parentheses or after a comma .. e.g., Christ Church (Episcopal); or it may be in connection with the word Anglican .. e.g., St. Whatsit's Church (Anglican/Episcopal).

Follow the leads given you by other posters and you will see that the Episcopal Church in the US is what is called Anglican elsewhere, all stemming from the (established) Church of England. There are a wide variety of theological viewpoints represented in the communion.