1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episcopalians suspended/censured by Anglican Communion

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Rob_BW, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Yes, as an Anglican I've been following this with much interest. I'm glad that the archbishops voted to suspend the TEC, although I think they should have booted them out altogether (of course I don't see the ABC having the guts to do that). I was thinking the Global South and ACNA (of which I'm a member) might possibly walk away from Canterbury and form their own communion via GAFCON and based on the Jerusalem Declaration. This may yet happen in the future if there is no repentance on the part of TEC.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a Brit, 'christened' into the Church of England as a baby, but baptized on my confession of faith many years later, I follow these things with interest. The C of E has much greater prestige and authority in England than it has in America.

There are some really excellent evangelical C of E churches in England; almost every decent-sized city will have one. But the large majority are rubbish and the best thing would be if the evangelicals came out. Of course, this would mean losing their buildings, so they're very reluctant to do so. But at some point the C of E is going to make a special service of blessing for same-sex couples, and if they do that it will be very difficult under 'Canon Law' for the evangelicals to opt out of it. That, I think, will be the time when the split in England comes.

Of course, the 3rd world churches may leave earlier, and so they should.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin, as you may already know, over here the Episcopal Church of South Carolina has been in the process of splitting for quite some time, and the issues over who retains the name and property are in the spotlight. I hate to use words like inevitable, but as you say it looks like a split is coming for the Church of England.

Do you think any entire diocese could split off, or only individual congregations?

5. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

There were already four breakaway dioceses from ECUSA at the formation of ACNA--Ft Worth, Pittsburg, Quincy, and San Joaquin. My pastor states that the Diocese of South Carolina may ultimately become apart of ACNA once all the legal issues (with TEC) are resolved.

It's my understanding that there is an Anglican Mission in England for those Anglicans who strive to maintain the traditional faith in the face of an increasingly heterodox and apostate C of E.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The vast majority of Bishops are certainly not evangelical and they get very nice houses and some of them get to sit in the House of Lords, so no, I don't see a diocese breaking away.

The only really good evangelical C of E church that I know well is St. Leonards Church in Exeter, near where I live. The leadership there is pretty much ready to go. I think they would probably become a Free church if they could find a redundant church to take over.. Others will join up with this 'Anglican Mission in England' if they want to stay Episcopalian.

Britain desperately needs another Reformation, and for that to happen the C of E has to split. How long, O Lord?

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Diocese of South Carolina split off from The Episcopal Church several years ago. The decision of whether the Supreme Court of SC rules to allow Bishop Lawrence's diocese keep the buildings & seal of the Diocese of SC could come anytime now. The Supreme Court publishes its decisions on Wednesdays. However, there were no new opinions posted this week. There is talk that the new Presiding Bishop of The Episcopal Church (Cory) is in favor of negotiating with the 'breakaway' dioceses as to the properties. The past presiding bishop had a 'scorched earth' policy and sold off seized properties to Muslims, etc rather than have orthodox congregations get them. The canons and constitution of The Episcopal Church says nothing about dioceses seceding from TEC. The argument seems to come down to whether or not it is implied that they cannot. As far as the C of E is concerned, a diocese could leave, but they could not take their property. Different polity.

In the area in which I live, San Joaquin, the vast majority of Episcopal churches in the Diocese of San Joaquin left TEC to become an ACNA diocese. Very strong parishes. Some evangelical, some Anglo Catholic. They probably would eventually lose their properties with the liberal courts as they are in California but, as I said, the new PB may be willing to negotiate settlements.

8. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BTW, if anyone is expecting TEC to repent from their departure from biblical authority and stop ordaining partnered homosexuals and performing 'gay' marriages, the majority of bishops have responded to The Anglican Communion primates actions and have made it very clear they have no intentions of backing off from 'full inclusion' of GLBTQ's in 'the life of the church'. It's full speed ahead!

9. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist