1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Erased" files still there?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by HeDied4U, Jan 25, 2004.

1. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I heard something many years ago concerning erasing files from a floppy, and I'm wondering if it's true, and if it is, will there be any way to recover "lost" files?

Anyway, I heard, or was told (I'm not 100% sure which since its been quite a few years) that when you erase info from a floppy, the information isn't really "gone," it's just had something (sorry to be fuzzy here) added to it to make it look like the information is gone? Is there any truth to that, or were legs just being pulled?

Now, if it is true, is there any way to "recover" what was lost? I had to have some work done on my computer, so I needed to back up a ton of files. I previously had this filed saved, albeit in a less than up to date form. Well, to make a long story short, instead of saving it, or rewriting it, I erased it, thus losing the work of an important project, and unfortunately, the computer work pretty much wiped my computer clean (thus the need to back up everything).

So please, oh please oh please tell me (don't mean to beg here hehehe) that the info isn't gone for good. Granted, I can start over, but I'm looking at about 2 1/2 months worth of work down the drain (and that much more ahead of me if I do have to start over), if it truly is gone.

Oh, one more thing before I go, and I don't know if it would have any bearing or not as to if the info could somehow be found. I used a 100MB zip disk instead of a regular 144kb floppy.

As always, any help or info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and God Bless!!!

Adam [​IMG]

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Eek. If it was a simple 1.44 floppy, it would be quite easy, but Zip disks are likely not as easy. Older versions of Windows and DOS had a program "undelete.exe" that might work, but I think it only works on FAT16 and FAT32 filesystems, and I don't know how Zip drives store their data. If you want to try that, I can track down undelete.exe for you to try.

Otherwise, you may have to go to a 3rd party vendor. googled, and found a couple software packages that will undelete zip disks for $70 and up. But I did find one that is about $40, and also has a free trial: http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/