1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Eric Cantor loses to Tea Party

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Jun 10, 2014.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Crabby thinks that the Democrats should run the GOP and that we should not clean house without his permission. If Cantor was popular with Democrats, that is a bad sign.

I have to agree with Ann Coulter that Cantor lost by 13,000,000 votes--the number of illegals that he wanted to grant amnesty to. That was the driving issue and it shows that the country wants the borders secure and wants the American people to be employed. The Democrats run on amnesty at their own peril. Cantor was a nice guy but he drank the beltway Kool-Aid and has to go to detox.

May Boehner be defeated also.

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots of reasons but most have to do with Cantor himself being out of touch with the people.

3. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Hey!

Funny you should mention that. The whole effort to shut down coal plants is what made the POTUS lose my support. That is absolute nonsense, and it only hurts us. We have the technology - from scrubbers to precipitators.

Unfortunately, I don't trust the GOP to help either - which is why I am hoping the Tea Party and the Right can send more and more of the establishment packing. Like I wrote previously: my disagreements with the Tea Party on social issues can take a back seat. If they extol fiscal responsibility, then I'm onboard.

Hope all is well with you and yours,
    BiR

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Careful BIR, you might become conservative or something.

5. Baptist in Richmond

Here in the "7th," there are two theories:
    1. The Tea Party and true Conservatives simply had enough of Cantor, and enough of them did to fire him.
    2. The primary was open, and as a result, many on the other side of the aisle took a page from Rush and implemented a version of Operation Chaos.

I am not a registered Republican but was still able to go in and cast my vote for Brat. Normally, I would be voting against Cantor, as I have done several times in the past. This time, however, I voted for Brat because I can see beyond the whole left/right thing, and actually went in to vote for him. Moreover, I will be going back to the booth in November to vote for him in the election.

Either way, turnout was VERY low, which usually works in the incumbant's favor. Not this time......

Regards,
    BiR

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to reports turnout was higher than usual.

7. Baptist in Richmond

The link you provided called the 7th "left leaning." That is laughable. This encompasses Henrico, Hanover, Chesterfield, Goochland counties, among others. These are not left-leaning areas.

To address point number 3, turnout was very low. When I went to vote, the counter in my precinct displayed 260, and this was around 7:00 PM.

Hope both of you are well,
    BiR

8. Baptist in Richmond

Yeah, I've seen those reports. Not sure why they are claiming that.

Regards,
    BiR

9. Baptist in Richmond

Ha! Never again.....

But I can honestly say that the fiscal conservatives are making more sense than anyone on either side of the aisle. And this LIBERAL can overlook differences if they are going to address this point.

Right now, fiscal responsibility overrides any social issue in my book. Simply put, our charge card has reached its limit.

I think we can agree on that point.

Regards, hope you and yours are well,
    BiR

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For once you and I agree.

11. Baptist in Richmond

WAY WAY WAY out of touch, g2c.

You knew Cantor was in trouble when his campaign started running commercials saying that he was a liberal professor, or the claim that a liberal immigration group was backing him.

http://www.politifact.com/virginia/...antor-says-liberal-immigration-group-backs-h/

That one looked especially bad....

Regards, hope you have a great weekend,
    BiR

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The report is something like 13.7%. So that is lower than normal?

13. Baptist in Richmond

:thumbsup:

I would imagine that we are in agreement on many things Spiritually. Although I am liberal politically, that is not the case with respect to my Faith.

Have a great weekend,
    BiR

14. Baptist in Richmond

Actually, you might be right - with respect to a Primary election.
    Especially given that the election for the GOP candidate was the only thing on our ballot.

15. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for being such a pleasant person here on the Baptist Board the last ten years, BiR! On the issue of coal, Indiana will be hit very hard. We are a major coal-mining state and we have a lot of electricity plants and we sell electricity all over, even outside of Indiana.