1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ernie Harwell

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Jan 22, 2008.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Anyone other than Tiger fans know who Ernie is? He was the long time radio voice of the Detroit Tigers. He turns 90 this Friday. How I miss that wonderful cadence and timbre. I loved to here him say after a home run: "Its looooong goooonnnnee!"

Here are what some other broadcasters have to say about Ernie Harwell:
    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080122/SPORTS02/80121078/1050

Any how who was your favorite broadcaster of yesterday?

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Yes, I remember Ernie well listening to him in the 80's with those great Tiger teams. My favorite line was when a batter looked at a third strike, Ernie would sometimes say, "He stood there like a house on the side of the road!"

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Ernie was good. I enjoyed his "That Foul was caught by a man in the 8th row from Lansing." I've actually heard people ask "How did he know" :laugh:

I personally loved Marty Brennaman and Joe Nuxhall . Marty and Thom together are very good. I will miss the Ole Left-hander.

Vin Scully is pretty good. He's no Marty, but still pretty good :)

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Lol I forgot about that call!