1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ESPN says Big-Ten is the best.

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Aug 11, 2005.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where are the posts on here from the 14th??

2. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah except losing and two team domination are not acceptable. How long have Michigan and OSU been on top?

One of the preview editors wrote that having grown up in Big 10 country, he thought their passions and play were intense... until he moved to the south and got a taste of the SEC.

It hasn't been too long ago that Tuberville was in trouble for not taking Auburn to the championship. I can remember a time when Alabama was dominant.... and Georgia... and Florida... now UT... now LSU... now Auburn... and who knows how good S. Carolina might be with Spurrier.

The SEC is simply much more crowded at the top than the Big 10. In fact, the ACC is now more crowded at the top than the Big 10.

You could also take a look at the NFL draft statistics and recruting statistics.

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Draft statistics aren't reliable because they vary from year to year. A common complaint I here about the Big Ten is that they don't draft many QBs. Well that isn't ture. I am not sure how many starters in the NFL are from the Big Ten now, but there was a time that they had more than any other conferance not to long ago. And Tom Brady IMHO is way underrated and currently the smartest QB in the NFL right now. I would take him over Peyton Manning any day.

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Draft stats over time are a pretty good indicator.

I have no idea about QB's but I am pretty confident about the overall numbers.

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2005 draft

SEC- 37
    ACC- 36
    Big 12- 34
    PAC 10- 33
    Big 10- 30

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Big Ten, by its current alignment, has a winning record against every other conference, though the narrowest margin is the SEC, in which the Big Ten holds an edge of 89-85-7. However, since the 2 conferences began playing bowl games against each other in the 70's, to measure their 'upper' teams against each other, the SEC holds a 31-20 edge in those bowl games.

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

And of course- the Big Ten has the winningest team of all time with a record that will not be broken for a very long time. :D

Oh and it aint OSU! [​IMG]

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alcott, Do you have figures on the modern era? Say maybe from 1980?

Like I said 4HG, its a two team conference and has been for a very long time. Yeah, the others kind of rise and fall. But they never sustain themselves at the top of the conference or as perennial national powers.

You don't become the winningest program of all time while playing in a conference with parity.

I would be interested if anyone has it: What are the top 20 winningest programs?

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well Michigan was winning long before the Big Ten looks like it does now.

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ... so arguably, Michigan has always surrounded itself with a conference made of teams they could consistently dominate. :D ;)

11. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Ouch. ;) :D

Uh nooo! Just the opposite.

By the way my second favorite team is in the SEC, so I do think they are a good confernace, and at times have been better than the Big Ten, but not this year. [​IMG]

Boy if we are having this kind of fun here now, just think what it will be like when they actually start playing! I don't know about everyone else here, but I am ready for seeing some good ole, college football again.

12. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is your second favorite team?

Absolutely ready.

I think that the odds are that at least some of the teams we are so highly acclaiming will collapse.

As much as it pains me to say it, UT is a prime candidate. Of course, any of these teams including USC that has key injuries will not perform as expected.

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, My favorite Big 10 team is Purdue. I really expected them to be much better with Tiller.

14. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

My second favorite team is Tennesse. They have a great program.

I like Purdue too, especially when they had Kyle Orton as QB- that kid played well and has some class.

I question USC's defense this year, of course they are going to pile on the points offensivly, but that will only get you so far, eventually you get a bad break and you have to loose a game. USC is due for a loss soon, maybe at Oregon?

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been a Vols fan since Heath Shuler played there. He and I grew up in the same small town and church though he was a few years behind me. I get frustrated with Fulmer's conservatism sometimes but I am pretty loyal.

I question USC's offense more than defense. Norm Chow was a pretty big piece of the puzzle. They have great offensive talent but I personally think there are other teams that are just as skilled.

I really dislike Pete Carroll but he is a very good defensive coach.

I don't really know who will compete with them. ASU seems to have a some good things going on. It is only a matter of time before Arizona and UW put it back together. Notre Dame might even have a shot- though my stomach will probably churn as I pull for the Irish. Any normal year I would hate ND worse than USC.

Realistically though, USC probably won't lose until January.... and I would even pull for Michigan against them this year. Their schedule is just good enough without really being a serious threat. If they played in the ACC, SEC, Big 10, or possibly even the Big 12, they wouldn't go undefeated.

I don't think there is a single team on their schedule as good as Michigan, Iowa, OSU, UT, UGA, UF, Auburn, LSU, Alabama, VT, Miami, FSU, Texas, Texas A&M, OU, and maybe a few others.

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since 1980 the SEC has the edge over the Big Ten of 43-24-1, or 49-29-1 including the games of Penn St., Arkansas, and S.Carolina since 1980 before they joined their respective conferences.

1. Michigan 841-276-36 (.745)
    2. Notre Dame 802-264-41 (.743)
    3. Nebraska 794-317-42 (.707)
    4. Texas 786-312-35 (.709)
    5. Ohio St. 765-298-53 (.709)
    6. Alabama 764-299-43 (.710)
    7. Penn St. 761-338-42 (.685)
    8. Tennessee 747-306-53 (.699)
    9. Oklahoma 746-288-53 (.711)
    10. Southern Cal 720-297-54 (.697)
    11. Georgia 683-372-54 (.640)
    12. Syracuse 665-438-51 (.598)
    13. LSU 659-372-47 (.633)
    14. Auburn 648-379-47 (.625)
    15. Colorado 644-396-36 (.615)
    16. Washington 641-361-50 (.633)
    17. Texas A&M 634-409-38 (.603)
    18. Miami (OH) 633-349-44 (.638)
    19. Georgia Tech 632-426-43 (.594)
    20. West Virginia 631-437-45 (.587)

17. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Hey Scott I agree totally with your post.

I am not sure I could cheer for ND over USC, but then again- I hate USC too. You are right about USC and their weak schedual. The PAC-10 deffinetly is not a very strong conferance right now. I would love to see USC play any of the teams you mentioned and get licked.

The conservatism of Fulmer is similar to that of Lloyd Carr. It drives me nuts some times. Like in the last Rose Bowl when it was 4th and inches and Lloyd has U of M kick a field goal instead of going for it. Stupid- you have to take big chances in a big game if you want to win.

18. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Interesting. The only PAC-10 team I see there is Washington.

19. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since 1980 the SEC has the edge over the Big Ten of 43-24-1, or 49-29-1 including the games of Penn St., Arkansas, and S.Carolina since 1980 before they joined their respective conferences. </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks Alcott.

Where do you get this stuff?

OK 4HG... this is the part where I rub it in a little... only a little though until we see how the season goes. ;)

20. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I enjoyed seeing that list....tho I must say I found some surprises on there that I didnt expect....such as Syracuse at #12 and the bottom 3 teams. I guess I would not have chosen any of them in the top 20.