1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ESV finally in study bible

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by 3John2, Feb 23, 2005.

1. 3John2

3John2 New Member

I've been looking to see if perhaps the ESV would be available in the Thompson or some other study bible. Apparently none were available. HOwever it will be soon available in the Reformation Study bible. It will be the 1st time it's available in a study bible. ANyone know why it's NOT more available on different study bibles?

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

John I think it is because it is so new. It was only published in its full form a couple of years ago. It usually takes several years to work up negotiations and contracts to print new books. I would assume that there just hasn't been enough time. Patience is definitely a virtue in the "writing" industry.

Notice the HCSB also is probably not coming out with new study Bible's yet.

The ESV will certainly make a good study Bible.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Crossway says it plans to publish a study edition in 2008 but provides no other information.

4. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

I saw a Reformation Study Bible on Ebay that was ESV.

I also have the video about the ESV that came on the CD if you buy one that I'll gladly host if anyone wants to see about the ESV. It advertises the ESV so it wouldn't be a problem w/ copyright stuff. [​IMG]

5. 3John2

3John2 New Member

A Thompson sure would be nice. Or an Open Bible if they were to go back to the ORIGINAL OPen bible where it had more helps than NOTES. I'm not to keep on NOTES although I have an annotated bible. Also the QUALITY of the Kirkbride (Thompson) bibles is SO high. Oh well, like someone said perhaps patience will be more developed by the time the ESV gets around. Maybe in 10 years?

6. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

You can't get better than a study Bible with notes in the Reformed tradition though. Also, another reason it isn't out in the others, it may be because the Reformed community is the group of Christians who has most embraced the ESV, so they are the ones who probably pushed for a study Bible. Plus, the scholars involved in the project are men like R.C.Sproul and such men, who are all Reformed. That could explain it too.

Frankly, I am darned excited about it and am saving up for one [​IMG]

7. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

:eek:

I hope that was just a nightmare!

[​IMG]

8. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

:eek:

I hope that was just a nightmare!

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]huh?

9. 3John2

3John2 New Member

I have noticed the Reformed part of the body of Christ tends to like that translation so it makes sense. I WOULD like to REALLY see it in the Thompson or the Open Bible.

10. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Thompson ESV would be a waste of paper and a good translation. Open bible is mostly pretty pictures nowadays

11. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Why would a Thompson [Chain] (I'm assuming) be a waste of paper???

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you read the notes? Campbellite, have you had to flip back and forth and back and forth to read what is written about a verse? A waste of paper

13. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Could you do two things?

(1) document what you're saying
    (2) be coherent

14. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a link to a very conservative group, that mentions some of the things I was talking about.

Thompson Study Bible Review

Note: I haven't read everything this website has put out, so just because I used an article from them doesn't mean I endorse everything they say.

15. 3John2

3John2 New Member

Perhaps if some of the other companies would build their bibles up to the quality of the Kirkbride I'd be more inclined to buy others.As for the Ryrie I've really never been to impressed with that as a study bible.

16. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Since we're talking Study Bibles and ESV; don't forget that e-sword software is free and ESV is also free for download (no copyright charge to use it with e-sword). Get it at e-sword.net.
    (not ".com").

This means that ALL of the many study resources that are linked to Bible verses can be pulled up from the ESV by clicking on the verse, etc.

17. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Phillip, e-sword is great! Tremendous resources, I cannot believe that it is free. It is updated on a regular basis and I cannot think of one time that have had a problem with the program. Have used for about three years now.

18. Craigbythesea

19. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

What's wrong if a Study Bible is "biased" toward covenant theology instead of futurism (dispensationalism)?

I mean, we have the Scofield and Ryrie and they're def. biased toward the respective editor's views.

20. Craigbythesea

They are biased.

[​IMG]