1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ESV/NLTse

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, May 17, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No , it's not a new hybrid translation . I thought I would just list the renderings of both from some 1:3 passages . The ESV will apear at the top and the NLTse below .

Mark 1:3

the voice of one crying in the wilderness : "Prepare the way of the Lord , make his paths straight ."

He is a voice shouting in the wilderness , "Prepare the way for the Lord's coming ! Clear the road for him !"

Luke 1:3

it seemed good to me also , having followed all things closely for some time past , to write an orderly account for you , most excellent Theophilus

Having carefully investigated everything from the beginning , I also have decided to write a careful account for you , most honorable Theophilus .

John 1:3

All things were made through him , and without him was not anything made that was made .

God created everything through him , and nothing was created except through him .

Acts 1:3

To them he presented himself alive after his suffering by many proofs , appealing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God .

During the forty days after his crucifixion , he appeared to the apostles from time to time , and he proved to them in many ways that he was actually alive . And he taliked to them about the Kingdom of heaven .

2 Thess. 1:3

we ought always to give thanks to God for you , brothers , as is right , because your faith is growing abundantly , and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing.

Dear brothers and sisters , we can't help but thank God for you , because your faith is flourishing and your love for one another is growing .

1 Tim. 1:3

As I urged you when I was going to Macedonia , remain at Ephesus that you may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine .

When I left for Macedonia , I urged you to stay there in Ephesus and stop those whose teaching is contrary to the truth .

2 Tim. 1:3

I thank God whom I serve , as did my ancestors , with a clear conscience , as I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day .

Timothy , I thank God for you -- the god I serve with a clear conscience , just as my ancestors did . night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers .

2 Peter 1:3

His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness , through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence

By his divine power , God has given us everything we need for living a godly life . We have received all of this by coming to know him , the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence .

1 John 1:3

that which we have seen and heard we proclaim to you , so that you too may have fellowship with us ; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ .

We proclaim to you what we ourselves have actually seen and heard so that you may have fellowship with us . and our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ .

2 John 3

Grace , mercy and peace will be with us , from God the Father and from Jesus Christ the Father's Son , in truth and love .

Grace , mercy , and peace , which come from God the Father and from Jesus Christ -- the Son of the Father -- will continue to be with us who live in truth and love .

Rev. 1:3

Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy , and blessed are those who hear , and who keep what is written in it , for the time is near .

God blesses the one who reads the words of this prophecy to the church , and he blesses all who listen to its message and obey what it says , for the time is near .

#1 Rippon, May 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2007
  2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now For Some 2:1 Passages

I'll identify the book . The ESV will be at the top and the NLTse , below .

Romans

Therefore you have no excuse , O man , every one of you who judges . for in passing judgment on another you condemn yourself , because you , the judge , practice the very same things .

You may think you can condemn such people , but you are just as bad , and you have no excuse ! When say they are wicked and should be punished , you are condemning yourself , for you who judge others do those very same things .

1 Corinthians

And I , when I came to you , brothers , did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speeches or wisdom .

When I first came to you , dear brothers and sisters , I didn't use lofty words and impressive wisdom to tell you God's secret plan .

2 Corinthians

For I made up my mind not to make another painful visit to you .

So I decided that I would not bring you grief with another painful visit .

Ephesians

And you were dead in the trespasses and sins

Once you were dead because of your disobedience and your many sins .

Phil .

So if therte is any encouragement in Christ , any comfort from love , and participation in the Spirit , any affection and sympathy

Is there any encouragement from belonging to Christ ? Any comfort from his love ? Any fellowship together in the Spirit ? Are your hearts tender and compassionate ?

Col.

For I want you to know how great a struggle I have for you and for those at Laodicea and for all who have not seen me face to face .

I want you to know how much I have agonized for you and for the church at Laodicea , and for many other believers who have never met me personally .

1 Thess.

For you yourselves know , brothers , that our coming to you was not in vain .

You yourselves know , dear brothers and sisters , that our visit to you was not a failure .

2 Thess.

Now concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to him , we ask you , brothers

Now , dear brothers and sisters , let us clarify some things about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and how we will be gathered to meet him .

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Continuing With 2:1's

ESV at the top , and NLTse below .

First of all , then , I urge that supplications , prayers , intercessions , and thanksgivings be made for all people .

I urge you first of all , to pray for all people . Ask God to help them ; intercede on their behalf , and give thanks for them .

2 Timothy

You then , my child , be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus

Timothy , my dear son , be strong through the grace that God gives you in Christ Jesus .

Titus

But as for for , teach what accords with sound doctrine .

As for you , Titus , promote the kind of living that reflects wholesome teaching .

( NET : But as for you , communicate the behavior that goes with sound teaching . )

Hebrews

Therefore we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard , lest we drift away from it .

So we must listen very carefully to the truth we have heard , or we may drift away from it .

James

My brothers , show no partiality as you hold the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ , the Lord of glory .

My dear brothers and sisters , how can you claim to have faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ if you favor some people over others ?

1 Peter

So put away all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander .

So get rid of all evil behavior . Be done with all deceit , hypocrisy ; jealousy , and all unkind speech .

2 Peter

But false prophets also arose among the people ; just as there will be false teachers among you , who will secretly bring in destructive heresies , even denying the Master who bought them , bringing upon themselves swift destruction .

But there were also false prophets in Israel , just as there will be false teachers among you . They will cleverly teach destructive heresies and even deny the Master who bought them . In this way , they will bring sudden destruction on themselves .

#3 Rippon, May 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2007
  4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sooo , what do y-o-u think ? The ESV is billed as a word-for-word translation . And the NLTse is known for its functional equivalence approach . But all-in-all there doesn't seem to be such a big gulf between them in my examples thus far .

On a side note , the NLTse seems to use more words per verse .

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    4:4's

ESV
    NLTse

Acts But many of those who had heard the word believed , and the number of the men came to about five thousand .

But many of the people who heard their message believed it , so the number of believers now totaled about 5,000 men , not counting women and children .

Romans Now to the one who works his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due .

When people work , their wages are not a gift , but something they have earned .

1 Corinthians I am not aware of anything against myself , but I am not thereby acquited . it is the Lord who judges me .

My conscience is clear , but that doesn't prove I'm right . it is the Lord himself who will examine me and decide .

2 Corinthians In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers , to keep them from seeing the lightn of the gospel of the glory of Christ , who is the image of God .

Satan , who is the god of this world , has blinded the minds of those who don't believe . They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News . They don't understand this message about the glory of Christ , who is the exact likeness of God .

Galatians But when the fullness of time had come , God sent forth his Son , born of a woman , born under the law .

But when the right time came , God sent his Son , born of a woman , subject to the law .

Ephesians There is one body and one Spirit -- just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call .

For there is one body and one Spirit , just as you have been called to one glorious hope for the future .

Phil. Rejoice in the Lord always ; again I will say , Rejoice .

Always be full of joy in the Lord . I say it again -- rejoice !

#5 Rippon, May 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2007
  6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    4:4's Continued

ESV
    NLTse

Col.

that I may make it clear , which is how I ought to speak .

Pray that I will proclaim this message as clearly as I should .

1 Thess

that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor .

Then each of you will control his own body and live in holiness and honor .

1 Tim.

For everything created by God is good , and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving

since everything God created is good , we should not reject any of it but receive it with thanks .

2 Tim.

and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths .

They will reject the truth and chase after myths .

Heb.

For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way : " And God rested on the seventh day from all his works ."

We know it is ready because of the place in the Scriptures where it mentions the seventh day : " On the seventh day God rested from all his work . "

James

You adulterous people ! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God ? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God .

You adulterers ! Don't you realize that friendship with the world makes you an enemy of God ? I say it again : if you want to be a friend of the world , you make yourself an enemy of God .

1 Peter

With respect to this they are surprised when you do not join them in the same flood of debauchery , and they malign you .

Of course , your former friends are surprised when you no longer plunge into the flood of wild and destructive things they do . So they slander you .

1 John

Little children , you are from God and have overcome them , for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world .

For there is one body and one Spirit , just as you have been called to one glorious hope for the future .