1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ESV or NASB

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Rocco, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Rocco

Rocco New Member

If you were on a desert island and could have only one what one would you want and why .How do they compare ? Thanks alot .
    Pat

2. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

ESV . . . . thinline.

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ESV if that is my only choice, the readabilty factor is the main reason.

4. Surfer5

Surfer5 New Member

THey are both from the Westcott-Hort/Codex Sinaiticus/Vaticanus/Nestle Textual stream. In that sense, its same-same.

If I was on an island with either one, I would pray that God would send me a different version floating on a raft or via parachute.

Surfer
    [​IMG]

5. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Yeah, perferiably the King James Bible. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Anti-Alexandrian

Hey,on a desrt island I would use "both";I would convert those ESVs and NASBs into BTUs.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Understand it was humor, but the thought of burning excellent English translations of God's Word does raise the hackles.

I am not an NASB fan. The flow of language (hey, I grew up on the archaic KJV1769 revision) is just too "wooden". So would opt for the ESV, an excellent modern English version.

FAR superior to many.

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I enjoy both of them, but would probably opt for the NASB because I am more used to it.

9. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Anti-Alexandrian said:

Hey,on a desrt island I would use "both";I would convert those ESVs and NASBs into BTUs.

A genuine KJV burns longer, what with the Apocrypha and all.

10. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

So are you saying that you would burn Bibles? Taking a quote from Luke 23: "Dost thou not fear God?"

11. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

I am reminded of Jehoiakim the king, in Jeremiah 36, deliberately slicing up the Word of God and throwing it on the fireplace because he didn't like what he heard.

"Yet neither the king, nor any of his servants who heard all these words, was afraid, nor did they rend their garments" (Jer. 36:24).

Not, in my estimation, that the more rabid KJV-onlyists actually care what their precious KJV says.

12. Marathon Man

Marathon Man New Member

In answer to the original question, I would probably choose the NASB (Update), for the following reasons:

(1) It is slightly more accurate, and:
    (2) It comes in a superior quality edition (thinking of my side column wide margin reference).

It would be a tough call, though. These are the two translations at the top of my personal preference list.

13. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I think that is highly debated. We could put down verse after verse in comparison and I think the result might be just disagreeing with the Greek and / or context and /or theological signifigance. Obviously if the translators of the ESV thought they could make ANY one passage more accurate they would have done so, so I'm sure they think they are more accurate then the NASB.

Everyone always complains about the quality of the ESV so I hope they fix it. I for one, have never been attracted to the NASB because of the split verses format. Now they tell me that it is in paraphraph format too but it is too late, I am with the ESV now. These are certainly are best two translations.

14. DCK

DCK New Member

If pressed, I'd choose the NASB, simply because there are several good study Bibles available with the NASB text, but none with the ESV. I'm not that concerned with bindings or covers, but I do like lots of footnotes and charts. [​IMG]

15. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I find it interesting that a good number of the study bibles have only found a home in the NKJV. MacArthur, Reformation Study Bible just to name a few. I actually heard that MacArthur uses the NASB in preaching and would like to publish with Lockman but it didn't work out. It would do wonder if the sales of the NASB if you ask me.

ESV is coming out with its own study bible. Why everyone has to always reinvent the wheel, I don't know. I hope they will begin publishing with the Reformation and MacAthur notes though.

16. DCK

DCK New Member

^^The Reformation Study Bible with the ESV text would be pretty close to ideal.

17. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is the issue of authors having "deals" with puslishing houses that prevent authors from doing everything they want. Swindol had his published in NIV and he too uses the NASB. It should be noted that Lockman, who is the owner of the NASB, historically has been difficult to work with when it comes to allowing others to use its bible translation.

18. Marathon Man

Marathon Man New Member

My understanding is that Lockman, which historically has been difficult for outside publishers to deal with, loosened up somewhat a few years ago, hence Zondervan published several new NASB editions (including the NASB Study Bible).

Along the same lines, does anyone know if Crossway has or will allow any other publisher to handle the ESV?

19. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Can't Lockman publish thier NASB with with others notes? I guess the issue is that Nelson "owns" the MacArthur and Reformation study notes (bc they paid the salaries while it was in production?) so it is not a matter of Lockman choosing to publish with these notes (since they don't own them) but Lockman allowing someone else to publish their own notes with Lockman's translation the NASB. I guess that makes more sense. I wish these boys would get together though and try to work out a finacial situtation that is at least reasonable for everyone, bc it would do good for the Body of Christ!

20. aefting

aefting New Member

I don't care about the study notes, I just wish that Crossway would let or get Cambridge to publish the ESV. I have a genuine leather wide-margin Cambridge KJV -- what an awesome Bible! If only they would print an ESV in the same format and quality.

Andy