1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ESV or NASB?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Priscilla Ann, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

I haven't posted or visited these forums for quite some time, so I apologize if my question has been addressed previously.

I have always been primarily a reader of the NIV translation of the bible; however, I realize that it is primarily a "thought-for-thought" translation. If I wanted to purchase a more literal translation, which translation would you recommend? I am leaning toward the New American Standard (NASB) or the English Standard Version? What are your thoughts on these? Is one more accurate and reliable than the other. Or would you suggest a translation other than one of these?

Also, what would you suggest for a study bible in either the ESV or NASB? I find that I have a renewed hunger for God's Word, and want to make a wise selection if I purchase a new bible.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

God Bless!

Priscilla Ann:jesus:

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Personally, I recommend the NASV (NT only - because I have had one for 40 years, and wouldn't have to buy one), the MLB (which I got on clearance, some 15 years ago), the NKJV (because I got one of those at a 20% off sale about 12 years ago), and the HCSB (which I really got "on the cheap" at the SBC last June). :thumbs:

Are you noticing any particular pattern, here? :D :laugh:

Ed

#2 EdSutton, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2008
  3. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Thanks for your response. I do like the NAS, and have read that it is one of the most literal translations. I will have to take a closer look at the NKJV and the HCSB translations. The number of choices is almost overwhelming, and a new translation seems to come along every few years to complicate things.

Priscilla Ann

4. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Glad to see that you are a bargain shopper! Smart guy!

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Having recently gotten the ESV Study Bible, I'd HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend it. We have a thread here about it in this room I think. It's huge - not a Bible to carry around but it's well worth getting. I find the ESV to be an excellent version for study.

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

My response was primarily intended to be humorous. :laugh:

Most versions have strengths and weaknesses inherent in the version. I do believe the NASB is one of the most 'literal' of all, however. I have cited all of them from time to time on the BB. Although I would not be particular bothered by any of the four (and I do understand the differences in the textual bases of all of them), I currently use the NKJV as my regular Bible. It does happen to have the best print of the three complete Bibles I mentioned, which is a noticeable benefit.

I even might suggest putting a "bug" out in the right place, being as tomorrow is Dec. 23. ;)

Ed

#6 EdSutton, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2008
  7. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

I have been very seriously looking at the ESV Study Bible at Christianbook.com, and have been impressed with the bible's description and the number of positive reviews. One of the comments, as you also mentioned, was that it is a very large bible and probably not one that you are going to carry around for church or bible study.

I will have to look for the thread you mentioned on the ESV.

Thanks for your input!

Priscilla Ann

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I like the NASB Thompson Chain Bible. It has numbers to the side that link topics that you look up in back and you can see how these themes run through the Bible. The notes at the back are worth getting this Bible just to have that. It is a very thick Bible. I keep it to use at home.

I also use the NKJV Nelson Study Bible. I like the notes in it a lot. There's an older study Bible called the Baptist Study Bible that has really great notes (in the NKJV) but I am not sure if it's still called that or if it's still out there.

Some people really like the NASB Study Bible but I have not used it.

I tried the ESV but for some reason didn't like it. I can't explain why. I also tried the Holman Standard and liked it but not as much as the NASB.

I tend to prefer the updated NASB over the NKJV, but there are more study Bibles that I like in the NKJV.

9. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

You are correct about versions having strengths and weaknesses. Another factor to consider is readability; some people say that the NAS is awkward in its wording. Do you find this to be true?

I do find the King James to be awkward for me, mainly because I was raised Catholic, so never really heard that translation while I was growing up. As an adult, I could not get used to the "thee's" and "thou's" of the King James. The NKJ is better, but still somewhat difficult for me.

My family had Christmas today, so it's too late to put a "bug" out for Christmas. Maybe I can try for Mother's Day! :laugh:

10. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Hi, Marcia!

I do have a Thompson Chain Reference bible in the NIV, and I have used it as my primary bible for the last 10 years. I agree that the Thompson Chain Reference Bible has really great notes at the back.

With the limited amount of reading that I have done on the NASB and NKJV, I like the updated NASB over the NKJV....not sure why, but the NASB seems to read a bit more smoothly for me than the NKJV.

Again, I really appreciate your input.

God Bless You!

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I gotta put my 2¢ in. I use both the ESV and the NASB and I like them both.
    If I had to choose one or the other, I am not sure which.

I really like the layout of the ESV. It has a much more modern layout than most.
    Also it is slightly to the left of NASB in that it is not quite as literal, at least that is what I understand, I can't speak for myself.

The NASB as stood the test of time more than any of the other "modern" versions, yet it was updated in 1995 so you do not have to worry about archaic words.
    The ESV on the other hand is one of the newest translations, I think it is the newest of the "literal translations".
    I have been absolutely amazed at the way the ESV has taken off.

I think it is truly the modern KJV in its attempt to be both literal, yet beautiful.

Final conclusion, choose both if you can. If you can't, you won't go wrong either way.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My suggestion,to no one's surprise,is to get TNIV.It's an improvement over the NIV in many respects.It's the best all-round translation in my opinion.

The HCSB would be the second-best option.Like Today's New International Version it occupies a mediating spot along with the NET Bible and the ISV between the NASBU on one hand and the NLTse on the other.

Like EdSutton,I like freebies too.I was given the New Inductive Study Bible several years ago (NASBU) and have appreciated it a lot.It has the widest margins of all my translations.So I can make plenty of notes with little difficulty.

The translation itself is a little unwieldy but not like the tortured English of the ESV.

I'll leave you with two contrasts between the NASBU and TNIV.

Luke 2:14
    N : Glory to God in the highest,
    And on earth peace among men with whom
    He is pleased.

T : Glory to God in the highest heaven,
    and on earth peace to those on whom
    his favor rests.

1 Peter 1:10,11
    N : As to this salvation,the prophets who prophesied of the
    grace that would come to you made careful searches and
    inquiries,
    seeking to know what person or time the Spirit of Christ
    within them was indicating as He predicted the the sufferings of
    Christ and the glories to follow.

T : Concerning this salvation, the prophets,
    who spoke of the grace that was to come to
    you, searched intently and with the greatest
    care,trying to find out the time and circumstances
    to which the Spirit of Christ in them was pointing
    when he predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories
    that would follow.

Dr. Robert Reymond said of the NASBU here:"very misleading translation.It should be :the time and circumstances."[What do you know?The TNIV has "time and circumstances"! --Rip]

13. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

I also like both the ESV and NASB. I guess that's why I'm having such a difficult time making up my mind.....wondering if there is anything that makes one better than the other. Maybe I should get one of each! (If I can afford it!)

Thanks for your 2 cents!

PA

14. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

You mention the "tortured English of the ESV". I thought that one of the advantages of the ESV was supposed to be its "readability". Do I understand that you find the NASB to read more smoothly than the ESV? Honestly, in the bit of reading that I've done of the NASB and ESV, I also found the NASB (updated) easier to read than the ESV....not sure why, but I did.

PA

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On those famous charts the ESV would be to the right of the NASBU;not the left.You're correct about the ESV being not as literal as the NASBU.The former is not quite as "essentially literal" as it's PR department would have us believe.It's only a smidgen more formally-equivalent than TNIV.

It was released more recently,but it isn't that "new" at all.It hardly differs from the 1971 RSV.

I'm not.The publisher is behind this translation all the way and they have a faithful website presence.

To switch from the KJV to the ESV would be a smooth transition.They are very much alike.But again,it's not as literal as we have been told."Beautiful"?! Certainly not.Review a number of my threads on the ESV demonstrating that its English is substandard.

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Whatever works. :thumbs:

Ed

17. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And now thomas15 will throw in his 2 cents. I personally like the MacArthur Study Bible in NASB. I will say that the ESV Study Bible is beautifully done and the binding is much better than the MacArthur. I'm not as smitten with the ESV text as some here are, it's good but not as good as some here make it out to be.

I think though the answer to the question is: Get all of them.

Tom

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I must say that the ESV Study Bible, in terms of layout, is the best I've seen.

But the translation itself needs a lot of work.

If you're looking for a faithful, readable translation, go with the TNIV.

19. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Personally, my favorite of the modern translations is the NKJV. Of course everyone has their own preference.

I LOVE the notes in the Ryrie Study Bible. They Ryrie was once available in the NKJV (I have one dating beck to when I had hair :rolleyes:) but these days as far as I know it's available only in the KJV, the NIV an the NASB. Of these three I'd suggest the NASB.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No matter how good some Study Bibles are, the text is what matters.I would prefer to make my own notes and keep commentaries separate from a given Bible translation.