1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ESV Update

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Deacon, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 2007 English Standard Version Update is now out.

Among the ground shaking changes: :laugh:

Gen 2:19
    So out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the heavens and brought them to the man to see what he would call them. And whatever the man called every living creature, that was its name.
    2001 ESV

Now out of the ground the LORD God had formed every beast of the field and every bird of the heavens and brought them to the man to see what he would call them. And whatever the man called every living creature, that was its name.
    2007 ESV

Rippon should like this one.

Gen 37:22
    And Reuben said to them, “Shed no blood; cast him into this pit here in the wilderness, but do not lay a hand on him”—that he might rescue him out of their hand to restore him to his father.
    2001 ESV

And Reuben said to them, “Shed no blood; throw him into this pit here in the wilderness, but do not lay a hand on him”—that he might rescue him out of their hand to restore him to his father.
    2007 ESV

See the whole list at: This Lamp [LINK]

Rob

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rick Mansfield's site is one of my most favorite to visit on the web . He is an excellent communicator when it comes to discussing translational issues . ( I'm not with him all the way on other topics necessarily ) .

It appears that the latest "revision" was even less significant than that which warranted the original being called the ESV in the first place .

I was disappointed that the revisions were not more substantial . I had harbored some rather high hopes that the team would get down to some real work this time . Oh well .

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a few interesting changes

I'll point out one of them here.

Psalm 19:4

Their measuring line goes out through all the earth,
    and their words to the end of the world.
    In them he has set a tent for the sun,

Their voice (noted in the Syriac version) goes out through all the earth,
    and their words to the end of the world.
    In them he has set a tent for the sun,

The difference between the original Hebrew words is slight.

Whose voice = Hebrew - קוֹלָם
    Their measuring line = Hebrew - קַוָּם

The witnesses mostly seem to point toward “measuring line” don’t they?

But there is a trump card.
    Paul quotes from the psalm in Romans 10:18:

But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.
    AV 1873

Rob

4. Acumenical

Acumenical Member

The ESV is already an excellent version, so massive changes aren't needed. Wholesale revisions would probably lead it in the dynamic direction anyway, and we have enough DE translations as it is. Looser versions have their place, but we also need formal equivalence translations (especially those of us who don't read Hebrew and Greek). Why tamper with a good thing? [​IMG]