1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternal Life Now or only in the Future?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by drfuss, Sep 3, 2007.

1. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Many Christians believe that they have eternal life the moment they believe. Other Christians believe eternal life in the scriptures only refers to life after we die. Below are lists of scriptures to support both positions. I didn’t bother to type out the Eternal Life Now scriptures because I am lazy and they are well known.

Eternal Life Only in the Future

Scriptures that can be used to support eternal life starting when you die include:

Mark 10:17 - The rich young man asked Jesus what to do to inherit eternal life.
    Luke 10:25 - An expert of the law asked Jesus “What must I do to inherit eternal life?
    Luke 18:18 - A certain ruler asked Jesus “What must I do to inherit eternal life?
    Matt. 19:29 - Jesus talks about the blessings of this life and then says “and will inherit eternal life”.
    Matt. 25:46 - Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.
    Mark 10:30 - Jesus talks about blessings in this life and then He says “in the age to come, eternal life”.
    Luke 18:30 - Jesus talks about blessings in this life and then He says “and, in the age to come, eternal life”.
    Romans 2:7 - “To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor, and immortality, he will give eternal life.”
    Romans 2:21 - “….so that grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
    Titus 1;2 - Here Paul says “hope of eternal life” (Implies future tense).
    Titus 3:7 - “so that, having been justified by His grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life”.
    1 John 2:25 - “And this is what He promised us---even eternal life.”
    Jude 21 - “Keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.”

The above scriptures are specific about eternal life referring to the future life and not the present time. Note that inherit referrs to the future, not the present.

Eternal Life Now

Scriptures that can be used to support Christians having eternal life now include:

John 3:16, 3:36, 5:39, 6:40, 6:54, 10:28, 12:25, 17;2&3
    1 Tim. 1:16

These scriptures talk about Christians having eternal life.

Is there a contradiction here? I think the “Eternal Life Now” scriptures were written with the understanding that eternal life is promised in the future to those who believe; so it can be considered that they have eternal life, even though they don't have eternal life yet. The “Eternal Life Only in the Future” scriptures are too specific to mean anything else.

What do you think? Comments? Explanations?

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Eph 2 - "we are seated with him in the heavenly places" by faith now - even though in reality this does not happen until the Rev 20 event.

1. Mark 10:30
      but that he will receive a hundred times as much now in the present age, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and farms, along with persecutions; and in the age to come, eternal life.
    2. Luke 18:30
      who will not receive many times as much at this time and in the age to come, eternal life."
    In Christ,

Bob

3. standingfirminChrist

Eternal life is present as Christ Himself said 'hath eternal life'. I beleive it is given the instant we are saved, but becomes a reality when we pass.

4. ByGracethroughFaith

ByGracethroughFaith New Member

Eternal life begins the moment one is born again. The first birth gives the person temporal life, the second birth gives the person eternal life.

Born once, die twice
    Born twice, die once.

BGTF

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True enough. The ONE Gospel message in all ages.

But the warning texts in scripture emphasize the point that the saints must "persevere firm unto the end" they must "press on" in order that they might lay hold of that for which Christ has laid hold of them (Phil 3).

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Spiritual eternal life begins upon justification.

Physical eternal life begins upon the resurrection.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

In all my years of reading the Scriptures and studying in college and seminary, I never thought of it that way. Thanks, Webdog. But I think you are right. :thumbs:

8. standingfirminChrist

Think webdog just said what I said in different words. wtg, webdog!

9. ByGracethroughFaith

Of course we are encouraged to press on, Christ will reach as low in the mud as He has to to save us, but does not expect us to stay there. His desire is our sanctification, which is why there is continued instruction to press on etc. But it is Christ who confirms us to the end.

Here is an analogy:
    If a good man had found you to be drowning in the midst of a river, he would not merely pick your head above the water and leave you dangling in the river. No, he would pull you out of the river and place you on dry ground, and if needs be resuscitate you. It is the same with salvation by Christ. He will not merely pull your head above the torrents of sin, but will pull you out from it; and will breathe new life into you by the Holy Spirit, who gives you a heart to despise the river of sin and then leads you away from it.

The text does say FROM, not IN.

BGTF

10. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: Does anyone who thinks we have eternal life the moment we are saved, care to discuss those scriptures in the OP that says we don't recieve eternal life until later?
    Such as:
    Luke 18:30
    Matt. 19:29
    Matt. 25:46
    Titus 3:7
    Jude 21

11. ByGracethroughFaith

Not really, that is the same as discussing only those scriptures that refer to Christ as a man, without taking those that refer Christ as God as well.

BGTF

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. We do not have to think we have eternal life now. Scripture says that we have it now: "I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life" (emphasis mine).

2. It doesn't say you will have it, but you have it.

13. standingfirminChrist

I think that if they can prove we don't have it yet, that gives more credence to the false teaching that the saved can lose their salvation.

But Praise God! He said we have it now!

That, my friend, is something to shout about!

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Yes, that is something to should about. Amen.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, I agree with Webdog, but have always put it another way. I believe the "inward man" or soul, has eternal life when "born again" and the outward man or flesh, will receive his in the resurrection.

BBob,

16. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE: eternal life

Amen, Brother Bob....and another amen!!:thumbs: :thumbs:

17. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: Thank you for giving credence to what I had suspected. Having belonged to a Baptist church for the past 15 years, I was told and accepted the idea that we have eternal life now. Recently, I realized that there are a number of scriptures that are specific about us not having eternal life now, but that eternal life is promised to believers in the future (see the scriptures in the OP). Apparently, these scriptures are ignored to protect eternal security. Except for BobRyan, these scriptures continue to being ignored in these threads.

As indicated in the OP, I believe that the "have eternal life now" scriptures are written with the understanding that we will have eternal life in the future. The "only have eternal life in the future" scriptures are too specific for the "eternal life now" scriptures not to assume eternal life later.

The eternal life now teaching has been thorough and is popular. In addition, it can be used to support eternal security. It is difficult to step back from it and realistically consider what the scriptures really say.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Do you really believe a man has eternal life Bob; or even that the blood has enough power to cover all his sins?
    Do you believe that the blood would have covered that sin of David's if he had died of a heart attack before Nathan was able to reach him? If that had happened would David had gone to heaven (or paradise)?

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Who are you to question me whether I believe that God has given those who believe "eternal life"? You have no right to make such insinuations.

I tell you what I do not believe that Christ's blood covered you or any one else to go and commit adultery. If you have done so, then I advise you to repent and make it right with God, before you die. I think that would be an abomination and putting him to an open shame. I also, do not believe someone who says that the saved can commit any sin known to mankind, such as adultery, pedophiles, rapist of children or anyone, murderers, liars, theives is giving the truth of the word of God, but teaching a doctrine that Satan loves, that might cause men to settle down on something less than salvation and cause them to be lost. I did not know men taught such doctrine until I came on BB. All that I know of all denominations teach that such is lost and if they never repent will be in the LoF.

As far as David. Who do you think held his life in His hands. I give you your breath and you live, I take it and you die. David suffered for what he had done, but many in Israel did not and were cut off, guess what for, for playing the role of a harlot and adultery, the sins you always make an excuse for if you are saved, as you say, not me.

I pray, if you decide to ban me from BB, you will tell the truth and not say that BBob taught the saved could not sin, or were without sin, but the saved did commit sin not unto death. The saved do not commit the list I gave above as abomination to God. It would be a first to ban someone for teaching men if they are born again, that they will be kept by the power of God which will not let them "sin unto death", but will, by His Grace, keep them body, soul and spirit to be presented blameless in the day of the resurrection. I hope you post every posts I ever made on BB for all to read!

I am so glad that I do not teach what you do.

#19 Brother Bob, Sep 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2007
  20. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is no mystery brother. You gave scripture to support both therefore both are true. You have eternal life when God quickens your spirit and gives you the Holy Spirit/Living Water (born-again) Jhn 4:10-14 & 7:38-39. You await your ressurrected glorified body/physical life to come. Both are true just as the scripture states.

I like what SFIC said in another thread to someone. Try to stop believing in Jesus for a day and see how that goes for you. I trust you cannot because He lives in you and you will not be able to escape His truth.

Born of God as the scriptures declares is a personal spiritual knowledge of the truth that Jesus is Lord. This is given by God and is not something that only exist in the mind UNLESS you have not the Spirit of Christ and are found to be "none of His".

I like to asked this question, How can I stop believing in that which I know is absolute truth? Either you know Jesus is Lord or you don't. I have been believing in Jesus for 33 years and not one day ever went by when I couldn't. Even when I was caught up in sin I never stopped believing. I did pay for it in many consequences. But Praise Jesus He never leaves nor forsakes!

God Bless! :thumbs: