1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternal security gone to far?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by natters, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Isn't that amazing? None of the men whom God used to canonize the New Testament and formalize the doctrine of the Trinity were saved!

2. Craigbythesea

It was the belief of SOME the Reformers that once a person is saved, he can not be lost. There were some very important exceptions: Martin Luther, for example :D .

3. Craigbythesea

Somebody is having those nightmares again and confusing them with reality. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Craig, not surprisingly, you failed to deal with Romans 4. Not that you can...

5. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I'll take the plain teachings over the reformers any day.

6. natters

natters New Member

Daniel David, could you explain further? No longer is it "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved", but now it's "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and believe in eternal security, and thou shalt be saved"? No longer are we saved by grace through faith, we are saved by belief in OSAS plus grace through faith?

7. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

natters, how do you not understand? It isn't belief in Christ AND something else. Please tell me you understand this. It is the KIND of belief in Christ. The same is true in James 2. It isn't something that accompanies faith, it is the kind of faith. Good grief.

Terry, this is actual one point that the reformers got right.

8. natters

natters New Member

Daniel David, no it's not a "kind of" belief in Christ, it's a belief about how Christ works.

To illustrate: suppose a man repents, believes in and has faith in Christ that he died for our sins and rose again, accepts God's grace through faith, and also believes in eternal security from the moment of his salvation. He is saved. However, 17 years later, after living a fruitful, changed life and leading others to Christ, he stumbles across a Christian discussion board on the internet. He reads through several debates on eternal security. Through study and prayer, he eventually decides that eternal security is false, and leaves the discussion board. For many years following, he still leads a fruitful, changed life, loving his Saviour and leading others to Him.

Is this man unsaved because of a intellectual decision made 17 years after his initial conversion? Was his initial salvation "false" because he didn't get hit by a bus before those 17 years passed before he changed his mind about eternal security?

9. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Your little hypothetical means nothing. The only thing that matters is the testimony of Scripture. You can't deal with it. Romans 4 is explicit about the kind of faith that saves.

Abraham DID NOT WAIVER AT THE PROMISE OF GOD. I am saved, I don't have to twist that to mean anything other than what Paul said. You do.

10. natters

natters New Member

Convincing. :rolleyes: Daniel David, sometimes people change their mind about eternal security, either for or against. Does their salvation come and go with this changing of opinion?

11. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Natters' "hypothetical" means nothing? Or you didn't want to address it? [​IMG]

Salvation is by faith in Christ. You don't have to get all the theology right to be saved. If you insist that in order to have REAL salvation Christians must believe eternal security then you base salvation NOT on simple faith but on a WORK (believing a certain way).

12. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I am not suggesting that one must have perfect theology. However, some beliefs would indicate a false "conversion". If a person believes in an unscripural view of Christ, he is not saved.

13. Charles Meadows

The "scriptural" Christ in whom one must believe is that savior that was born of a virgin, died for sins, rose bodily, and will come again.

Anyone who accepts Him as savior is saved. Views on eternal security, eschatology etc do not preclude salvation

14. natters

natters New Member

Daniel David, since you won't answer my other questions, maybe you'll answer this one:

What about those who believe in eternal security, but don't believe that belief in eternal security is necessary for salvation? Wouldn't you say they have a misunderstanding of the Gospel as well, because they don't believe it is part of salvation?

15. Comrade

Comrade New Member

The eternal security thing has gone too far there. People may get saved once and not believe in eternal security so they get "saved" again and again but it really happened the first time. The second part that says that if someone doesn't believe or understand the Gospel. Understanding can mean many things I personally say that a person who is too young to understand is not lost but if a person doesn't believe the gospel they are lost (John 3:18)

16. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

natters, I don't know what question you are referring to. I just know that I have provided the Scripture. You have ignored it in favor of your little stories.

Again, only an unwaivering kind of faith will save. Disagree all you like, Paul said it, not me.

17. Charles Meadows

Romans 4? Yeah Abraham never waivered! He went to Egypt, he lied at about Sarah being his sister..

David (Romans 4) didn't waiver either - he just committed adultery.

What about Simon Peter? Did he waiver? No certainly not! He only denied Christ 3 times.

I guess we won't see any of these washed up waivering unbelievers in heaven. The only 2 people there will be Paul and Daniel David.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Laugh all you want. I have the testimony of Scripture over your interpretation of stories. Hmmmm, I wonder what is more important.

Chuckles, just so I know you can read and understand Romans 4, please post where it talks about Abraham not waivering. Then, everyone can see your little stand-up routine is really just bad comedy.

19. Charles Meadows

DD,

Romans 4:20.

You don't even realize that you are espousing a works-based salvation!! If you trust Christ as savior you have NOT YET done enough! You must believe this and this too! Have you ever considered joining the KJVO cult? They make similar silly presumptions!

Every human alive has fallen, failed, or "waivered" at one point or another. Are you really asserting that only those who believe in eternal security are saved? All Arminians are hell-bound?

You may be trying to capture the confidence of Paul - but remember that he was under inspiration and you are not!

In case you haven't picked this up already - humans are not an impressive lot. There are many simple souls out there; many with very very limited intellectual abilities. You cannot expect a simple child to know precisely the particulars of his relationship with his Mommy. Neither must the believer be able to define every aspect of his having been saved.

20. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I am not espousing works based theology. I recommend studying theology a little bit more. Actually, in your case, a lot more.

It is the kind of faith that will justify a person.

Here is Paul's argument:

1. Abraham and David were justified the exact same way.
    2. Justification requires faith alone in the God who justifies.
    3. The kind of faith must not waiver.

What you fail to grasp is that those who are saved will persevere in faith.

I have denied your silly accusation that one must have perfect theology. However, if one believes that God can fail, that person lacks saving faith and will be judged guilty of works.