1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Eternal Security the Acid test

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Biblicist, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No, this text is not about Jesus losing "any body." This text is explicitly about Christ not losing one single person that comes to him, which is every single person the Father gave him! That is precisely what John 6:37 and John 6:39 explicitly state.

This text has nothing to do with "any body" the Father did not give to him. This text has nothing to do with "any body" that never came to him. This text is a flat denial that a single solitary person given to the Son by the Father will fail to come to him. This text is a flat denial that a single solitary person that comes to the Son will ever be lost by the Son. This text is a flat assertiont that every single person that comes to the Son will be raised up to the resurrection of eternal life.

#21 The Biblicist, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2012
  2. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Deal with the text! Why should I go jumping around the Bible from text to text when you are simply doing Proof texting without demonstrating your proof text is not simply jerked out of context?

I am dealing with the text (Jn. 6:39) in its immediate context and what it explicitly states is confirmed by its context.

3. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Deal with the Biblical text in its context. Your philosophizing means nothing!

4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Deal with the text in its context or you really have nothing to offer this conversation.

5. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I was simply providing Scriptures that support the doctrine that God preserves us and included a few notes. It was an attempt to show as many verses as I could think of quickly that apply, as opposed to relying on just a couple of verses from a single passage. Showing more of His Word and less of mine is often preferable in these cases.

One of the attacks of those who oppose such doctrines is to build a doctrine on a verse or two and claim that is all that Scripture says on the issue. Or accuse us of doing the same thing. I was attempting to head that horse off at the pass.

6. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

BTW, if you want a discussion you might try not being such a boar, especially in attacking someone that's actually agreeing with you.

Enjoy your thread, I'll leave you to it.

7. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Michael Wrenn, you certainly have done an excellent job in refuting the false notions of the OP. :thumbsup:

Amy asks,

HP: Why did Satan and the angels forfeit their standing with God? Why did Saul forfeit his standing with God? Why did Judas forfeit his standing with God? Answer my questions and you will have the answer you so desire.

Who said anyone prefers to go to hell? 1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Isaiah 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
    Isaiah 14:13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
    Isaiah 14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
    Isaiah 14:15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

Read again verses 13 and 14. Satan did not forfeit anything with God; not his standing, position, not anything. He rebelled, and was thrown out of heaven, and one third of the angels with who rebelled with him. He did not forfeit salvation, for he never had "salvation." The angels in heaven look into the salvation of men with amazement seeking to understand our redemption. Lucifer never forfeited anything. His aim was and still is, to over-throw God. He is deceived and deceives those who he can get to follow him.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have no idea. You tell me. I asked the question. Why would anybody who is saved, knows Christ intimately, loves Him, willfully turn against Him and reject Him?

A Christian knows full well what happens to a person who rejects Christ, so if he has the free will to give up his salvation, then it must because he prefers hell since that is the only alternative.

10. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

For instance? Show me where my exposition under "A,B, or C" where I used language with faulty reasoning???

That is precisely what the text explicitly states (Jn. 6:39).

You are not contradicting the plain language of the text. The reason they come to Christ is because they are first given by the Father as Jesus later says that it is "given to him of the Father" (Jn. 6:65). The text says nothing about persevering to the end or choosing to perserve - not one word, not one syllable. Stick with the text and its immediate context.

You are accusing Christ of "fatalistic determinism" because I made absolutely no personal comments on that point - I simply quoted Christ's words.

The text does not deal with the issue of freedom does it? Deal with the text. Indeed, the overal context in regard to coming to Christ denies such are free to come to Christ by the words "NO MAN CAN come to me EXCEPT the Father draw him" ( Jn. 6:44) and "except it were GIVEN UNTO HIM of the Father" (Jn. 6:65).

Indeed, you are purely and simply ignorant of what you are talking about. You are not only READING INTO the text and context what is not there but you are totally ignoring the distinction between a prefallen human condition and a post-fallen human condition and they are not equal.

I dare you to be honest and objective enough to simply deal with the text.

11. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I am trying to avoid the very thing you are doing. Why? Because when you start jumping here and there, it becomes an endless merry-go-round.

The problem with these fella's is that they only respond through "proof texts" which are never addressed in context. I am throwing a proof text (Jn. 6:39) but I am also willing and able to deal with it in its context. Until we do that first, there is no sense in just jumping to another text because once you begin that, there is no end of it.

That is precisely what they want to do - keep jumping from text to text and NEVER DEAL WITH ANY TEXT IN ITS CONTEXT. If we start with one text and pin their tails down to ONE TEXT and deal with it in its context before jumping to another, we will expose their ignorant use of proof texts.

Didn't mean to offend you.

Everyone so far has fled as fast they can from this text in its context. Not one is willing to demonstrate that I am wrong by sound exegesis and why should I follow them to another text and another when they are going to do the very same thing over and over and over without EVER dealing with any text in its context??

#31 The Biblicist, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2012
  12. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Are you honest and able to deal with a text in its context in a scholarly manner? Or are you going to be like the rest and run as fast as you can to another proof text or to philosophizing?

Can we get anyone to show some expository scholarship on this forum and deal with a text in its context in order to prove your point????

13. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Gentleman,

Here is the problem as I see it. None of you want to properly deal with this text in its immediate context. You either want to merely jump to a Proof Text to avoid dealing with this text in its context (BTW avoid dealing with your proof text in its context as well) or you want to philosophize. Nothing can be accomplished by following your method.

Prove that my interpretation of this text (Jn. 6:39) is contrary to what it explicitly says or contrary to its immediate context. Once that you shut my mouth or I shut your mouth on this text, then, I would love to jump over to another text and do the same with that text in its context.

Why? Because, I believe that you are wrong and the reason you are wrong is because you simply quote proof texts without examining the context of your proof text. I believe if we examine the context one by one your error will expose itself. I am willing to take what I give out but are you?

14. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

This is circular reasoning! You are first ASSUMING that Satan and the angels had a position of salvation and then chose to fall. They never were saved and therefore never fell from salvation.

You are assuming Judas was genuinely saved when in fact, Christ who knows the heart said he never really beleived in him at all but made a false profession (Jn. 6:64-65, 70) and therefore was a demon from the beginning.

More importantly, you will not even address the text I presented or its context in any expository manner. You want to by pass the text of the OP and go to another text. However, this is the text presented in the OP. Will you address it in an expository manner?

15. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I have addressed your text you presented. You just do not like the answer. Jesus will not lose anyone, but that does not mean someone cannot willfully leave.

16. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Wondering about this also.

HP, hope you're still reading this thread.
    I've questions for you.

Have no knowledge 'bout the angels as to why...

Wondering if I'm on the right track ....and still searching:

As for Saul... From the moment he had a little power and a little authority, he never humbled himself to be approachable.. by God nor by God's servant Samuel. But also he sought spiritual comfort from a witch!

Ditto for Judas... in a similar fashion: He looked to man for forgiveness... attempting to undo the wrong he could never undo.... instead of looking to The Man, The Christ, the Son of God... who could take away his sin. The One he followed, he never really knew.

David knew the law, he talked with God. He broke a commandment and then another. I find it difficult to believe that this was in ignorance and not willful....yet God put his sin away: But in his case, he was humble when confronted and sought the forgiveness of God.

On the other hand, Esau, who sold his inheritance for food... never found forgiveness; (From whom is this speaking? From his earthly father or from God?) In this case, was this only a temporal example to warn us of a spiritual application?

Peter was the bold one, the one who declared under the power and revelation of the Holy Spirit "Thou art the Christ. The Son of the Living God." How is it.... later Jesus says to him "when thou art converted...." if Peter had already made this profession! The "conversion" of Peter...nor non of the other disciples is mentioned in the scriptures that I know of.

Paul gives testimony of his conversion..... but was it the instant that he recognized Jesus as Lord on the road to Damascus... or was it after he received instruction and was baptized?

17. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Biblicist,

Would you like to explain this scripture?

Exodus 32:33 The LORD replied to Moses, “Whoever has sinned against me I will blot out of my book.

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Oh, I forgot. Jesus was a Calvinist because God is a Calvinist. Thank you so much for correcting me. :rolleyes:

19. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Personally attacking me to defend your untenable position shows who the ignorant one really is. I could throw out some Bible verses that would contradict you, Hebrews Ch. 6 being one such passage, but I refuse to try to engage ignorance enhanced by arrogance.

And if it should happen that we both end up in heaven, I hope God puts us in opposite corners of it.

20. targus

targus New Member

The OP is based on proof text!!! :laugh:

You selected isolated verses to prove our preconceived idea.

And you refuse to consider those verses in relation to the entirety of Scripture.

That is PROOF TEXT. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.