1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternity in Heaven with God and the Lamb

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Brother Bob, Jun 23, 2007.

?
  1. Yes, we will be with God in Heaven, where He is now for eternity

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. No, we will not be in Heaven for eternity.

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  1. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Hey I resemble that remark :laugh:.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Webster's definition of Heaven includes the place where God (deity) resides with the saints...and until Brother Bob responds, that is what I'm understanding his OP to mean.

I'm guessing you would have voted, "no", as you believe some believers will not reside with God forever. What kept me from voting at all was the wording "where He is now...", as where He is now, we won't be for eternity. In His presence, yes, but location, no.

#22 webdog, Jun 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2007
  3. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Well you are right and wrong. I did vote no, but not for the reason you gave. Where saved individuals spend the 1000-year reign of Christ has nothing to do with the question. The question is where to we spend eternity. And ALL saved people will spend eternity in the same place in the presence of God.

So the reason you would vote no is the reason I voted no. God Himself is not going to spend eternity in "heaven" where He is now, so neither are we :).

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Sorry Web; but I believe we will be where God is now. Jesus said in "my Father's house" ARE many mansions. Those mansions are there now and he is building one for us. Also, when John saw into Heaven, this is what He saw.

Rev 7:
    9: After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;
    10: And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.
    11: And all the angels stood round about the throne, and about the elders and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped God,
    12: Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.
    13: And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they?
    14: And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
    15: Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them.
    16: They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat.
    17: For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.

In David's day, no one ever heard of a 1000 year reign and David said he could go where his son is, though his son could not come back to him.

I only look some and none of the Old theologians like Spurgeon, Calvin, Moody beleived we were not going to spend eternity in Heaven.

If those many mansion are already where God is and the lord is building us one, how could it be on this earth. I never ceased to get amazed on here though but find comfort in I believe as the old preachers believed.

It being on this earth was considered "heretic" until around 19 century.

Why would anyone believe that God will leave His throne, where He has been from everlasting to everlasting. Just does not make sense.

#24 Brother Bob, Jun 23, 2007
  5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

At least, I will be in among some pretty good old Scholars.

The great Protestant reformer, John Calvin, taught in the 16th century that people were "predestined" to either be among the elect (those who will spend eternity in Heaven) or the damned (those who will be punished for eternity in Hell). From that belief was derived the doctrine of "once saved, always saved." Protestants who follow Calvinism teach that a person who is once saved will never lose their salvation. Their followers can relax in the security that they are certain to spend eternity in heaven
    "The old truth that Calvin preached, that Augustine preached, that Paul preached, is the truth that I must preach to-day, or else be false to my conscience and my God. I cannot shape the truth; I know of no such thing as paring off the rough edges of a doctrine. John Knox's gospel is my gospel. That which thundered through Scotland must thunder through England again."—C. H. Spurgeon
    I go to a land which the plough of earth hath never upturned, where it is greener than earth's best pastures, and richer than her most abundant harvests ever saw. I go to a building of more gorgeous architecture than man hath ever builded; it is not of mortal design; it is "a building of God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the Heavens." All I shall know and enjoy in Heaven, will be given to me by the Lord, and I shall say, when at last I appear before Him—

Dwight L. Moody: Heaven and Chicago

Chicago was the world headquarters for the evangelist Dwight L. Moody. During the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893, Moody and his associates ran a camp meeting in tents in Jackson Park that drew crowds of up to 150,000 people per week. He delivered his sermons worldwide, as well as publishing collections. Moody drew heavily on anecdotes and examples from Chicago and other cities that he preached in, as in this selection from “Heaven and Who Are There”:
    Men who say that Heaven is a speculation have not read their Bibles.... My friends, where are you going to spend eternity? Your life here is very brief. Life is but an inch of time; it is but a span, but a fibre, which will soon be snapped, and you will be ushered into eternity. Where are you going to spend it? If I were to ask you who were going to spend your eternity in Heaven to stand up, nearly every one of you would rise. There is not a man here, not one in Chicago, who has not some hope of reaching Heaven. Now, if we are going to spend our future there, it becomes us to go to work and find out all about it. I call your attention to this truth that Heaven is just as much a place as Chicago.

#25 Brother Bob, Jun 23, 2007
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You deny God will live with man on New Earth? That seems unorthodox, BB, and denies Scripture. Why does creation groan for it's redemption...if it will not exist? What is the point of Jesus' second coming...if He 'aint stayin? There are a lot of problems with this view.

New Jerusalem descends from Heaven, so the "place" He is preparing for us will indeed be here some day.

Having said that, you needed a third option..."none of the above" :)

#26 webdog, Jun 23, 2007
  7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

what is New Jerusalem and is it a vision that John saw or what. To say God will leave His throne and come down to earth is leaving the scripture. The Kingdom will be delivered up to Him. John saw all of those who had their robe washed white in the blood of the Lamb, and they were where God is now.

Web, this doctrine of a thousand year reign and living on earth is a doctrine that was considered Heretic until the 19 century.

(On the 'Millennial Reign' of Christ)
    "But a little later there followed the chiliasts, who limited the reign of Christ to a thousand years. Now their fiction is too childish either to need or to be worth a refutation. And the Apocalypse, from which they undoubtedly drew a pretext for their error does not support them. For the number "one thousand" (Rev. 20:4) does not apply to the eternal blessedness of the church but only to the various disturbances that awaited the church, while still toiling on earth. On the contrary, all Scripture proclaims that there will be no end to the blessedness of the elect or the punishment of the wicked.

"For when we apply to it the measure of our own understanding, what can we conceive that is not gross and earthly? So it happens that like beasts our senses attract us to what appeals to our flesh, and we grasp at what is at hand. So we see that the Chialists (i.e. those who believed that Christ would reign on earth for a thousand years) fell into a like error." Jesus intended "... to banish from the disciples' minds a false impression regarding the earthly kingdom: for that, as He points out in a few words, consists of the preaching of the Gospel. They have no cause therefore to dream of wealth, luxury, power in the world or any other earthly thing when they hear that Christ is reigning when He subdues the world to Himself by the preaching of the Gospel. It follows from this that His reign is spiritual and not after the pattern of this world." - Comm. on Acts 1:8 (Torrance, VI, 32).

#27 Brother Bob, Jun 23, 2007
  8. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus didn't say anything about "mansions" in John 14:2. That is a bad translation of the King James Version that has led to bad theology. Jesus isn't building mansions in heaven.

Jesus said "In My Father's House are many dwelling places". Jesus was referring to the Temple in Jerusalem (also called "My Father's House" in John 2:16). The "dwelling places" were small rooms at the Temple that the priests would use when they came to the city to do their priestly duties for two weeks (or so) a year.

When Jesus says "I go to prepare a place for you", He is referring to going to the cross so as to prepare a place for the disciples in the presence of God (just as the priests had "dwelling places" in the Temple at Jerusalem). His death of the cross will allow them (and us) to stand in the presence of God as His priests.

As far as whether it will be where God is now (heaven) or in the new heaven and new earth.....I'll have to think about that some more.

peace to you:praying:

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Isn't it part of the same vision (John's) you are using to support the literal dwelling and mansions in the present Heaven?
    Scripture tells us that God will dwell WITH man...not the opposite. Scripture also tells us that the earth will be renewed. We are created to live on this planet by God...He deemed His creation "good". Sin flawed it, God will redeem it. We will NOT be spirits floating around in the clouds. The Bible tells us Christ will return to earth, so yes, It does state He will leave His throne and return.
    Again, it was a vision that God gave John of the future.
    A lot of things were considered heretical in the 19th century that weren't / aren't heretical, the doctine of a literal 1000 year being one of them.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

C.H. Spurgeon (1834–1892) in a message he once delivered (Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit, Volume 37, Page 354), made the following statement about "heaven and earth" as used in the Scriptures: "Did you ever regret the absence of the burnt-offering, or the red heifer, of any one of the sacrifices and rites of the Jews? Did you ever pine for the feast of tabernacle, or the dedication? No, because, though these were like the old heavens and earth to the Jewish believers, they have passed away, and now we live under the new heavens and a new earth, so far as the dispensation of divine teaching is concerned. The substance is come, and the shadow has gone: and we do not remember it."

I am not alone in this Web.

God dwells in our hearts now.

The doctrine was consider "hertic" until the 19th century, meaning the majority of the church considered it false doctrine.

#30 Brother Bob, Jun 23, 2007
  11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You switching to the dark side, BB, with the Calvin / Spurgeon quotes? :D

Like with much of his soteriology, he's wrong.

If we are in the New Earth, can we put the lamb in the lion's cage at the zoo to play?

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I need all I can get. :)

It seems D.L. Moody believe the saved have now the New Heaven and New Earth also, for we have God to wipe our tears away, We have God to deliver us from evil.

Have to say one thing, the followers of John Darby seem to have done a good Job getting their message across, even if it is the wrong message.

New Heaven and New Earth are a spiritual thing as I see it.

Web, why was that doctrine "outlawed in the church" for 1900 years, but now is accepted by many if not most.

II. Historical review of millennial thinking in Christian theology.
    A. Early church (c. 100-250) - millennium not emphasized. Variety of views.

B. Early reaction to view of earthly millennium.

1. Origen (c. 185-254) attributed such thinking to heretic, Cerinthus

2. Montanist heresy (c.175) had excesses of earthly millennial views.

3. Rampant speculation to calculate end time.

C. Augustine (354-430) rejected his previous earthly millennial position and interpreted

"1000 years" of Rev. 20 as symbolic of entire period from first coming of Christ to

second coming of Christ.

1. Council of Ephesus (431) condemned earthly millennium interpretation as heretical

superstition.

2. Became orthodox view of Church for centuries.

D. Reformation (sixteenth century) - Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, Anabaptists accepted symbolic

interpretation of "1000 years." Regarded Catholic Pope as Antichrist.

E. Seventeenth - nineteenth centuries - gradually revived earthly millennium view.

F. Nineteenth & twentieth centuries.

1. J.N. Darby (Plymouth Brethren), followed by D.L. Moody, C.I. Scofield, H.A. Ironside

(Dallas Theological Sem.), developed theological system of Dispensationalism

incorporating earthly millennium and pre-tribulation rapture of Church. Became a

primarily American theological phenomenon.

2. Majority of theological community (Post-millennial and Amillennial) has regarded

Dispensationalism as a modernist aberrational (disorder of the mind) interpretation.

I know not how true this account is of the thousand year reign, but have heard of Darby before as starting the Pre-millemium doctrine. If this doctrine didn't start until the ninetenth century, give me the Old Time Doctrine.

#32 Brother Bob, Jun 23, 2007
  13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

No doubt! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Personally, I tend to be a bit leery of a lot of what John Calvin believed, taught, and practiced.

[ I am not nearly as leery of what Spurgeon taught, and in fact, highly recommend two of his books to anyone - Lectures to My Students, and his unequaled, to this day, commentary on the Psalms - The Treasury of David, which should be "required reading" for any student in any Bible College or Seminary class on Psalms, IMO. ]

And I am not referring to what has mistakenly been labeled "the Five Points of Calvin" which should more properly be labeled the "Five Points of Dordt' as Calvin had been dead several years before Dordt, and this was much more the outgrowth of Beza, not Calvin. (But I have absolutely no intention of this becoming a C/A debate, by any means. Nor am I trying to derail the thread.)

By Calvin attempting to mold Geneva into a theocracy, the council that Calvin instituted had increased its power, so that sometimes the attempt of Calvin to temper the response to "heresy" was often ignored. The council, sentenced Michael Servetus, it's most famous 'ememy' to death and supposedly said they "put Servetus to death for his own good." (And unfortunately, Calvin, in the end, went along with this, just as with several others.)

My own guess is that Servetus probably was of a different opinion. :rolleyes:

Ed

#34 EdSutton, Jun 23, 2007
  15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I believe you have oversimplified the beliefs of D.L. Moody. Moody, in fact was a committed, if not ardent, dispensationalist (as was R. A. Torrey, Moody's hand-picked successor), your cited quote notwithstanding, for you have, I believe, 'overinterpreted' what Moody was in fact, saying.

There is nothing inherently contradictory in believeing that the believer, upon death, goes to be with the Lord, in Heaven, and shall ever be with the Lord, and have God (Jesus) bring them with him at the 'rapture', to receive their resurrected bodies, "be changed" (I Cor. 15; I Thess. 4) and have the living "caught up" with them, the once 'dead'and now resurrected, saints of the body of Christ, and believing in a literal future millenium where the saints rule with Christ, as He "rules the nations with a rod of iron". The saints are still "ever with the Lord", and will be with Him, even in the New Jerusalem, "the Lamb's bride", in a new heaven and new earth, wherein dwells righteousness.

In fact, in the list you cite, the author rather disparagingly puts Moody in the direct line from Darby, to Moody, to Scofield, to Ironside to Dallas Seminary, a mistaken association of Ironside, BTW, for Dallas was the direct outgrowth, if you will, indirectly of Scofield, and directly of Chafer. H. A. Ironside, by contrast, was entirely self-educated, and never had any formal schooling, not even grade school, so could not have been trained anywhere, let alone Dallas Seminary, although he later became a 'Lecturer' there, at times, presenting the W. H. Griffith Thomas Lectures either two or three times, I believe, although I am not certain of the number from some 35 years ago that I read this.

And I don't believe that the teaching of Millenialism was ever "outlawed", at least by Baptists, although it was "outlawed", if you will, in Geneva. There is a great deal of difference in a teaching being 'outlawed' and one that is merely not as widely accepted, as some. Some Bible Colleges and Seminaries "outlaw" some teachings for the faculty and staff, but I know of none that can 'outlaw what someone may think, right or wrong.
    And I would hazard a guess that it is still not accepted by most, including Baptists, although by more than in the past, I would think.

An example of a doctrine that is not universally held in Christendom would be the Baptist and Congregationalist idea of the local church not being subject to any other ecclesiatical authority, other than itself, God and Christ, and the Bible. Even Methodists, Lutherans, and Presbyterians are subject to conferences and synods, as I said, for an example.
    The author you are quoting, in Point E., shows that the (millenium) view had been held previously, otherwise how could it be "revived". One cannot 'revive' something that never existed, before.
    I have already stated, in another thread, that this pejorative 'slam' from the quoted author does not deserve a response. It still doesn't, and I'll not give it one here, either.
    I'll try. "Pre-Millemium" doctrine did not start with Darby. That is a complete falsification by some. J.N. Darby can rightly be called the 'father' of modern dispensationalim, I guess, although I believe Paul precedes Darby by a few years, and is the 'author' of the 'theological usage' of the word "dispensation" in Eph. 3.

Premillenial views were, despite the ignoring of them by the author above, held by several of the early Apostolic and Church Fathers, as well. Irenaeus, the personal disciple of Polycarp, the personal disciple of the Apostle John, and Justin Martyr, Tertullian, and Papias are probably the four best known advocates of this, although there were several others in the early church, among them, as well, 'lesser known lights' such as Pseudo-Barnabas, Methodius, Lactantius, Hippolitus, Theophilus, Cerinthus the Gnostic, and the Montanists. This is attested to by the outstanding church historians, Schaff, Scribner, and Latourettte, among others.

The A-millenial view was in fact, first widely proposed by Origen, the champion of allegorical interpretation, later accepted by Augustine. The arisal of A-mill, was in fact greatly influenced by 'Orthodox' opposition to the heresies of the Gnostics, Montanists, Donatists, and chiliaists, and the tendancy, then as now, of much sensationalism in eschatology, and the corresponding tendency, even back then, to "throw out the baby with the bath water", and A-Mill, in so doing, sought to remove the heresy from the church, with "guilt by association".

And it is simply not true that none held this from the third century, before Darby 'revived' this much later. Joachim of Fiore, a monk of the late 12th Century, certain Anabaptists, the Hugenots in general, and the Bohemian Brethren were all premillenial, as was the chiliastic Servetus, which not doubt, partly helped him to an untimely end at the stake where things really heated up.

Joseph Mede (early 17th Century) and Isaac Newton in England; in America, Jonathan Edwards, and the Puritans, Increase and Cotton Mather were also believers in a literal Millenium, some more outspoken than others. While 'millenialism' was not at that time greatly widespread, it was and has been around for many centuries and long before Darby, dating back to the Ante-Nicene times.

So in fact, one could well say that A-Mill was the 'new kid' who 'evolved' into the 500# gorilla, I guess. And in fact, "the Old Time Doctrine" is either what is known as Preterism, which I totally reject, or, the one I do accept, a belief in a literal future millenium. :thumbs:

Ed

#35 EdSutton, Jun 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  16. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Apples and oranges, Paul’s dispensation is the mystery of the revelation of the gospel in which ALL will be gathered together in one, of the same promise in Christ Eph1. Also you’d probably be wrong in guessing that Darby could be called the father of modern dispensation….as I don’t think he had any blood relations to the little girl he stole the idea from. :laugh: :laugh: Sorry, it's late and I couldn't resist. :laugh:

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I think the beginning of the millemium doctrine was the Jewish doctrine of which the Christians adopted as their own.

"The doctrine of the millennium was not the general doctrine of the primitive church from the times of the apostles to the Nicene council . . . for then it could have made no schism in the church, as Dionysius of Alexandria saith it did." (Ibid., pp. 1122-23. He cites Dionysius 5:6; Eusebius, Eccl. Hist. 7:24.)
    Philip Schaff (1877)

"Though millenialism was supressed by the early church, it was nevertheless from time to time revived by heretical sects." (Schaff's History, pg. 299 )

J. Marcellus Kik (1971)
    "The premillenialist, however, maintains as a cardinal and fundamental tenet of his system of eschatology that the throne of glory is an earthly throne set up in the material city of Jerusalem. The temporal throne of David is to be reconstructed in Jerusalem... As a matter of fact there is not one passage in the New Testament which gives definite information of a personal reign of Christ upon a temporal throne in the material city of Jerusalem! What seems to be hidden to the apostles have been revealed by uninspired men." (An Eschatology of Victory, 171)

#37 Brother Bob, Jun 24, 2007
  18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

This is partly true, as far as it goes, but also partly false, because it does not go far enough. Paul does uses this word in the way you are suggesting in Eph. 3: 6-12. However, Paul also speaks of at least two 'dispensations' (stewardships) in addition to this phrasing, as well- "the dispensation of the fullness of times" (Eph. 1:9-11) and "the dispensation of the grace of God" (Eph. 3: 2-5) in which he speaks of "in other ages" where this was not known to the sons of men, but is now revealed to the holy apostles and prophets. The "ages", here in context, can only mean something different, and the usage of the plural, obviously is speaking of more than one.

Ryrie, I think, still has the best concise definition I've ever heard on this, when he 'defined' adispensation as "a distinguishable economy (or administration) in the outworking of God's purpose." This is certainly consistent with Scripture, IMO.

Surely no one who is serious about the teaching of Scripture really thinks that we are not in this time since the cross "under" the same administration as Israel was "under the law". And Israel "under the law" [which, BTW, never applied to the Gentiles, for they never had it (Rom. 2: 12-15)], was administered differently than was Israel "before the law", as well as the Ante-deluvian age from Adam through the times of Noah. While each and every person has always been justified only by faith in God (Hab. 2:4, Rom. 4: Heb. 11) the responses and responsibilities have not always been under the same principles. This is the extremely limited summary, in a nutshell.

The "urban legend" about Margaret Macdonald is exactly that, an urban legend.

http://www.raptureready.com/rr-margaret-mcdonald.html

One could, I guess, attribute some influence from William Irving to Darby and the teaching of a 'Pre-mill, Pre-Trib rapture' although I am aware of no such influence. There had been references to such earlier, including that of Jesuit Priest Emmanuel Lacunza, who in 1812, published his book titled The Coming of Messiah in Glory and Majesty where he taught this; a book written circa 1744 in England, and published in Philadelphia in 1788 (very possibly by a Morgan Edwards, in both cases, who then may have migrated to KY??) openly advocated this, the discovery of these two items of which, BTW cost So. Baptist Evangelist John Bray, a Preterist, and and opposer of Dispensational and millenial teaching, 500 smackers each, by their discovery. He learned his lesson after the second time at 500 bucks, and later was forced to admit that there were occasions of this teaching all the way back to the second century. Puritans Cotton Mather, father Increase Mather, and perhaps even grandfather Richard Mather, although I do not know for certain, in the case of Richard, all were strong advocates of a version of pre-Mill, and certainly were well before John Darby, and his time, as Cotton died in 1728. BTW, Increase Mather authored over 100 books, in his lifetime.

In an interesting sidelight, I just found out that a KY Baptist Morgan Edwards settled in 1788 in KY, not too far from where I live, and preached extensively in and around the area. My own home church was constituted in 1782, and it is very possible that Edwards preached in the Forks of Dix River Baptist Church, where I was born, saved, and am still a member of. This Morgan Edwards also taught a Pre-mill rapture. I wonder if the two Morgan Edwards are one and the same, as the KY one died in 1795? I suspect they may well be. I would certainly be interesting to know if The Pre- trib rapture was actually preached in my own church, well before Darby was even born. It certainly was preached in KY.

Finally, Darby (who was a one-man 'paper factory', writing many books and well over a thousand letters), himself, published a book in 1827, that presented the teaching of a Pre-Trib rapture. That was three years before Margaret MacDonald had her 'vision'. I suggest it would have been kinda' difficult for Darby to have gotten this from her, three years before it happened. You think actually, her readings might have included Darby, among others, and that may have influenced her dream, rather than the other way around? Just wonderin"!

Just for info and a bit of trivia. John R. Rice was rightly called the "Twentieth Century's 'mightiest pen'" due to the large number of books and tracts that he wrote in his lifetime, and the widespread publication and use of such. One could well call John Nelson Darby "the mightiest pen of the 19th Century", and Increase Mather "the mightiest pen of the late 17th and early 18th century", in the same vein.

Ed

#38 EdSutton, Jun 24, 2007
  19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

What I really find interesting is the fact that we are here talking about the millemium being preach only a couple hundred years ago and condemned before that. If it is true doctrine, it sure was supressed for years and years for only a few renagades were brave enough to preach there would be a millemium on earth, when all the rest were preaching it is already here. I am not throwing this at no one, I am really surprised.

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Brother Bob, I have already shown that at least four of the most well known earliest "church fathers" (as well as some lesser known), namely Papias, Tertullian, Justin Martyr, and Irenaeus, who all taught this. In fact, Irenaeus even touches on this in his famous work, Against Heresies, where I believe he refers to any belief that is "anti-millenial", in this case meaning "Preterist", as in fact, heresy. Although I am not willing to go anywhere near that far, these, and some others obviously considered millenialism an "orthodox" belief. Do we decide on whether or not any doctrine is 'orthodox' by taking a poll?

Why is this any different than the "supression" of the teaching of "justification by faith alone", which was likewide, widely, I would add, "surpressed for years and years" before first Staupitz, and then the far more widely known Luther brought this to the forefront? Would any here not consider this as "true doctrine"? (Rhetorical question! Don't answer that! :laugh:)

I mean, after all, one could only find a few Anabaptists, Albigenses, Waldenses, some Hugenots, and a few other groups, at that time, who believed what the predominant church thought was this heresy. Did that make it so? I say it did not; I can speak for no other.

In fact, one can find Baptists today, even on this board, who do not believe "faith alone" is enough to justify one before God. They just usually phrase it differently, to 'cover' their true sentiments. :rolleyes:

Ed

#40 EdSutton, Jun 24, 2007