1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evangelical Seminaries and the Baptist

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by PreachTREE, Jul 16, 2007.

1. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

Being a Baptist, what beliefs/practices have changed or been strengthened after attending a non-Baptist seminary?

Why am I asking? Well I graduated from an IFB Bible College with a B.A. in Biblical Studies and am planning to attend TEDS for my MDiv. All your replies will be helpful! Thanks

PreachTREE

2. nkypastor

nkypastor New Member

Hi PreachTree!

I did my undergrad at Clear Creek Baptist Bible College and now I am attending Liberty Theological Seminary's distance learning program. However, I did take a few classes at a unaccredited evangelical seminary, and going to a solid evangelical seminary you will not notice much difference. However, it is interesting to hear what other denominations and ideas are out there. I found it very interesting, and it also reaffirmed what I believe as well. It will be a good experience. TEDS has a great reputation, unlike the Trinity (Newburgh) where I took some classes. You'll do fine, and I know it will be a blessing to you!

nkypastor

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

If you mean TEDS to be Trinity Evangelical Divinity School (now Trinity International University), I'd agree that it is indeed top flight, as is Liberty. BTW, so is Clear Creek, for undergrads, as are all I have aforementioned, IMO!

Newburgh? A half-step above Andersonville, maybe! :rolleyes:

Ed

4. nkypastor

nkypastor New Member

Ed,

I got hit with a :tonofbricks: and then I saw the light! I was kind of hoping that Trinity would get regional accredidation with NCA, but then when Dr. Hogg was forced out, I began to look at their business and ethical practices and was VERY uncomfortable with what I saw. Liberty has a great reputation, and is both regionally and nationally accredited (TRACS & SACS). Liberty blows Newburgh out of the water! :)

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==You are going to attend Trinity Evangelical Divinity School? That is one school that I would love to attend. I like the looks of their MA/Church History program. What will be the focus of your MDiv?

6. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

Trinity College, Trinity Graduate School, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School are located in Trinity International University. Trinity Law School is in California.

7. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

Well, lets hope that I get accepted first! :praying: If I do get accepted, I'll probably take their "pastor-teacher" track.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Since love is being shown to Clear Creek, I'm going to chime in as a proud alum! :wavey:

9. UZThD

UZThD New Member

didn't hurt me!

My BA and ThB in Bible (5th yr-1964,66)were taken in a Baptist school. My first teaching credential in English(45 more sem units-1969) is from a Roman Catholic school. My second teaching credential in Special Ed(1977-36 more units) is from an USA public university. My MA in Theology ( 36 sem units-1968)is from a Nazarene school. I finished work for the MDiv and ThM (1994) from a Baptist school and did the ThD (or DTh-2005) by research "in" a public South African university.

IMO a good way to go might be to be exposed to one's denominational particulars in undergrad work and then do grad work in the context of another somewhat different belief system.

I remain a Conservative Baptist but one who is fairly informed on opposing theological views , who has learned to use primary sources to understand these opposing views, and to modify his own understandings when it is deemed fit to do so. . This worked for me.

But one who plans such a course should first make himself aware of how his education will be viewed by those with whom he wishes to be associated.

Bill G.

#9 UZThD, Jul 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2007
  10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Keerect!! Trinity Law School, formerly Simon Greenleaf School of Law, later Simon Greenleaf University, is an integral part of Trinity International University since the school joined Trinity in 1997. TIU is headquartered in Deerfield, IL as it has been for at least 40 years. Any time before than that is before my knowledge.

Ed

11. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

Yes sir! I live 10 minutes away.

12. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I'm glad Liberty is working out so well for you! BTW the bricks crack me up!

Tom

13. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

I applied a month ago and today I finally got the acceptance call! Its kinda bittersweet because classes start on Monday! :godisgood:

14. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

I am a "fundamentalist" by heritage. It's been two weeks at TEDS and so far, I have not seen or heard anything that requires me to cry Fundamentalism. Right now, I'm debating whether or not I am a friendly Fundamentalist or a Conservative Evangelical. :laugh:

TEDS is awesome! :godisgood:

15. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

TEDS is not now TIU. TEDS is perhaps a part of TIU. I am enrolled there in the DMin. I think the question here is answered by how strong one is in their Baptist convictions. If you are not sure why you are a Baptist, going to a non-Baptist seminary may be harmful to you. If you know why you are a Baptist, then it probably won't be harmful. With everything you must be discerning.

16. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Russell Moore on Baptist & Evangelicalism

Hey gang:

This will fit the issue at hand. Dr. Russell Moore, Dean at Southern Seminary, gave a lecture series to a DMin seminar at Southwestern Seminary. It is online at the new SBCToday blog spot. I really do believe that any/all interested in this thread ought to go there and listen to what he had to say. Very good stuff!!!

http://sbctoday.com/resources/audio-resources/russell-moore

Enjoy! And please get this worked back into the thread here.

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

17. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

Would it be fair to say that the main difference between Baptists and other conservatives is their heritage?

18. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

No, not really. There are the Baptist distinctives that set Baptists apart.