1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evangelism in the 21st Century

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Kiffin, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

There are many Evangelistic strategies that I see are falling by the wayside, most notably Door to Door Visitation - What I mean here is the one on one cold turkey door to door visitation and personaly witnessing to someone on their doorsteps. For one thing it seems to be a 1950's and 60's strategy when people worked 9 to 5 and were more open to having strangers visit with them. Now you will do good to catch half of these people home and people are not as open to have you dropping in on them suddenly.

Certaintly lifestyle evangelism where each member of the church witnesses daily to their fellow friends has always been the most effective but what new ways can we share the Gospel or invite people to our Church that we may not reach on a daily basis? We do a twice a year New Testament give away around Christmas and Easter going door to door but what are some other ways?

The American Bible Society had a interesting idea. Go to a grocery store or Walmart and get their permission to set up a table or booth outside and have New Testaments and Bibles to give away with the Church's name inside these Bibles. Anybody ever tried this or what other ways do you and your Church do Evangelism say in Tract ministry, Bible giveaways, Soup Kitchens, Feeding the Poor etc...I would appreciate your ideas and input. Thanks [​IMG]

2. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

The "come & see" or "invest & invite" method seems to be gaining popularity. It is simply an encouragement for each individual attendee to invest in their family, friends, neighbors, etc. by building relationships and then inviting them to a church where the gospel will be heard consistently. It requires a commitment from a church to create an environment where the gospel will be proclaimed (and no I am not necessarily talking about a seeker-sensitive services here).

Whether it is right or wrong, the average Christian is afraid or doesn't know how to confidently share their faith, but most are willing to invite others to come and see (if they are excited about what is going on in their church).

Bob Russell, pastor of Southeast Christian Church in Louisville, KY (which has grown from 125 to over 16k since the late 60s), says that over 90% of their members have invited someone else to church in the last year and over 50% of their members came/were saved b/c of a personal invitation from a layperson in the church. They simply believe that if a church will commit to doing things with excellence and consistenly proclaim the truth, people will want to invite others.

I tend to agree with him.

This method is not your traditional door-to-door soulwinning, but it is one that is definitely effective and one in which everyone can participate.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Door-to-door was outdated by the 70's and I for one am glad to see other methods employed. The term "friendship evangelism" was loudly condemned, but is a working alternative.

Two problems I've seen:
    (1) People invite folks to church and expect every service to be a soul-winning adventure
    (2) People condemn door-to-door, then do NOTHING as alternative

4. rufus

rufus New Member

I personally have tried door to door, mail, special events, newspapers, etc. The really effective method working in my rural area is "lifestyle evangelism." No, it's not "watch me be a Christian." It's "what me and listen to me." It is about "walking and talking" the gospel.

In two cities I knocked 4000 doors each and saw only ONE person come to church as a result. That was 5 or 6 years ago. I've decided other methods are more effective.

Rufus GD&R