1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evangelism....Roman Road, EE, TWOTM....what next?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JonC, Aug 19, 2017.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looking at evangelistic methods, it is apparent that they all have weaknesses and strengths. Evangelism Explosion (EE) relied heavily on a preconceived idea of Heaven, the Roman Road assumes at least a reverence of Scripture, and The Way of the Master (TWOTM) relies on a general Christian worldview (and there are more methods, of course).

All of these methods had issues. Probably the Roman Road had the fewest and The Way of the Master the most (which may be due to the narrowness or detail each employed....e.g., the Roman Road was general while TWOTM very specific as to be flawed at a theological level).

As I talk with people what I am seeing now is that none of these methods are satisfactory. We are simply no longer trying to reach "Christian atheists" (the lost who share a Christian culture).

My question is, what’s next? Do you think that there will be (or that we need) a method of evangelism or do you think that Christ is enough (I don’t mean this derogatory, but in the sense of the Holy Spirit bringing to mind what to say as Christians are discipled in Truth)?

Personally, I think that the failure of these methods is a good thing. It forces Christians to be genuine and not rely on elementary teaching tools. It also means evangelism will consist of more authentic conversations leading to, I hope, authentic conversions.

But those are just a few thoughts. What are yours?

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is only ONE "method" of evangelism.

2 Timothy 4:2 preach the word; be urgent in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with all patience and teaching.

And what is the word we are to preach?

1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
    4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

Stick to the book written by God. Throw out all the books written by men.

• Like Like x 2
  3. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My thought is that we have those programs, because most people sitting in the pews are not welled versed in the Bible. They know they are suppose to be sharing the gospel, but they don't know enough to feel secure. So instead of teaching the Bible, they are taught these systems that serve as crutch. They are fairly easy to memorize and can make someone feel more prepared to go out an witness to people. The problem is that people are individuals and should be treated as such. This however requires a broad knowledge of the Bible, to respond to different things you may hear from people. I know in my own experience, being able to be flexable and use the Bible broadly to talk to people has had better results than following a script and thinking I've done my good deed for the day.

Now if discipleship was actually practiced, as prescribed in the Bible, I don't think we would have this problem as much. My pastor just finished a sermon series on Thessalonians, and he pointed out on several occasions that Paul had not spent a whole lot of time with them, yet had covered a lot of Doctrine with them. They were a church that was living out the Gospel they were taught.

I also remember seeing a clip of Voddie Baucham going on about how the church really doesn't know what to do with people that want to learn the Bible, beyond shipping them off to seminary. He then made and illustration of being a carpenter, and being told to ask the guy that had been working for 20 years to show you the ropes. You would be shocked if they said, well I don't know much I just work here, there is nothing I can teach you about carpentry, and yet we see this all the time in churches. People have been going to church 20, 30, 40 years yet don't feel they know enough to teach anything.

So I guess I view these programs as a symptom of a much bigger problem, or as a band-aid to try to cover up the lack of discipleship that has been going on for a while now.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #4 Revmitchell, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Personally, I teach people the Roman's Road when teaching them how to reach people. I believe it is a good starting point. However, I think that a Christian should grow beyond needing the use of the Roman's Road.

Don't get me wrong. In a "cold knocking" scenario, the Roman's Road is a useful tool. But I prefer prolonged contact evangelism where I discuss my Faith with people and show them what God has done in my life.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree with TC. We share Christ crucified and raised again so that people might hear the message of reconciliation.
    God is doing amazing things around the world with millions being saved. The US is an obstinate nation that imagines it is good without God. Such a stumbling block bodes badly for America.