1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evangelism Training

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JRG39402, Jul 8, 2007.

1. JRG39402

JRG39402 New Member

What do you find is the best way to train lay people on being effective witnesses for Christ? I am currently working on some simple steps on my website. What have you used at your chuches? Training from the pulpit only? A program? A ministry people get plugged into? A form of training for people to do it themselves? What are the pros and cons to each?

2. DodgeRamFanatic

DodgeRamFanatic New Member

It's interesting that you'd bring this up. I'm almost finished reading a totally amazing book--"Why Won't They Listen?" by Ken Ham, head of Answers in Genesis. I wish I could give one to every Christian on the planet. It tells how Christians have literally given ground to Satan, and how important it is that we rebuild our foundation and regain ground in order to reach this world for Christ. Check it out!

DRF

3. DodgeRamFanatic

DodgeRamFanatic New Member

Check out: answersingenesis.org They have tons of other resources for witnessing, etc. too.
    DRF

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I wouldn't use a program or do a class or even offer a special sermon series on "witnessing" but would rather take efforts to show people how to share their life story with someone.

Bill Hybels has a great text out called Just Walk Across the Room where he talks about how he shares his faith. I don't even recommend the book to read b/c that defeats the purpose for me.

Rather he gives one great piece of advice in the text and offers it for those who want to learn how to really share their story (ie. witness) to others. Write out your story in under 100 words without using any Christianese words, memorize it, and be able to simply tell about God's gift in your life.

I've done it and it is a great way to learn. The last thing we need is another program or witnessing platform...we just need to allow people to see how easy it is. :)

5. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Alright, this is simplicity at its best... but my pastor has done the best job by leading by example. This won't work with everyone obviously, for with most the hardest part is getting them to take the first step... but for those who are willing to work, lead them by example.

Our website has a book on it co-written by my pastor and a missionary to Korea, check it out at www.battlefieldbaptistchurch.com and click on the link "About My Father's Business". You can read it online, download it online, print it off, etc.