1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evangelist Bomb droppers

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by IfbReformer, Mar 24, 2005.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ever see a person who regularly fishes and never catches any fish? He will eventually through practice and wisdom.

Compare that to the book of Acts and Numbers especially the genealogies in other books. Numbers represent souls.

2. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi gb93433
    I didn't say that I wouldn't like to know, who is and who isn't. Of course I would be courious. Like I said our success is not in numbers but in our submission and compliance with the Lords commandments. This our only success. If men come to Christ because of what we say to them about Christ, can we take credit for what we didn't do? It is not us that leads men to Christ This is the work of Spirit to convict and convince.
    May Christ Shine His Light On Us all;
    Mike [​IMG]

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just heard some interesting stats as I am out here in SoCal seeing my grandkids.

At Saddleback (SBC church) they have 84k members. 80% of these were NOT transfers in from other churches of saved folks. These were people saved and baptized and discipled right here.

BTW, they had about 45k for Easter, with over 4000 first-time professions of faith, all of which are being followed up in the next two weeks! Amazing to be there.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If we are not to lead them then who is. How would you explain Acts 20:28, "Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood" if God does not appoint men as overseers?

The fact is that God has chosen men to be leaders. He has given gifts to the church for the body.

God has already given the proof. We are the messengers of the gospel.

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

gb, I you are mistaking proclamation of the Word for actually leading a man to Christ. No man comes, Christ said, unless the Father draws him.

Our duty is to faithfully proclaim the Gospel and nothing more. The results are in God's hands. I don't even like the term "soulwinning" since nobody can win a soul but Christ.

6. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

I have to agree that its my business to proclaim and I sure dont want any glory for soul-winning. Their is a crown to be rewarded by He who knows the hearts of men. I just do what the Great Commission commands and I couldnt tell you how many were saved at Mardi Gras or the other places that I go for witnessing.

tim

7. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Wow! 84k members at Saddleback? That IS amazing!!
    45K at Easter service? That IS amazing too! Amazingly sad. Crunch the numbers. 84 - 45 = 39k "members" NOT there.

In HIS service;
    Jim

8. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi gb93433;
    We are all messengers if we are in Christ but we are not all shepards.
    I'm not a pastor, or a Shepard. Just a pointer of sorts. I can point the way and I do. I have never considerd myself, a leader of men to Christ. The mission feild is concerned with telling people about Christ. It's the Pastors job to shepard the flock. When I tell someone about Christ and How to be saved, it really isn't me that is doing the convincing. It's the Spirit. I can't take credit for something I my self am not responsible for. With out Christ we are nothing. With Christ we are His tools. A wrench doesn't tighten a bolt by it self. It's worthless on it's own, until someone picks it up and uses it. I consider that pastors are the same way. They are used by the Spirit to do there specific job. The leading isn't done by the Pastor but by the Spirit, simply because the Pastor is nothing with out Christ.
    I'm not saying that Christians will not receive a reward for there service but they will cast those crowns down at the Lords feet.
    Our greatest reward is to hear our Lord say;

Mat 25:23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

May Christ Shine His Light On Us All;
    Mike [​IMG]

9. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

I am amazed at some of the criticisms I read on the BB. Like the criticism of Saddleback for not having 39K of its members present on Easter Sunday. Look at it this way: Saddleback had 54% of its members present. I'll take that percentage any Easter Sunday. Unless a church's membership numbers are very small, I imagine most pastors would be happy with 54% in attendance.

So, where were the absentees? Probably the same place mine and yours were!

10. Rookiepastor

Rookiepastor New Member

I think over 4,000 first time professions of faith is something to give God, praise, Glory and honor for... Wow...

God is good...

Praise God

11. Joman

Joman New Member

I hope at least 10% of real saved people out of 4,000

Profession is just a profession...lot of people just profess.

12. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Oh come on.. you guys should know that church membership means absolutely nothing at all. Just about every church has a bloated number for membership count. You cant go by that for anything.

tim

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not all. The evangelistic churches have more attenders than members.

14. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Well.. haha.. I had the SBC churches in my area in mind. What you can do is get the SBC Pastors Annual for the state of Louisiana..look at the membership number then compare it to Sunday School enrollment.. that will show you a difference for sure.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with most of what you said. But the Bible does speak of winning souls in Prov. 11:30, "The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he who is wise wins souls."

A good soldier of Christ Jesus comes with "the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." He si armed with a grasp of God's word.

God uses a strong proclamation of the word and obedience to it. I have never seen God use a whimp in the pulpit that does not believe what he preaches. I am not talking about a person who shouts stomps and spits ignorance but a clear simple declaration of the message of scripture

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Prov. 11:30 is not exactally a referance to the proclamation of the Gospel. Litterally the phrase "he who wins souls is wise" means: to take lives. That is in the sense of dong them good, or influencing them with wisdom's ways.

We could make the application of this to procaliming the Gospel, but the problem with the modern vernacular "soulwinning" is that it carries the idea that I am winning the soul to Christ. No one wins souls but Christ.

The fact is God has used the poorest of messages to bring people to Him. This is not an excuse for bad preaching, but just a reminder that God is not limited by the people He uses to fulfill His purposes.

17. DeaconLew

DeaconLew New Member

Maybe we should all sit back and let asses do the preaching!

Nu 22:28 And the LORD opened the mouth of the ass,

-DeaconLew

18. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

DeaconLew,

Most of us already are *****. [​IMG]

[ April 09, 2005, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Barnabas J. Halo ]

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, bro, speak for yourself!! [​IMG]

As for me, Hee-haw, hee-haw ;)

20. DeaconLew

DeaconLew New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not exactly the response I was looking for, but amen!

-DeaconLew